Interesting tweet: Kelly's offense too simple?

jake206

Reaction score
Apparently BWagz mentioned in post-game that, many of Kelly's plays could only be run one way, i.e. predictable. Is this true troll job from Bobby or perhaps a kernel of truth?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Makes me think of what they said on game planning for Denver in SB48, not respecting Peyton's deep throw ducks.

What I heard BWagz say was there are only "so many ways", not "one way".

Wagner was basically saying that the additional mental load on the Philly offensive players, for their fast-paced offense, was the same as the mental load on the Seattle players, i.e., all 11 players have to execute at high speed and not screw up as an offense. I gathered that Philly's offense is kept simple in some respects to allow fewer decisions to be made at higher speed. The intent, for both Philly O and Seattle D, is to beat you with speed and better execution, more so than trickery.

Sounds a bit like the offensive version of Seattle's "simplified" high speed defense.

keith da hawk

Reaction score
It's very simple. When you're running a play ever 22 seconds you can't give your offense too much to think about, so you're going to have a very simple playbook. The advantage you get with a simple playbook is it makes it easier for your team to execute the plays properly because you can practice the same few plays until it's perfect. The disadvantage being the defense doesn't have to face a lot of different looks when preparing, so they can just practice against the same few plays. In this case it was a clear advantage for Seattle.

FireHawk79

Reaction score
olyfan63":2pjmyh05 said:
Makes me think of what they said on game planning for Denver in SB48, not respecting Peyton's deep throw ducks.

What I heard BWagz say was there are only "so many ways", not "one way".

Wagner was basically saying that the additional mental load on the Philly offensive players, for their fast-paced offense, was the same as the mental load on the Seattle players, i.e., all 11 players have to execute at high speed and not screw up as an offense. I gathered that Philly's offense is kept simple in some respects to allow fewer decisions to be made at higher speed. The intent, for both Philly O and Seattle D, is to beat you with speed and better execution, more so than trickery.

Sounds a bit like the offensive version of Seattle's "simplified" high speed defense.

Thats sounds like a decent analysis. The only change I would make is swap trickery with "trickeration" :) but I agree and believe u are correct!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It's true. Kelly broke down college defenses by not giving them to rest and communicate. Doesn't work as well against an all- time NFL defense.

And it's not like Sanchez is the type of guy you want running a complex offense.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Mark Sanchez is a backup QB.

The Eagles are all about getting that first first down on the drive.

Seahawks didn't let them get there. Awesome coverage within 5 yards, absolutely suffocating on anything deep.

This game was a testament to the Seahawks, not a negative on the job that CK has done.

hawk35fan

Reaction score
Be great to see Kelly go back to the college game next year when the Eagles collapse. If you don't have a good or even decent QB, your not going to make it very far in the league.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawk35fan":9von8fer said:
Be great to see Kelly go back to the college game next year when the Eagles collapse. If you don't have a good or even decent QB, your not going to make it very far in the league.

There is no way Kelly leaves Philly after the season :lol: :lol:

I do think they will be in play at moving up for Mariota though. Call me crazy, but I could see them giving Foles and quite a few picks to arm Chip with his boy.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
SonicHawk":19mjhogx said:
Mark Sanchez is a backup QB.

The Eagles are all about getting that first first down on the drive.

Seahawks didn't let them get there. Awesome coverage within 5 yards, absolutely suffocating on anything deep.

This game was a testament to the Seahawks, not a negative on the job that CK has done.

I don't understand your angle. Its like you're blaming Sanchez while praising the Seahawks and throwing support at Chip Kelly.

I will say this backup or not, Sanchez was 3-1, averaging 300 yards per game, and was a full-time starter pretty much until last season.

And it wasn't just Sanchez that was shut down... it was that whole damn offense specifically McCoy, Sproles, Maclin, and the other WRs but Ertz.