Was impressed by O-Line pass-protection yesterday

themunn

Reaction score
Against the league's 2nd ranked team in sacks (7 games of 4+ sacks) last night I lost count of the number of plays where Wilson had 5+ seconds to make a throw before bailing the pocket, and we only gave up two sacks in the end.

I don't know how much of that was because they were spying on Wilson with Barwin a lot, but for all the criticism we give them, I have to step up and say they were impressive yesterday.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
For the most part, Wilson got some good exercise running for his life. The OL allowed 17 pressures, which is a significant total. It matches the most allowed this year (tied with the Broncos OT game and the Rams debacle).

Some of that is on Wilson for holding onto the ball too long, a lot of that is on the receivers for not creating separation, and most of that is on an offensive line that isn't built to pass protect well.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We had a few drives in the second half that featured what appeared to be some faster developing routes that looked pretty good.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yea, I guess our standards for protection are a little less than they are for other quarterbacks. I wouldn't say that I was impressed, just that we did a better job of managing the pass rush yesterday than we have in the past. The Eagles took us out of FG range on a couple of occasions with their pass rush.

So long as Russell isn't having to sprint the second he gets the ball, I suppose you can call our protection close enough for government work.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
themunn":c4qzpfgr said:
Against the league's 2nd ranked team in sacks (7 games of 4+ sacks) last night I lost count of the number of plays where Wilson had 5+ seconds to make a throw before bailing the pocket, and we only gave up two sacks in the end.

I don't know how much of that was because they were spying on Wilson with Barwin a lot, but for all the criticism we give them, I have to step up and say they were impressive yesterday.

All that is notoriety for the Eagles Defense is great, BUT, we've all heard a lot of shit about how RW isn't all he's cracked up to be.....Well? I think it's time for the RW detractors to eat some crow.
I'm okay with the accolades for the Eagles Defense, but how about giving some kudos to Russell Wilson for smoking their asses, and the spy, Barwin, for that Touchdown eh?

OP
OP
T

themunn

Reaction score
themunn":39ae9jeh said:

Yeah, Wilson still suffered a lot of pressure - but you can't contain D-Linemen forever, WRs weren't getting separation and if that's the case the pressure will get to him eventually - I'd say by eye that at least half of those pressures were after Wilson had plenty of time to make his reads, but nobody was open.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
One of the leading pass rush defenses in the league. A defense that doesn't rely on just one or two stud pass rushers that can be focused on and neutralized. A defense that excels at disguising where the pressure is going to come from. A defense that made Dallas's vaunted (and probably overrated) O-line their bitch on Thanksgiving.

and our young O-line still looked pretty decent in the pass pro against them.

I really don't know what some folks want out of our O-line, but it isn't realistic.

Our O-line looks great as a unit.

At this point of the season, they are probably one of the top ten units in the league and they are improving every week. They won't appear in the top ten in the rankings, cause O-line rankings aren't weighted to the most recent performances like overall offense sometimes is, but I can't think of ten O-lines that I would take over this one.

- bsd

kearly

Reaction score
One of those "sacks" was where Wilson extended a play for like 10 seconds and then ran out of bounds.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kearly":2idv3l5b said:
One of those "sacks" was where Wilson extended a play for like 10 seconds and then ran out of bounds.

Good point, I was just about to mention that.

I've seen some criticism of Britt on here and on Brock and Salk. IMO the issues are overblown. I just rewatched the game. Britt had 2 big negative plays. Play 1: He got beat by Vinny Curry resulting in a RW sack, Play 2: Got beat around the corner leading to Wilson being hit as he threw a deep pass to Kearse which he missed over his outside shoulder.

Other than that I think he played a pretty decent game in pass pro. He had help in a number of plays. He also 3 really good pass blocks that extended plays. 1) He kept at his block allowing RW to run for a sizable gain, There was a pancake block that eliminated his guy from the play allowed a big pass. Lastly, He was able to push his guy past RW allowing him time to scramble. Those were the 3 most obvious "GOOD" plays he had.

I think this experience will payoff big next year. I'm glad he's been healthy and been able to start each game. Next year the line should be a lot better with Sweezy & Britt playing together and another year to work on technique.

Cartire

Reaction score
I was trying to see where the recievers were on some of those plays. Have to wait for the All-22. But there were a few plays where RW had MAD time in the pocket. And was looking.....and looking...and looking.

He either A) didnt see the open man or B) our guys couldnt get open.

With that said, they figured it out in the 2nd half. Maybe it was the D getting tired, or they just changed it up to some more quick seam routes, but we were an awesome team in the passing game in the 2nd half.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
And let's hear it for LJP! He has made a huge difference already. I haven't watched a replay yet so let me ask, On the 10 second Wilson scramble, did no one get open at all?

Smellyman

Reaction score
sure seemed like when he did stay in the pocket and let it go, he was drilled immediately. He was getting creamed.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1cpos3be said:
And let's hear it for LJP! He has made a huge difference already. I haven't watched a replay yet so let me ask, On the 10 second Wilson scramble, did no one get open at all?

He was running for his life. Seahawks fans are a little spoiled because they have become so accustomed to Wilson's elusiveness in the pocket. It's always fun to hear from the fan of another team when they appreciate his uncanny ability to elude the constant pressure he faces in the backfield.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It'll take a step back the next three weeks as we face the three defenses that are specifically coached and manned to beat Wilson. Russell Wilson will be "running for his life again"...i.e. the receivers' shortcomings exposed, Bevell calling plays poorly, Wilson making panicky decisions and not finding any running room...

Though I have no doubt we'll be just fine. Whatever frustrations we have on offense, it doesn't compare to the frustrations opposing offenses are having right now. :D

kearly":4no18y49 said:

The other was another where he refused to throw the ball away.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Britt was bad. Otherwise the line protected well.
In the pass game at least...

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2t9i9qlr said:
It'll take a step back the next three weeks as we face the three defenses that are specifically coached and manned to beat Wilson. Russell Wilson will be "running for his life again"...i.e. the receivers' shortcomings exposed, Bevell calling plays poorly, Wilson making panicky decisions and not finding any running room...

Though I have no doubt we'll be just fine. Whatever frustrations we have on offense, it doesn't compare to the frustrations opposing offenses are having right now. :D

kearly":2t9i9qlr said:

The other was another where he refused to throw the ball away.

Did that count the intentional grounding?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The O line could have given up 6 sacks easily considering RW had to made some quick plays and throw away passes to avoid sacks. An example was the play where Cox was immediately in Wilson's face but Wilson did a half spin back then curled right to throw to Richardson for a first down. Fletcher Cox had a free shot on RW but got his ankles broken by RW on that maneuver. RW also threw away a pass in the pocket under quick pressure that could have been called for intentional grounding. All in all the O line did well considering they had more plays than usual and faced a formidable defense that is good at pressuring the qb.

RiverDog

Reaction score
kearly":n99mxzp3 said:

That was one of Russell's worst moments of the game. He pulled off his best Seneca Wallace impersonation by running out of bounds behind the LOS.

tdigitee

Reaction score
Cartire":3qip0c38 said:
I was trying to see where the recievers were on some of those plays. Have to wait for the All-22. But there were a few plays where RW had MAD time in the pocket. And was looking.....and looking...and looking.

Agreed - I did not see every play but I was pleasantly surprised by a number of plays where Wilson not only was given a decent amount of time versus a powerful D-line, but stayed in the actual pocket instead of scrambling after a 2-count. It seemed as if he'd been told to try and hang in the pocket more. Granted a few of those instances resulted in sacks or hits, but he also made some nice plays hanging in there.

RiverDog

Reaction score
tdigitee":1g1rrcyy said:
Cartire":1g1rrcyy said:

Agreed - I did not see every play but I was pleasantly surprised by a number of plays where Wilson not only was given a decent amount of time versus a powerful D-line, but stayed in the actual pocket instead of scrambling after a 2-count. It seemed as if he'd been told to try and hang in the pocket more. Granted a few of those instances resulted in sacks or hits, but he also made some nice plays hanging in there.

I think Philly might have been playing him a little differently, too, not wanting to get burned by his scrambling. I heard the Philly spy (forget his name) say that their goal was to keep Russell in front of them, which means staying in your pass rushing lanes and not over pursuing.