I'm not entirely sure if I'll get crucified saying this...

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
After the last three game stretch, I'm going to dare to say that this version of the Legion of Boom is better than last years.

Browner was an absolute monster physically and at times had a tenacious mentality and would destroy blockers and ball carriers, but he was very lacking at times on the pursuit end of things. Whether it be due to his frame or natural size, he wouldn't always close distances very well with ball carriers getting behind him. He relied pretty heavily on jamming the receivers at the LOS, which his strength and size enabled him to do very proficiently.

Thurmond was an enigma at times, although he could be lightning fast and his ball instincts were pretty good, he wasn't a particularly good tackler, IIRC. He was great in the slot however, and when he became healthy it was great to see him when he was on his game, flying to the ball.

This year, primarily using last game as a model, with Simon and Maxwell, this personnel package is seriously a thing of beauty. Simon can without a doubt hold his own on the flank and Maxwell thrives at covering the slot receiver.

Just my .02, since it is what it is. And most people would agree that our D-line is quite where it was last year. Especially with Bane out now. Even though the silver lining is that Jordan Hill is finally starting to come into his own. The fact that our current secondary is absolutely (legally) smothering people and thriving shows a heluva lot of promise.

Hasselbeck and Holmgren made me a lifelong fan, visited Seattle and caught the Bears game when Mora was still coach and right now it's a privilege to be a 'Hawks fan. Not to mention having some of the most intelligent and witty fans in the league.

Cheers, gentlemen.

Cartire

Reaction score
Maxwell was intimidating as the Nickle corner. Im really liking him there. He was responsible for something like 5 of the 3rd down stops.

Simon has looked comfortable and quick on the outside.

Im actually concerned about Lane coming back and mixing up this dynamic. I cant see where lane would fit, and I dont want him replacing one of those 2 right now.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Honestly I felt the same way. I didn't want to say it because it's in a span of 3 games... but... in these three games, i think they played their best defense ever (besides SB). It's feels to be in the same neighborhood though. The reason is an easy one; because players get better each coming year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
remember when Simon, Maxwell and Lane were all sidelined for large stretches?

that is why the D struggled at times (along with Wags and Kam hurting). With all those guys available and Burley only coming in dime or to give some rest to guys, the LOB is suffocating.

enamel

Reaction score
Maxwell is so ideal for the Nickel. All season on the outside he's been giving up the catch and shutting down any chance of YAC. He's still got the same MO, but he's doing it against dumpoffs and slants that require YAC to work. And with less overall ground to cover, he's even in position to break up more passes.

I suppose the concern is if he has to cover for too long on crossing routes, he'll break down. We need pass rush to stay sharp to make the most of him on the slot receiver.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":13sj51s7 said:
After the last three game stretch, I'm going to dare to say that this version of the Legion of Boom is better than last years.

Browner was an absolute monster physically and at times had a tenacious mentality and would destroy blockers and ball carriers, but he was very lacking at times on the pursuit end of things. Whether it be due to his frame or natural size, he wouldn't always close distances very well with ball carriers getting behind him. He relied pretty heavily on jamming the receivers at the LOS, which his strength and size enabled him to do very proficiently.

Thurmond was an enigma at times, although he could be lightning fast and his ball instincts were pretty good, he wasn't a particularly good tackler, IIRC. He was great in the slot however, and when he became healthy it was great to see him when he was on his game, flying to the ball.

This year, primarily using last game as a model, with Simon and Maxwell, this personnel package is seriously a thing of beauty. Simon can without a doubt hold his own on the flank and Maxwell thrives at covering the slot receiver.

Just my .02, since it is what it is. And most people would agree that our D-line is quite where it was last year. Especially with Bane out now. Even though the silver lining is that Jordan Hill is finally starting to come into his own. The fact that our current secondary is absolutely (legally) smothering people and thriving shows a heluva lot of promise.

Hasselbeck and Holmgren made me a lifelong fan, visited Seattle and caught the Bears game when Mora was still coach and right now it's a privilege to be a 'Hawks fan. Not to mention having some of the most intelligent and witty fans in the league.

Cheers, gentlemen.
I'm really looking forward to Simon getting into the groove, because he has everything he needs to be an outstanding player for us, he will need to work on his finesse, and keep his head in the game, but I think he has the right players around him to bring him along.
This Defense is Sick Good, and I love it.

smerfy01

Reaction score
well we're not quite to the level of dominance in the secondary we were last year, but our run D has been just ridiculous. 17.5 yards a game less allowed than last year.

Gametime

Reaction score
Cartire":3ppf0fsu said:
Maxwell was intimidating as the Nickle corner. Im really liking him there. He was responsible for something like 5 of the 3rd down stops.

Simon has looked comfortable and quick on the outside.

Im actually concerned about Lane coming back and mixing up this dynamic. I cant see where lane would fit, and I dont want him replacing one of those 2 right now.

I agree 100%. That look was nasty!!!! Getting Lane back gives more depth but if the DB's stay healthy and continue to gel, they are scary tough to beat.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
It's definitely something to look forward to. They, of course, were playing against more traditional sized wideouts. Of the three games remaining, the Rams seriously concern me the most. And not primarily because of their WR's.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1c3b4wug said:
I'm not saying you're wrong. But Skelton, Kaepernick and Sanchez is not exactly murderers row.

Not to underestimate a single person, but we have Kaepernick, Stanton, and Shaun Hill.

We'll obviously see how it all plays out.

Oh, and btw JS, it was Stanton, not Skelton. That was soooooo 2013. ;)

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":d4rc1nca said:
Honestly I felt the same way. I didn't want to say it because it's in a span of 3 games... but... in these three games, i think they played their best defense ever (besides SB). It's feels to be in the same neighborhood though. The reason is an easy one; because players get better each coming year.

Our guys are just now reaching their prime. Some of them, like Sherm and ET, could potentially keep this level of play going for 5-7 more years.

mikeak

Reaction score
Look I been on the Simin bandwagon since I saw his college tape after the draft. Loved what I saw. So with that said....

Was it just me or did he lose the WR on the int? He stopped running like oh crap I guess I am done, turns his head and oh there is the ball and goes for it.

To me it really looked like he gave up in the play. Now there might have been a handover on the receiver but that is how it looked to me

Thoughts?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Gametime":12p1n9cb said:
I agree 100%. That look was nasty!!!! Getting Lane back gives more depth but if the DB's stay healthy and continue to gel, they are scary tough to beat.

Even the "Talking Heads" at ESPN agreed with you. The Monday Night Post Game discussion tonight revealed that the rest of the NFL has taken notice of our Defense. Nobody wants a piece of us!

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2ehvurc8 said:
Gametime":2ehvurc8 said:

Even the "Talking Heads" at ESPN agreed with you. The Monday Night Post Game discussion tonight revealed that the rest of the NFL has taken notice of our Defense. Nobody wants a piece of us!

Jordan Hill needs to keep his progress going and keep healthy. He is seriously do well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Maxy moving inside in the nickel with Simon on the outside is better than last years secondary IMO.

Maxwell is just downright nasty as a slot DB. He shut down Matthews yesterday. Johnson/Boldin/Crabtree couldn't do anything either

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":cbkkl5qe said:
I'm not saying you're wrong. But Skelton, Kaepernick and Sanchez is not exactly murderers row.

JSeahawks would probably trade our secondary for Oregon's without hesitation.

Homer.

;)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1kk6vn8b said:
JSeahawks":1kk6vn8b said:

JSeahawks would probably trade our secondary for Oregon's without hesitation.

Homer.

;)

No, but oregons ifo ekpre-olomu would fit in perfectly!

Dismas

Reaction score
mikeak":z4eahp7f said:
Look I been on the Simin bandwagon since I saw his college tape after the draft. Loved what I saw. So with that said....

Was it just me or did he lose the WR on the int? He stopped running like oh crap I guess I am done, turns his head and oh there is the ball and goes for it.

To me it really looked like he gave up in the play. Now there might have been a handover on the receiver but that is how it looked to me

Thoughts?

Actually looked to me like Simon was responsible for the outside guy, saw the ball going to the middle guy, and left his man to go get the pick.

If you fine a replay of that, you will see a receiver going free up the sideline, after Tharold let him go.