Blandino on Kelce 'fumble' v Huff non fumble

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had an officiating query following the games on Sunday. Dean Blandino said the KC fumble play was correctly called because as soon as the player started to lose control of the ball, its treated as a new catch (i.e. he was going to the ground and because he didn't control the ball throughout the process it was a deemed a fumble. Basically irrelevant that he was "down").

If this is the rule (not something I've seen before), then why wasn't the big punt return by Huff ruled a fumble? He loses control of the ball, regains as he is being tackled to the ground and loses it when he hits the floor. Seattle recovers.

Am I missing something? Not sure how both calls can be right.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Because Blandino is full of sh--, there is no way you can say with 100% certainty that Kelce lost control of the ball before his knee hit, all replay angles showed him lose the ball WELL AFTER his knee was down, it was one of the worst overturns I've ever seen. There was not indisputable video evidence to overturn it, it was a fixing from the bigwigs of the NFL including Goodell.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The ball began to wiggle out of Kelce's grasp as he went down, but it was unclear if he re-established control before the ball popped out after that. Still, they called him down on the field, which means the league office had to ignore the possibility a whistle blew to give the ball to the Cards.

It was theoretically no different than the Huff "fumble".

OP
OP
F

Followthelegion

Reaction score
On the Kelce one, he bobbled before hitting the ground, reestablished whilst hitting the floor but Blandino is saying that as soon as you lose control, re-establishment criteria is the same as a catch. Thus, he would have had to hold onto the ball throughout his tumble. The fact he was down when he had secured the ball is seemingly irrelevant.

Seattle one was pretty much identical circumstances?

SChawk27

Reaction score
That's too bad that no one from the media has asked Blandino to compare the two situations. Would be entertaining at least to see him try to explain that one away.

Never was a huge fan of Pereira, but he was way, way better than Blandino.

pehawk

Reaction score
That wasn't even the worst call in that game. Awesomeness was the OPI called about a second after the Chiefs scored to potentially go up 21-9. It sure looked and felt like a forced flag.

Next play? Smith couldn't quite get the ball 10 yards on a slant.

The SC sports radio show yesterday AM brought it up too, their thoughts on it were the same as mine. And, they have no reason to care.

Hawks46

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1bn1t91x said:
Blandino has been worse than Periera when it comes to blindly backing every single gaffe from the officiating crews.

Pereira was 100%. Lol how can you be worse than that ? 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RunTheBall":2621yo9r said:
Because Blandino is full of sh--, there is no way you can say with 100% certainty that Kelce lost control of the ball before his knee hit, all replay angles showed him lose the ball WELL AFTER his knee was down, it was one of the worst overturns I've ever seen. There was not indisputable video evidence to overturn it, it was a fixing from the bigwigs of the NFL including Goodell.
Your first sentence says it all, end of discussion!

Rainger

Reaction score
Because the league wants certain teams to get to the playoffs and one of them is Arizona. That makes the call to overturn it and preserve the Zona win correct.

canfan

Reaction score
Blandino makes me want to change the channel every time I see him. A slick liar who puts whatever spin makes the league look best on every bad call. Hopefully next year we get to see footage of him going under Jerry Jone's stripper bus instead of on it.

nepahawk

Reaction score
The whole review back in NY, raises more concerns than trusted reviews with me.
I feel that NY knows what is happening across the games and can control outcomes as needed.

This only feeds my conspiracy theories.