Russell listened to me last week!!

Tical21

Reaction score
When watching games on TV, and even more so in person, the phrase you will hear me use the most is "get rid of it Russ." I say this basically at the snap, as soon as what looks pre-snap like a blitz materializes into an actual blitz. I say this so often because the difference between getting rid of it early or holding it too long is similar to a Jessica Alba/Kathy Bates hot body contest. For almost three years now, I've said this, I dunno, 6-10 times per game. And Russell almost never listens to me. I was starting to question whether or not he can hear me.

You can't blitz guys like Brees or Rodgers, etc., very often. They identify, get rid of the ball before the blitz gets there, and just kill you with it. More often than not, Russell prefers to dance in this situation, knowing that if he can run around the blitz, there is likely nobody else there to stop him from running for a big gain. The problem is that it creates quite a few sacks and desperation throw-aways. You gotta attack that blitz! Make them pay for blitzing!

I said it 6-8 times this weekend, and way more often than he usually ever does, he obliged. He was getting rid of that football. When you see a blitz, and you see a QB get rid of the ball in rhythm, that is when I stand up because you know the play is going to be big. If you see a blitz and you see the QB hit his back foot and not get rid of the ball, you're usually in trouble. On the Doug Baldwin TD, I was standing up and cheering as soon as the ball left Russell's hand. Game over.

This has probably been the one area that I have wanted most to see some improvement from Russell over the years. Get rid of it Russ!

shawnsim

Reaction score
Tical21":2r7a2ng6 said:
When watching games on TV, and even more so in person, the phrase you will hear me use the most is "get rid of it Russ." I say this basically at the snap, as soon as what looks pre-snap like a blitz materializes into an actual blitz. I say this so often because the difference between getting rid of it early or holding it too long is similar to a Jessica Alba/Kathy Bates hot body contest. For almost three years now, I've said this, I dunno, 6-10 times per game. And Russell almost never listens to me. I was starting to question whether or not he can hear me.

You can't blitz guys like Brees or Rodgers, etc., very often. They identify, get rid of the ball before the blitz gets there, and just kill you with it. More often than not, Russell prefers to dance in this situation, knowing that if he can run around the blitz, there is likely nobody else there to stop him from running for a big gain. The problem is that it creates quite a few sacks and desperation throw-aways. You gotta attack that blitz! Make them pay for blitzing!

I said it 6-8 times this weekend, and way more often than he usually ever does, he obliged. He was getting rid of that football. When you see a blitz, and you see a QB get rid of the ball in rhythm, that is when I stand up because you know the play is going to be big. If you see a blitz and you see the QB hit his back foot and not get rid of the ball, you're usually in trouble. On the Doug Baldwin TD, I was standing up and cheering as soon as the ball left Russell's hand. Game over.

This has probably been the one area that I have wanted most to see some improvement from Russell over the years. Get rid of it Russ!

Meh. I get what your saying and tend to agree. That's my left brain working. My right brain says run around and create plays that just drop jaws. I love what he does (with a few exceptions) sometimes its very nerve racking to watch. What he does imo is what makes him so special.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Couple things. Experience and playcall. Those, as much as anything drive that "hot read" or blitz response. And usually they aren't big plays, just safe plays to avoid a sack. Playmakers at WR and RB can turn them into big gains though.

Russell's also hindered by the coach's number one demand. Do not turn the ball over! Defenses can feed on these hot reads to jump routes for turnovers. Gruden even mentioned that in his QB Camp with Russell.

Baldwin's TD was an example of the right playcall for that D. Baldwin broke some ankles and Wilson just dropped it into the endzone. Not much reading needed.

Wilson will always be a bit handicapped in this area, as his mobility allows him to often meet both demands...safe throw and big play. He needs to keep growing in the read-and-adjust-the-play at the line ability to truly get to the Steve Young level.

shawnsim

Reaction score
Good post. I just look at Kaep. They are forcing him into a position where he cannot excel. I think that Wilson needs to get better at getting the ball out on time but, damn I love the magic that happens when he creates plays.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
shawnsim":1qpcae1l said:
Tical21":1qpcae1l said:

Meh. I get what your saying and tend to agree. That's my left brain working. My right brain says run around and create plays that just drop jaws. I love what he does (with a few exceptions) sometimes its very nerve racking to watch. What he does imo is what makes him so special.
Agreed but give him 2 more years and he will make everyone forget Steve Young, he's nearly there right now.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I agree with some of what you guys say but again you are making some assumptions, like there is a hot read, or he is allowed to change the play. It could be they feel Rw can make 1 guy miss so they do not give a hot read. I have watched a lot of games and hardley seen a hot read or check down, it has been one of my complaints for some time.

I guess for me the biggest issue is the assumption, there are a lot of variables and possibilities as to why what happens, happens and to assume it is all on Rw is well short sighted

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anthony!":10flp2ln said:
I agree with some of what you guys say but again you are making some assumptions, like there is a hot read, or he is allowed to change the play. It could be they feel Rw can make 1 guy miss so they do not give a hot read. I have watched a lot of games and hardley seen a hot read or check down, it has been one of my complaints for some time.

I guess for me the biggest issue is the assumption, there are a lot of variables and possibilities as to why what happens, happens and to assume it is all on Rw is well short sighted
Who said it was all on Russell Wilson?

Who?

You are tilting windmills.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26n6ze9u said:
Anthony!":26n6ze9u said:

Who said it was all on Russell Wilson?

Who?

You are tilting windmills.

Okay lets play who here bought up it was on anyone else? All anyone did was say Rw needs to do this and that.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
You indicated that some assume it is all on Russell. I simply want to know who say that.

Waiting.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
On one hand, I like the idea that he's staying put and getting rid of the ball when his 'timer' goes off, rather than losing half of the field by scrambling L/R. On the other hand, I like what happens when he creates, because that usually means the opponent has the play well covered AND/OR it's absolute bedlam in the backfield, as it has been so often with our patchwork line.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Until Sunday, the Hawks were averaging 3 yards a play when the opposition sends 6 or more rushers. 5 off the average of 2013.

Tical is 100 percent correct that if there is no first read, get rid of it in those situations. And like he said, for the most part Russ did.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think Seattle is still trying to perfect that happy medium between running a functional quick-strike offense against the blitz and also making sure it's utilizing Russell's ability to create plays. The latter is what scares opposing teams -- Russell juking free rushers and getting chunk yardage by run or pass. To limit him entirely one philosophy or the other would be a mistake, I think. The more we try to make this a completely conventional pocket-passing offense, the more our weaknesses at WR/TE would likely become exposed. With this particular group, I don't think we'd be better than average using a pocket-centric approach against the blitz. On the other hand, it is important to continue developing Russell's pocket ability for now and the future.

To be fair though, I also feel the most encouraged when Russell is getting the ball out quickly to his receivers. Good things happen when our receivers get involved in the game, and I still think Russell has room to grow there. And I think the team really wants him to excel at both of these things; and to get the ball out faster when the play-call dictates it. That being said, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Pete is just fine with leaning pretty heavily on "lotto plays" and scheming for them.

Here's what he said on Brock&Salk on Monday:

Brock: Ideal offensive football for you is what, Pete?

Pete: Just do what we're doing. Just pound the football and don't give it to 'em. And all the good things happen. Marshawn makes the plays, and Doug makes the plays. You can just see it, and Jermaine makes the plays. And, of course, Russell makes the plays happen.

That's our style of football: Russell lookin' up; he doesn't see what he needs to see to throw the football, and then moving around and finding the guy standing all by himself. I mean, get used to it. That's what it is. And I don't mind it one bit. That's the way we play at our best when our guys are doing what they can do. It keeps us consistently "at it" and it's a hard, hard element for our opponent.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Russell made some very smart plays, buying time to scramble for positive yards or just plain getting rid of the ball. I still want to see him and the team handle situation ball better, though. They took two sacks on two separate drives which put them out of field goal range. Both were avoidable with a throwaway.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":jx1zr2or said:
You indicated that some assume it is all on Russell. I simply want to know who say that.

Waiting.

Dude the title of the thread is Russell Listened to me, and the OP specified Wilson.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":14y0bu40 said:
Russell made some very smart plays, buying time to scramble for positive yards or just plain getting rid of the ball. I still want to see him and the team handle situation ball better, though. They took two sacks on two separate drives which put them out of field goal range. Both were avoidable with a throwaway.

Ye sand if he throws it away you do not get those plays and may even get grounding penalties. I am still amazed at how you guys only want to nick pick on anything and everything. For everyone you want him to throw it away on he has 5 were he makes something happen.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":384274ri said:
Recon_Hawk":384274ri said:

Ye sand if he throws it away you do not get those plays and may even get grounding penalties. I am still amazed at how you guys only want to nick pick on anything and everything. For everyone you want him to throw it away on he has 5 were he makes something happen.

There's not a football coach at any level that would think pointing out two mistakes that left 6 points off the board as nit-picking. Hell, I even gave him a compliment to open up this thought cause people like you can't even discuss any scrutiny of Russell without getting your panties in a bunch.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":312o81xd said:
Anthony!":312o81xd said:
Recon_Hawk":312o81xd said:

There's not a football coach at any level that would think pointing out two mistakes that left 6 points off the board as nit-picking. Hell, I even gave him a compliment to open up this thought cause people like you can't even discuss any scrutiny of Russell without getting your panties in a bunch.

Because people like you cannot just say he had a great game and leave it like that, there is always a but.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2p1z84yi said:
Recon_Hawk":2p1z84yi said:
Anthony!":2p1z84yi said:
Recon_Hawk":2p1z84yi said:

Because people like you cannot just say he had a great game and leave it like that, there is always a but.

Yet after a game where the receivers and offensive line played great, you got no problem pointing out the "yeah but" to their weakness to prop up Wilson. It's hypocritical bro.

Look, I played football, basketball, baseball, and golf competitively through high school and still play some of that today. Even after a great performance, I always looked for ways to get better. I don't sugarcoat or hide mistakes because I want to see improvement and I carry that over to being a fan. It's not the way you want fans to act. Whatever. Get over it.

And maybe someday, I'll be a coach and I'll act the same way. You don't get better by avoiding discussing mistakes in sports.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anthony!":39o72yb0 said:
Scottemojo":39o72yb0 said:

Waiting.

Dude the title of the thread is Russell Listened to me, and the OP specified Wilson.
I read his post again. He never hung offensive woes all on Russ. He made an accurate point about needing to get rid of the ball faster vs bltzing.
Fact. in 2012, Seattle averaged about 6 yards a play vs 6 or more blitzers.
In 2013, that average climbed to 8 yards a play.
In 2014, it is less than 4 yards a play vs all out blitzes of 6 or more pass rushers.

They aren't blitzing the tailback. They aren't blitzing the tight end. They are blitzing Russell Wilson. Getting rid of the ball quickly to beat the blitz is kind of an accepted philosophy on beating a blitz.

Facts are facts.

And I am still waiting to find out who said ALL the offensive issues are on Russell. Certainly it was not the OP.

pehawk

Reaction score
Maybe this is why the offense seemed different on Sunday?

This is a great thread, lot of good stuff.

Anthony!, are you a big Catcher in the Rye fan? Have you ever wanted to get the attention of Jodi Foster?