Russell Wilson's toughness

12thManNorth

Reaction score
You hardly ever hear anybody talk much about it, but an under appreciated aspect of RW has gotta be his toughness. On some of the hits he takes, he's getting blown up by guys up to 100 lbs heavier than he is, all while in pretty vulnerable positions after releasing the ball. He's a wizard at avoiding big hits while on the run, but still takes a few big hits every game from having the tenacity to stand in the pocket and take a big hit in order to complete a pass. If he knows we badly need a first down on the play, he will sacrifice himself for an extra yard or two if need be, so it's not like he always Shaun Alexander's it. Since he's been here, I can't remember one single play that he's missed, or even a time where he missed a practice. Given some of the lemon QB's out there (especially of the running variety), you gotta give it to the guy

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
12thManNorth":35llmzhf said:
You hardly ever hear anybody talk much about it, but an under appreciated aspect of RW has gotta be his toughness. On some of the hits he takes, he's getting blown up by guys up to 100 lbs heavier than he is, all while in pretty vulnerable positions after releasing the ball. He's a wizard at avoiding big hits while on the run, but still takes a few big hits every game from having the tenacity to stand in the pocket and take a big hit in order to complete a pass. If he knows we badly need a first down on the play, he will sacrifice himself for an extra yard or two if need be, so it's not like he always Shaun Alexander's it. Since he's been here, I can't remember one single play that he's missed, or even a time where he missed a practice. Given some of the lemon QB's out there (especially of the running variety), you gotta give it to the guy
The obvious comparison would be RG3. That kid has been used up by Washington and Shanahan in particular. Wilson is smart enough to mitigate his exposure so as not put himself in position to get hurt for the most part. Any QB is going to get hit at some point. Ours is just really good at making the proper decisions when it counts. The flip side of this is how many players have been injured trying in vain to reign in Wilson. I see big DE's and LB's cartwheeling all over the ground every week trying to get hold of him only to be juked into the next county when he goes all Barry Sanders on them.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
12thManNorth":1rm9wyek said:

I think Russell Wilson is more athletic than a lot of the Quarterbacks in the League, and is aware of his proximity to the Defenders that are coming for him, BUT my biggest worry with Wilson, is that he'll get hit with a cheap shot, like a knee to the head like in the game against the Eagles.(no flags)
Matt Hasselbeck is a prime example of getting screwed up by a defender rolling up on his knees, (no damned flags) and being laid up with a cheap shot injury.

253hawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":19fnw3on said:
Matt Hasselbeck is a prime example of getting screwed up by a defender rolling up on his knees, (no damned flags) and being laid up with a cheap shot injury.

HasselbeckHitWillis.jpg

dradee

Reaction score
Russ is stocky and obviously a strong dude in comparison look at Johnny footballs skinny girl body, he is gonna get killed.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Other than getting crunched in the pocket, my main injury concern is when Russell runs downfield. Not so much getting hit by defenders in front or from the side, cause he can see those and avoid them somewhat. It's the ones chasing him from behind that he doesn't see and hit him as he tries to avoid or slide by those in front. That's how he was injured in college at NC State in their bowl game against Rutgers. Kinda twisted his leg when he tried to slide. Missed the second half and they proceeded to lose.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only times he's had semi-known injuries was the shoulder last year and a concussion this year (or last?), both of which came from getting drilled in the pocket.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":3ia1l3o8 said:
253hawk":3ia1l3o8 said:
scutterhawk":3ia1l3o8 said:

HasselbeckHitWillis.jpg
Heh. Beat me to it. First thing I thought of...

" I hear you knocking...but you cant ..... oh dammmit......"
Is that what the right hand was doing there? :mrgreen: