Some All-22 of Russell Wilson's Decision Making vs Eagle D

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
This is an article from Fieldgulls breaking down some of the plays that may make a Receiver look open on TV while the All-22 showcase what is actually going on. I enjoyed the article and it gives some great insight to why the All-22 is very important. We only see what we see on TV and we never get the whole picture. The guy might be cherry picking some plays, but none the less it still illustrates what's going on and the decisions that Russell has to make.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-...ell-wilsons-all-22-quarterback-evaluation-nfl

Smellyman

Reaction score
always giggle a bit at posters who say qb's had open receivers. Guess who misses open receivers? every qb in the history of the game.

guess who thinks receivers are open? every forum poster after watching replays of tv footage.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. There were numerous times during the game where Russell was just holding the ball forever and I was wondering what was going on - why couldn't he find someone open? But the small viewing window they give us on the play makes it hard to tell. This article tells me that I was wrong to think for a second that Russell didn't know what he was doing.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Russell is going to make mistakes, he's not perfect by any means and he did make some mistakes in the Eagles game by not getting rid of the ball sooner, but we also have to remember he's still in his 3rd year and have no deep threat WR.

sutz

Reaction score
Smellyman":1ej7ra4t said:
always giggle a bit at posters who say qb's had open receivers. Guess who misses open receivers? every qb in the history of the game.

guess who thinks receivers are open? every forum poster after watching replays of tv footage.
Well, if you ask, most WRs will claim they were open all the time. ;)

sutz

Reaction score
I've been saying this for a while. It's nice to comment on performance based on TV, but we as fans did not have access to real game film prior to the All 22 releases.

Nice write up. Thanks for the link.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love the all-22. It's dead silent, no commentator bias, gives a much better idea of what the pressure was like from play to play.

I thought that in the first half especially, Russell was way off. He rolled right one time, threw a ball away essentially, and missed a wide open Lockette to do so. Lockette was matching him stride for stride moving right, but Russ didn't see him. Unlike the pictures in your link, there were no players lurking on Lockette's route on that play. But it was a scramble drill, and stuff gets missed on scramble drills. Shit happens. And Philly is a hell of a team, great at pressure and forcing turnovers, so to do yeoman's work vs them like Wilson did on a terrible weather day is no small thing.

Fact is, Wilson got lucky on that near pick six, the conversation here might be quite different if that ball gets housed. But he also got our offense the chunk plays it craves.

It's no coincidence that the line played better in the 2nd half and so did Wilson.

when I saw the weather report I knew it would be a bad day for quarterbacks in Philly, and it would be worse for the light armed Sanchez than for Wilson, which proved quite true. That ball that Baldwin caught by his shoe strings on the left side got hung up in the wind. Other passes got moved by the gusty conditions too. All in all it was a solid performance.

pehawk

Reaction score
All-22 is only as good as the viewer.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks theincrediblesok and Scott for the report. It did feel like RW was better in the 2nd half so good to know that was the case. Hope the weather is better Sunday. The present forecast is very promising..........50 degrees, 0% chance of rain and winds "light and variable".

pehawk

Reaction score
I haven't watched the game again, but live I remember thinking Wilson was off in the first half. Mentally and physically. My guess is a combination of wind and taking the speed of that Eagles front 7 for granted were causes of his early struggles.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":c5ktzcux said:
I haven't watched the game again, but live in remember thinking Wilson was off in the first half. Mentally and physically.

My guess is that was a combination of wind and taking the speed of that Eagles front 7 for granted.
And likely better pass pro in the 2nd half as Scott mentioned.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":6xzn8qwr said:

Hardly anyone thinks Seattle's receivers are getting open. Quite the opposite actually.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I get annoyed by bloggers who want to avoid sounding wishy-washy and thus focus on or: QB decision making, or offensive playcalling, or WR separation, or OL pass protection, or defensive adjustments, or penalties, or audibles. It's always and, and Russ could have played better.

kearly

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":16kg709k said:
Why can't we just watch football in All-22? Screw broadcast view.

Because 99% of fans watch for the game experience rather than as an act of information gathering. All-22 looks quite a bit shittier than broadcast, and to most fans that would be a deal breaker.

It's basically the same reason why nosebleed seats are cheaper than front row. You see the game better from further up, but you see the action better up close.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3c1ib3l8 said:
pehawk":3c1ib3l8 said:
I haven't watched the game again, but live in remember thinking Wilson was off in the first half. Mentally and physically.

My guess is that was a combination of wind and taking the speed of that Eagles front 7 for granted.
And likely better pass pro in the 2nd half as Scott mentioned.

Better pass pro happens when you wear their speed guys out with the run. A lot of teams (like us) tend to sub guys in to rush on 3rd downs, but when you stick with the run like we do, we end up in favorable down and distances where you can either run or pass, this making defensive substitutions more of a guess.

Also, when we keep pounding with the run like we do, the other team tend to keep their larger run stuffers in the game, most of whom aren't as good at getting penetration and getting to the QB.

I bet if you watch all of our games the last 2 years, in the games where we've established the run and have good TOP in the 1st half, our pass protection looks a lot better in the 2nd half. It's not like our OL is magically "getting it". It's fatigue, something that Pete and Cable game plan for.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3nwr7q0q said:

It may have been in the early 80s (or earlier) that the networks, tired of complaints about their sub-par broadcast crews (same as it ever was), did go no commentary thru-out several (sample) games. I thought I would like it but have to confess, I preferred the mindless bantering over no commentary at all. You could hear the sounds of the game but it was much like just turning your volume off. The idea was scraped almost immediately.

I do know people that turn their volume right off but my mind doesn't work that way. I have to be doing several things at once and eliminating the sound would force me to find at least one more thing to do, and I'd likely end up missing some of the game.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
HawkWow":2buaqveg said:
SalishHawkFan":2buaqveg said:

It may have been in the early 80s (or earlier) that the networks, tired of complaints about their sub-par broadcast crews (same as it ever was), did go no commentary thru-out several (sample) games. I thought I would like it but have to confess, I preferred the mindless bantering over no commentary at all. You could hear the sounds of the game but it was much like just turning your volume off. The idea was scraped almost immediately.

I do know people that turn their volume right off but my mind doesn't work that way. I have to be doing several things at once and eliminating the sound would force me to find at least one more thing to do, and I'd likely end up missing some of the game.

About 10 years ago I watched a lower echelon Premier League soccer match where the only commentary was a fan from each team good naturedly (it was broadcast so they were professional...mostly) talking about the match and ribbing each other about players, plays and history (it was quite epic). Ever since I've thought that they should have options for audio in all sporting events on TV. Have the typical booth guys, stadium sounds, or a fan feed.

Why not? What, CBS has to justify overpaying Phil Simms so we can listen to his ego babble on instead of giving the customer what they want? It's stupid.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I would still watch the broadcast. I watch on Sunday for the experience. Same reason I watch it live instead of on my DVR on delay (which would make more sense as I could skip the commercials etc).

If I want info, I watch the 22 later in the week.

- bsd