Green Bay Way ... vs. Seattle Way

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
The Green Bay Way ... vs. The Seattle Way

I don't know how many of you guys caught Brock and Salk's opening segment yesterday, but they had some very thought provoking comments in the wake of the Green Bay - Falcons game on Monday Night.

They pointed out (and I believe rightfully so), that there is such a vast difference between Green Bay's philosophy and way of doing things ... and Seattle's philosophy and way of doing things. The NFL (and so much of America) seems so enamored with the kind of high powered, Madden Football like offense that the Packers really embody and represent. That's what the NFL and so many people seem to want -- scoring so many points like the old Asteroids game that you would score and score ... and see how many times you could make the numbers max out, roll over, and beep at you.

But the question arises for us in terms of this year (and perhaps beyond) -- can NFL teams really win and win consistently over the long term -- scoring tons of points ... and giving up tons of points on defense? As demonstrated clearly on Monday, Green Bay can score seemingly at will ... but the essence and ultimate success of that team seems to be predicated on one thing -- the success of Aaron Rodgers. If Rodgers is clicking with Jordy Nelson, then that offense and the Packers are going to hum along. If a team is able to take away that one thing though ... then does the Jenga Puzzle then collapse?

While most of America and the NFL Talking Heads seem to be anointing the Packers as this year's Super Bowl representative ... the Seahawks are the one team out there who has the ability to take away that one thing. I'm firmly convinced (barring injury) that this Seahawks team has what it takes to take out that high powered Packers Offense, even if they ultimately meet at Lambeau Field for all the marbles.

Brock went on to bring up a point that I've brought up before as well and marveled over a few times in the past ...

Pete Carroll -- Master Schemer ...

Huard: "Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick are the two best X's and O minds in the NFL -- period. End of story. In my travels around the college football world over the last 8 years, and especially over the last few years, if I was to ask any of the defensive coordinators I could sit down with, "Who do you want to spend time with?" -- it'd be a very, very short list. Many in the college ranks would say Nick Saban. I want to sit under and learn from Nick Saban and in the Spring at his practices, his sidelines [are] littered with hopeful college and high school coaches. Undoubtedly, if you were to ask all of the college coaches around America, "Where are two places you would love to sit in and learn the game of football from a defensive mind?" -- it would be on both coasts. It would be in New England and here in Seattle. And you're right, Pete does not get that kind of credit."

Later ...

Huard: "... people look at him [Pete Carroll] and say, 'Ah, look at what he did as SC. He just always had better players. Ahh, you know he just had all these 5 star guys, these 4 star guys. If I had them, I could play that kind of defense. I could be that kind of basic and play that fast too.' And then he gets to the NFL and I think he's become somewhat of a prisoner of that as well. 'Ah, John Schneider -- look at him. Look-it, you've got the best corner in the game. You've got the best safety in the game. You've got the best this in the game. You've got the best middle linebacker in the game. You've got all this talent now, right?' It's the chicken and the egg. They're really good players because Pete from an X's and O's standpoint really puts them in place to do it. And I think people will look at a Dick Lebeau or a Dom Capers and say, 'Wow -- innovative. Hooo -- Star Wars Defense! Creative! Look at all these wonderful blitzes! And Pete and Bill are very very similar. Both of those guys at their very core -- they're not blitzers. At their very core they want to be hard. At their very core they don't want to give you an inch and give you anything. And to do that you've got to be an incredible teacher. And I think both of those guys are.

... You're talking about a track record that goes back for decades for both of these guys. And I told you the other thing that they [Carroll and Belichick] do remarkably well, like any great pitcher does, like anybody who plays great defense in any sport -- they take away your strength. That's where they are very, very similar. They look at it and say, 'OK, what do you like to do? What are your route recognition? What are your route concepts? And how I can really teach my guys to take away your Number One? And that's why Pete's been unbelievable against Green Bay, and New Orleans, and Philly, and Denver. Every single time they've had this litmus test against great offenses, I would contend that they take away what that group does best. "

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9980752&p=1007&n=Brock and Salk

In all my years of watching NFL football (and certainly of watching Seahawks football), I have never seen a coaching staff who has the ability to find talent (under rocks where no one else can find it) ... to coach up/teach players ... and to break down an opposing team, to identify its weaknesses, and to be able to put players in a position to exploit those weak spots better than this coaching staff right here. It's the reason I contend that coupled with the way this team is playing right now, that at the end of the day, come February 1 -- this Seahawks team is going to be the last one standing at U. of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. And I cannot wait for that moment.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I think Pete will be recognized in Bill's "league" in years to come. Especially if he wins another SB. I just explained to my mom ,who is an up and comer football fan on what the seahawks do. In short, play tough physical defense, intimidate, make the opponents offense get off the field as quick as possible. Get a great return on ST, field position. Use every down, get to 3rd and short, get another first down, run the ball, run the clock down and wear out the defense ( just like jabbing in boxing). Go for knock outs with turnovers and deep balls ( haven't really hit that this year, deep passes anyway).

She totally was wowed with that, especially since she likes boxing. Gave her a new look at football since it makes sense. She watched the Philly game with me and was confused because the Eagles defense played so well through much of the game,,,,then "just gave up" because the score (not the game) was still close.

Told her the Eagles defense played really well and explained our strategy and that it was really on the Eagles' offense.

kearly

Reaction score
The Hawks held the Packers to something like 170 yards of passing offense in week 1, not really a whole lot better than the numbers Philly just put up. I know that was week one and in Seattle, but it surprises me that this never seems to come up in the media. Rodgers' two games against the LOB are two of the worst games of his career.

Another detail that keeps getting overlooked, Rodgers record at home in the playoffs is a lot worse than people think. And his record when coming from behind in the 4th quarter is shockingly bad.

The Packers, like Denver, Atlanta, and New Orleans, are the prototype of the NFL. Get a QB, build around that QB, hope to get lucky on defense. Everything is built around beating average defenses as handily as possible. These teams tend to be up and down, and only win championships when their defense has an outlier season.

The true genius of Pete is that he set out to build a team that was specifically designed to beat this NFL prototype. There's a reason why Wilson is undefeated against future HoF QBs.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kearly":2mnwf3tm said:
The Hawks held the Packers to something like 170 yards of passing offense in week 1, not really a whole lot better than the numbers Philly just put up. I know that was week one and in Seattle, but it surprises me that this never seems to come up in the media. Rodgers' two games against the LOB are two of the worst games of his career.

Another detail that keeps getting overlooked, Rodgers record at home in the playoffs is a lot worse than people think. And his record when coming from behind in the 4th quarter is shockingly bad.

The Packers, like Denver, Atlanta, and New Orleans, are the prototype of the NFL. Get a QB, build around that QB, hope to get lucky on defense. Everything is built around beating average defenses as handily as possible. These teams tend to be up and down, and only win championships when their defense has an outlier season.

The true genius of Pete is that he set out to build a team that was specifically designed to beat this NFL prototype. There's a reason why Wilson is undefeated against future HoF QBs.

I guess you're not with the group-think opinion that Andrew Luck will be in the HoF someday.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":38yyz5rh said:
But the question arises for us in terms of this year (and perhaps beyond) -- can NFL teams really win and win consistently over the long term -- scoring tons of points ... and giving up tons of points on defense?
I don't think they can win consistently. To do so, means they have to play perfect on offense almost every week. That's not sustainable, because eventually, you run into a good defense, or make a mistake.

Look at New Orleans. If the offense has even 1 turnover, they will most likely lose, as the defense can't get stops. Brees threw 5 td's and 0 interceptions vs Pittsburg and the game was still close at the end. One mistake and they lose.

GB lost to New Orleans earlier in the year. Rodgers threw for 418 yards, but had 2 picks - and GB lost by 21 points. Denver learned this. Look how they improved their defense this year and are relying more on the run game (reduce risk).

The Hawks aren't flashy on offense, but our approach beats these "good" teams consistently. And we're fun to watch - I was disgusted watching Atlanta's defense against GB on Monday night.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":2y8sktuv said:

You are so right about Pete Carroll ... and amazingly very few people across the country really understand that. While many in the National Media gave the Seahawks props for winning the Super Bowl last year, what has been the dominant conversation? It's been -- "Well, the Seahawks got lucky with drafting the players they did, especially Russell Wilson. Let's see how they do once they have to open up the wallet and pay Wilson. We'll see how truly sustainable the Seahawks truly are."

And I just sit back and shake my head.

Critics: The Seahawks lost Brandon Browner -- ahhh, that's a big blow to their defense.

Is there any question that Byron Maxwell and Tharold Simon aren't better?

Critics: Ahhh -- the Seahawks lost Golden Tate to free agency. They traded away Percy Harvin. Zack Miller is on IR for the rest of the season. How are they going to generate any kind of offense? That group of receivers they have is pedestrian at best -- among the worst in the league.

Schneider pulls a Tony Moeaki off the scrap heap ... the rookies now given more playing time are starting to contribute ... and don't look now, but that Seattle offense is ranked #11 in Offensive DVOA according to Football Outsiders.

Critics: Ahhh -- the Seahawks lost Red Bryant via Free Agency ... and Brandon Mebane their key to stopping the run -- now their run defense is going to fall apart.

While he's admittedly no Mebane in terms of talent, Jordan Hill has looked very good and has more than adequately filled in.

And Dare I say it (I will, but will knock on a whole forest of trees in declaring so), would the Seahawks continue winning if Russell Wilson were to get hurt and be lost for any length of time? While Tavaris Jackson is no Russell Wilson, I dare say they would.

Why? Because the Seattle Seahawks under Pete Carroll are a true model of how the sum of the whole is greater than the individual parts. As long as Pete Carroll and John Schneider are here, the Seahawks WILL keep on winning because they both recognize that the most important thing ... is TEAM. They know the power of emphasizing that no one person more important than the other ... and having all guys rowing hard in the same direction can have.

With this team's eternal focus on TEAM ... Schneider's ability to find talent where no one looks ... and Carroll and company's ability to coach up those players and put them in situations to succeed -- heck, yeah this is sustainable.

And 10 years from now, I hope I'm around to see the nay-saying experts out there eating their plates of crow.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
rideaducati":1lrrroel said:
I guess you're not with the group-think opinion that Andrew Luck will be in the HoF someday.
:34853_doh: some posts/posters... smh

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner, we need you here more often. Excellent post.

I find it incredibly selfish you've let things like family and career get in the way of posting here regularly. Please advise.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm certain that everyone affiliated with GB is already bracing themselves knowing that if they play Seattle in January, that is going to be their Super Bowl.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Good points, hard to add much.
I will say that we seem to be looking at a perfect example of, what CAN happen when a coach has full cooperation.
Players, coach, GM and ownership ALL on the same page.
Everybody wanting to win, is not enough.
I'd say that ultimately the team owner, one way or the other, controls this. In our case I give Paul A. the credit. He has hired good people, given them the tools they need AND gotten out of they way.
I see Jerry Jones as the exact opposite of this.
There are many different ways to win in the NFL but whatever philosophy you go with, it takes an ALL IN attitude.

I love what we have.
GoHawks.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks are the anti-NFL. The Shield wants teams and games like the one played on Monday... 43-37, down to the wire, fire works, suspense, 500 commercial breaks crammed into the 4th quarter...

19 to 3 doesn't cut it nowadays, causes stadiums to empty out and channels getting switched to Dancing With The Stars...

Uh-Oh, those non-conformists won a Super Bowl with that ish, lets make more rules and shut those fools down...

Pete don't care...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've said it 100 times, Pete's arguably the most underrated defensive mind in the history of football.........and he's proven it in only five years with the Hawks.

Look what he's done to all the so-called "offensive geniuses" over his Hawk career? Dude made Skip Kelly look like he was calling plays on the playground in junior high. Made Aaron Rodgers look like Trent Dilfer. Made Peyton Manning the laughing stock of the SB in front of a billion people. Drew Brees, Brady, on and on.

Pete deserves all the credit in the world for his creativity when it comes to dealing with players, but it's time he started getting his props for being a defensive genius.

Reaction score
kearly":3o5pk9uf said:

Kearly , that is an excellent post it sums up Petes philosophy perfectly, I couldn't say it any better!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Great OP and great follow up discussion.

One national misconception: Pete's a defensive genius for what he's done in Seattle. Go back and look at his teams when he was HC: Jets, and Patriots. Both of those teams had very good to great defenses. In his time in SF, he also had damned good defenses, so he's been elite in the defensive catagory his entire time in the NFL.

I agree on the comparisons with Belichik and Carroll. I was actually going to make my own post about this, and might anyways because this gets too long, but I find the interesting differentiation between the two is philosophy. They have very similar defensive philosophies, but Belichick is a guy willing to change things depending on what he's doing and who he faces, while Pete is going to come at you with what he has and make you stop it. Pete won't change much. Belichik will; look at the times (recently) when Bill hasn't had a good secondary...he'll blitz a lot more to cover that up.

I think Bill is a slightly better X's and O's guy because he's had to be. He doesn't draft as well as Pete and John, so he has to scheme more to make up for personnel deficiencies. Pete and John keep finding guys to fit Pete's scheme in mid to lower rounds and with FA pickups and late round trades. I think the amazing thing is the way they've managed depth and second tier talent to keep the team competitive even after all the injuries.

We were remarkably healthy last year outside of the OL. This year, we've been pretty snake bitten. The seasons are starting to look very similar but with different trajectories. Last year, we started hot, then cooled off a bit. This year, we started out average and are starting to heat up.

kearly

Reaction score
rideaducati":1pchr24j said:

Luck is well on his way to the HoF. Very few QBs have won as many games through their first three seasons. People in the mainstream media are starting to catch on with the John Elway comparisons.

The way Luck is playing this year, I don't mind it. He is one of the league's more dangerous QBs, even if he is flawed.

Regarding Luck's win over Wilson, the Colts were outgained by something like 200 yards in that game, and it was considered by many to be the worst officiated game of 2013. I put an asterisk on that loss. Anybody can beat Wilson if they get very lucky.

HawkWow

Reaction score
rideaducati":ln7a8k5i said:
kearly":ln7a8k5i said:

At the pace Luck is on, not only is he in, they may decide to put his dad in as well.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":82mzm3lr said:
The Seattle Seahawks are the anti-NFL. The Shield wants teams and games like the one played on Monday... 43-37, down to the wire, fire works, suspense, 500 commercial breaks crammed into the 4th quarter...

19 to 3 doesn't cut it nowadays, causes stadiums to empty out and channels getting switched to Dancing With The Stars...

Uh-Oh, those non-conformists won a Super Bowl with that ish, lets make more rules and shut those fools down...

Pete don't care...

:13:
A pretty telling statistic is that no team with the number one passing offense (yardage wise) has ever won the Super Bowl that season. Ever.

Throwing the ball all over the place is a great show and all, but then a team like the Hawks comes along and messes the whole thing up.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kearly":lm5ci0sd said:
rideaducati":lm5ci0sd said:

Luck is well on his way to the HoF. Very few QBs have won as many games through their first three seasons. People in the mainstream media are starting to catch on with the John Elway comparisons.

The way Luck is playing this year, I don't mind it. He is one of the league's more dangerous QBs, even if he is flawed.

Regarding Luck's win over Wilson, the Colts were outgained by something like 200 yards in that game, and it was considered by many to be the worst officiated game of 2013. I put an asterisk on that loss. Anybody can beat Wilson if they get very lucky.

I was just being a smart ass.