Film Room: Chancellor and Wagner

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2014/film-room-chancellor-and-wagner

Good read from football outsiders
FilmRoom 121114 11

When your running game is attempting to create space by exploiting the opposing defense's lack of athleticism and discipline, Chancellor and Wagner aren't players you want to see on the other side of the field. The Eagles were only able to rush for 56 yards on 22 attempts because of the Seahawks' team speed and execution on the day.
They were only the latest team in the league to learn how effective the Seahawks' second-level run defenders can be. Over the past three weeks, the defense has given up just 62 rushing yards per game. For the season as a whole, they rank third in run defense DVOA.

Both Wagner and Chancellor show off consistent, controlled aggression in every facet of their play. Wagner's features in coverage as much as it does in the running game, but Chancellor in particular stands out when given the freedom provided by his situation.

As much as playing with Sherman and Thomas affords Chancellor opportunities to play to his strengths, Chancellor himself highlights the value of what Sherman and Thomas do by excelling in his role. Chancellor is known for his ability to deliver heavy hits over the middle of the field or even on rare occasions when he lines up as the deep safety. Those big hits show off Chancellor's incredible athleticism, but it's his awareness and control that allows him to deliver them. That awareness and control can be seen on plays that are considered less spectacular also.

Giphy

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It's no coincidence that when we got them both back healthy they make the defense unstoppable. Both those guys so underrated, Wagner most of all.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Yes indeed, excellent read. Thank you guys for posting these types of things, it is a huge reason I love this place because I never look for these myself but love reading great breakdowns like this one.