Dan Quinn will draw head-coaching interest (Article)

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442897/article/seahawks-dan-quinn-will-draw-headcoaching-interest[/urltargetblank]

Thanks in part to Quinn's masterful game plan that succeeded in tearing Peyton Manning's record-breaking offense asunder in the Super Bowl, Pete Carroll's top lieutenant is listed by NFL Media's Albert Breer as one of the league's top head-coaching candidates as Black Monday approaches

sutz

Reaction score
Not surprising. I'd hate to lose him, though. But the fact is that Pete should get a lot of credit for our D. One of the down sides to success is that teams start poaching your talent.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
For me, this is a poo poo thread. C'mon Paul! Don't let anyone grab him!!!

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I love Dan Quinn and believe that he has the right demeanor and pedigree to make it as an NFL head coach. But the fact of that matter is that this is Pete Carroll's defense and it had already been built before Quinn arrived last year. And just like after Gus Bradley left, it won't miss a beat if (when) Quinn leaves too....particularly if Pete promotes Kris Richard from within, which is what I fully expect to happen.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I agree that it'll be Kris Richard or Rocky Seto and that the defense will keep chugging along. Quinn does have a good disposition for an HC, but so did Gus Bradley, so we'll see. Carroll has consistently put a premiere defense on the field whether it was Nick Holt, Rocky Seto, Gus Bradley, or Dan Quinn serving as his DC. Holt and Bradley haven't exactly looked like visionaries without Pete's hand to guide them.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Carroll's coordinators don't have the best history when they have gone out on their own, even though he encourages them to seek those opportunities if they want them. Gus Bradley's struggles in Jacksonville is just the most recent example that will give teams pause if they were to consider Quinn. Regardless, the defense will move forward under the same philosophy, at least as long as Carroll is here.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Speaking of Quinn, has anyone else noticed how much weight he's lossed? Seeing him in the videos of his mid-week pressers with the media, he looks like he's lost half a man compared to how he used to look (as still captured in his bio pic on the Seahawks website). Must have gone on the Tom Cable Diet.

irocdave

Reaction score
Pete is building a coaching tree. It doesn't have many sturdy branches yet but it is quickly becoming a tree.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Well hopefully teams will have to wait until after the Super Bowl to talk with him. :)

I'd hate to lose him and think he was a step up from Gus, but I think we'd be fine with the names mentioned.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bd2y2r0 said:
Well hopefully teams will have to wait until after the Super Bowl to talk with him.
Actually assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that have byes in the Wild Card weekend may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the Wild Card games....and assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that won their Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":ygznteub said:
For me, this is a poo poo thread. C'mon Paul! Don't let anyone grab him!!!

Only that's not how Pete works.. Pete wants these guys to get jobs and preps them for everything to better their chances in doing so.

I think it's actually really great. And just adds to the quality of this franchise. They take care of their own, from the top down.. (unless you're Percy Harvin of course)

IrishNW

Reaction score
This is Pete's defense. I'm actually more excited about who Pete will pick to replace him then anything else.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Does a strong and successful coaching lineage contribute to a coach's considering for HoF admittance? If so, then I'd love to see all our coaches take jobs a step higher elsewhere eventually.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1v04i6u3 said:
Does a strong and successful coaching lineage contribute to a coach's considering for HoF admittance? If so, then I'd love to see all our coaches take jobs a step higher elsewhere eventually.

Of course, Carroll wants all of his guys to be successful. I don't think it matters that much for the HoF if only because it can be interpreted in two disparate ways: either the coach is great at developing future head coaches or the great assistant coaches were carrying the coach. The only thing that matters for the Hall is winning over a sustained period time, like Bill Belichick has done. If Carroll continues to do things better than they have ever been done, then he will get serious HoF consideration after his retirement. Another Super Bowl or two would help.

kearly

Reaction score
With regards to Bradley, I think it's a tall order for a guy to do his very first head coaching gig taking over for the league's worst team. Pete Carroll was fired from his first two head coaching jobs, and both were far better situations than the one Bradley walked into.

Not that I think Bradley is a genius or anything, but he's probably no worse of a coach than the somewhat successful Mike Pettine. A lot of coaches that start well did so because they walked into the right kind of situations.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":39ykg85r said:
With regards to Bradley, I think it's a tall order for a guy to do his very first head coaching gig taking over for the league's worst team. Pete Carroll was fired from his first two head coaching jobs, and both were far better situations than the one Bradley walked into.

Not that I think Bradley is a genius or anything, but he's probably no worse of a coach than the somewhat successful Mike Pettine. A lot of coaches that start well did so because they walked into the right kind of situations.

Absolutely. The perception of these young coaches is not always fair or accurate. Carroll was thought of as somewhat of a joke after being fired by the Patriots, even though he had a playoff win in his first year and never had a losing season. It's hard to know how a young coach like Bradley's career will evolve post-Jacksonville. Maybe Quinn gets hired by someone after next season and Bradley ends up back here.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't know that Bradley is in trouble (yet). By all reports he is well liked there and he isn't responsible for the Jags lack of personnel. Would the marquee coaches that he would be fired for really want to take over in Jacksonville?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
AgentDib":iwszzegk said:
I don't know that Bradley is in trouble (yet). By all reports he is well liked there and he isn't responsible for the Jags lack of personnel. Would the marquee coaches that he would be fired for really want to take over in Jacksonville?

He won't be fired after this season. But give it another year and ownership will fire him just to stir interest among whatever is left of their season ticket holders (i.e. the ones who aren't there just for the poolside cabanas). Jacksonville is a truly terrible franchise.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Difference between Pete and the rest of the league, is he wants to prepare his coordinators for head coaching jobs. Whoever he replaces will be just fine for the defense.

Honestly, I wish they would promote the defensive backs coach. I want to see him handle the whole D.