What Really Happened?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this since the Cardinals game.

We've all heard that there was a player's meeting to get the team on the same page. Injuries mounted, discourse/media scrutiny with the Harvin trade...The team/defense was toiling in slightly above-average play. Okay for the Jaguars but nowhere near good enough for the defending Super Bowl Champions.

What possibly could have been said in that room, that private meeting between players only? What words were said that literally changed their play on the field from night to day? We've all witnessed it over the last three weeks. It's been an awesome display. It is literally like watching our defense from this past February. And that's without Mebane!

To be a fly on the wall of that meeting. To hear the leaders give their impassioned speeches that clearly touched each players to their very core. Dissension is a bitch. Especially in an NFL locker room. You've got young men from every corner of the country being paid money most CEO's will never see to play a game. To bridge that dynamic into a cohesive champion, well...It goes without saying it's a very rare thing to do and that is why many a former NFL legend never had the privilege of wearing a ring.

We laugh about the notion of "Football Gods" but sometimes I wonder if there might not be such a thing. I mean, how can the Seattle Seahawks...The SEATTLE SEAHAWKS go from this perpetual mediocre team for decades (save a few sparks of light along the way) and suddenly be this FORCE that disrupts your previously scheduled programming of East Coast Bias and Favortism?

I still wake up to this day in shock that that the NFL media (in general, not talking trolls like Prisco) has the Seahawks now as a constant NFL topic along side the "big boys" (Cowboys, Giants, Packers, Patriots, etc).

None of this could have happened without every single magical piece that has come together since Pete Carroll was announced as our new Head Coach and John Schneider became our new GM.

But I digress. I am especially fascinated by the transition to slightly above-average play this year to "Oh yeah, we are the Champions! Let's play like it!" Had rock-n-roll not received my attention in my teens, I may have been a psychologist. I love studying the human condition. I am eternally fascinated by the hows and whys of what we do, and how we are capable of doing it.

This is my response to someone tonight who made a comment about Russell Wilson to me:

"We'll see if GOD tells Russ to take a discount when its his time..doubtful...."

Me: I think Russell will be rewarded the contract he deserves. Nothing more, nothing less. Remember, it's not just numbers/stats with Wilson. It's leadership, character, that precious "IT" factor that so many QBs want but don't have no matter how hard they try.

Russell won't have the most YPG or TDs at the end of the year, but what he will have, is wins.

How much is that worth to the NFL?

As much as he's about to be paid.

This team is oozing with "IT", even when times get tough. You can't fake it. You either have it our you don't.

Still, I really, really, REALLY would love to know what was said to kick this team back into championship gear. Man if they can sell that to the rest of the NFL, every game would end in a tie.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
But speeches only get players feeling good for a moment. Once the game gets rolling, it isn't the empowering words of speech guiding our guys to excellence. It's the training regiments, habits, and all the other various aspects of our preparation and in-game adaptation. We didn't turn it around with mere words. We turned it around by entering an easier stretch of our schedule, getting key players back, getting more comfortable in our post-Harvin offense, and most importantly, progressing back to our mean of being one of the best. What really happened? The very nature of our franchise happened!

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
They said, "Bobby Wagner's back and Kam's feeling lots better. Let's go!"

Cartire

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2q6iml9l said:
But speeches only get players feeling good for a moment. Once the game gets rolling, it isn't the empowering words of speech guiding our guys to excellence. It's the training regiments, habits, and all the other various aspects of our preparation and in-game adaptation. We didn't turn it around with mere words. We turned it around by entering an easier stretch of our schedule, getting key players back, getting more comfortable in our post-Harvin offense, and most importantly, progressing back to our mean of being one of the best. What really happened? The very nature of our franchise happened!

:13:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Told everyone it's time to put down their online app games and start focusing on a real game

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think several things played into it:

- Pete met with the position group leaders and told them they needed to reconnect and play together. Those guys met with their teammates, and so on.
- Earl got on a bunch of guys after they were seen chilling at practice eating sunflower seeds.
- Kam gave an apparently very impassioned speech to each of his teammates.
- Guys felt lousy about letting KC eke out a win that on paper they didn't earn.
- Key guys who'd been injured came back and have been able to play at their usual level now that they're healthy.

All of that happened after the loss to KC. Voila! Sudden turnaround.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":fm5cdny8 said:

Mmmmmmmm, not so fast.

I think you are being too dismissive of that meeting.

On first glance, you would think you might be right. But closer inspection to my eyes at least tells me there is more to the story.

I wouldn't have bothered with this post thread unless I felt otherwise.

SOMETHING clicked that day.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3to7leq1 said:
Perhaps they watch those Rain City Redemption videos?

That's the best theory yet.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think it's mostly just health. B.Wags and Kam are that important to our defense, KJ is really good on the outside but a work in progress in the middle, and having the flexibility to move Irvin between DE and OLB helps the pass rush.

Look at the first Eagles possession.

First snap 1st & 10: 4-3-1 Avril/Williams/Bennett/Irvin - KJ/Wags/Kam - Earl
Front four creates pressure, KJ covers McCoy in the flat, Wags/Kam covers the TE and Sherman almost picks off a pass.

Second snap 2nd & 10: 4-3-1 Avril/Williams/Bennett/Irvin - KJ/Wags/Kam - Earl
Same assignments but ball comes out quick to the TE in the middle and Kam dives to break it up.

Third snap: 3rd & 10: 4-2-1 Avril/Bennett/Hill/Irvin - Wags/Earl - Kam
Eagles bring out a 4 receiver set, Wags covers the RB, Earl/Kam patrol the middle of the field and Sanchez takes a short outlet that leads to fourth down and a punt.

That's a four and out with the personnel we fielded, but it could easily have been a first down with backups. Does Smith cover McCoy in the flat as well on first down or does JJ break up the second down pass? Is everybody in the right spot if KJ or Coyle are making the calls? The margin for success is razor thin on each play and missing pro bowlers from the middle of your defense will hurt any team (49ers cough cough cough).

Next man up is a good thing for the Seahawks players to believe but as fans it doesn't hurt if we recognize that some of our players are better and more experienced than others and we're not as good if they are not on the field.

kearly

Reaction score
Rodgers + Rivers + Manning > Stanton + Kaepernick + Sanchez. Seattle had the toughest schedule in the NFL through the first five games. Since then, Seattle has had one of the five easiest schedules. I think that explains most of it.

Also, it turns out that getting #31 and #54 back was kind of a big deal. Wilson also snapped out of his funk, the offense got back to it's roots, etc.

This has created momentum and Seattle is riding it. It doesn't hurt that the upcoming trio of QBs the Hawks face are collectively even worse than the three QBs the Hawks just dominated.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It's probably not a small coincidence that Russell "snapped out of his funk" once LJP returned.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Also I think when you play in team sport or in groups there is often a time when everything comes together and you start getting that internal "IT" going that pushes all doubt out and allows you to connect in a very deep way.

I was a musician and in a serious band for many years and there was what we referred to as "the swirl". It was that feeling when you are so in tuned you can anticipate your bandmates play even when a mistake was coming that you knew how to cover for it, you are playing as one. There is a euphoria that comes with it and I think we are seeing that right now.

If you listen Carroll he sort of talks about this and even stated this week it can be fleeting. It is an edge that can be very difficult to maintain at that level but they just need it for 6 more games :thirishdrinkers:

Erebus

Reaction score
kearly":1qku5oas said:
Wilson also snapped out of his funk, the offense got back to it's roots, etc.

But why? Does something like that just happen over night, or does something have to happen to cause it?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I agree with Aros that something did really happen. I don't think it was simply a matter of getting healthy again, but of course that helped a great deal.

It's not like everyone was watching us this year and expecting us to dominate like we have the last 3 games after watching our previous performances. In fact I'd wager very few if any people thought we'd have this kind of total domination after losing to Kansas City. If it was as simple as getting healthy more people would of seen this coming.

After the Rams game when we where 3-3 a lot of people were predicting that we would win 10 or less games for the season which probably wouldn't make the playoffs. Can be seen in these threads:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99237

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99188

I still felt we had a great chance to turn things around even at 3-3 and I wrote this thread titled "We Will Still Win The NFC West":

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99317

It's kind of a long rant but I pretty much said that it's a wide open race and that nobody in the NFL had really proved themselves other than Denver at that time. All the teams "in the hunt" where trading wins like nobody's business, most of them were about 50% against "good" competition. So I felt that we still had a great chance to win the NFC West but I admitted that we were playing WAY below our potential. I really felt we looked pretty awful yet I still maintained faith that we could rebound.

Tokadub":8sfgiap0 said:
Right now I see a very weak or "soft" NFL landscape ripe for the taking just like last year. If anything the NFL is even weaker than it was last season now that the 49ers are gone who were our only legit threat. While Denver has stepped up to take advantage of how average most teams are, we have fallen off a cliff this year compared to our potential.

It's now or never but I still think we can go 11-5 and win the NFC West if even the slightest shred of the 2013 Seahawk's spirit still lives on. Harvin may have been the cancer in our locker room, but the chemotherapy has prevailed he's gone and it's time for us to get healthy and strong again.

To be honest I did not expect the Cardinals would be 11-3 right now... I thought we could go 11-5 and win it... UP UNTIL THE KANSAS CITY GAME... That's when things got REALLY BAD AROUND HERE AND EVERYONE THOUGHT WE WERE DONE... At least for me that was the point where it seemed like we really weren't gonna get it together in time to have any legitimate chance to win another Superbowl.

After losing to KC we were 6-4... The Cardinals were 9-1!!!!!!

I remember hearing on TV it was either ESPN or the NFL Network that NO TEAM HAS EVER WON THEIR DIVISION AFTER BEING 3 GAMES BEHIND HEADING INTO WEEK 12...

At this point of the season people were really losing hope, things were looking really grim and we were about to head into the "toughest part of our schedule".

Now think about that for a second...

We were in a situation where no team in NFL history has ever won their Division being so far behind at that point of the season... now it seems like the most likely outcome...

We where in a situation where we were "likely" to miss the playoffs all of these teams had better records than us going into week 12:

Cardinals 9-1
Packers 7-3
Cowboys 7-3
Eagles 7-3
Lions 7-3

We were tied with the 49ers at 6-4 with them facing a much easier schedule...

And the NFC South was so terrible the Falcons or Saints would get a spot over us even though they were both 4-6...

So there we were in a position that if the playoffs started week 12 we were out... we were coming off a game where our Defense had given up 159 yards to Jamaal Charles (8.0 yards per rush)... and we were going into what appeared to be an absolutely brutal schedule to close out our season with the opponents for our remaining games having a combined record of 41-19 (68.33% win rate).

Here are some threads of what people were saying (the season was pretty much over) after the Kansas City Game:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101212

And then Aros wrote a positive one and I responded like this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101182&start=50

Tokadub":8sfgiap0 said:
- Our Defense was terrible and got exposed AGAIN (it's already happened so many times this season).

- We gave up 6.2 yards per rush.

- We gave up 8 yards per rush by Jamaal Charles.

- We had 0 sacks! Pass rush is non-existent and our cash cow Bennett continues to rack up penalties and face plant on a regular basis.

- Bevell proved how horrible he really is, that was the final straw for me... so many bad calls that made no sense whatsoever. Funny how so many people support Bevell because we won a Superbowl even though the signs of his incompetence have been glaringly obvious since 2012 (One example being the loss to Falcons in the playoffs while scoring 0 points in first half).

- Kearse continues to drop passes which I told everyone in multiple posts this off-season that he has bad hands.... Kearse currently is only catching about 50% of his targets (22 out of 38 on ESPN not sure if they include today's game yet...)

- Our Passing game is atrocious, it seems like out of all the teams in THE ENTIRE NFL we have the most difficulty of having open receivers on a regular basis. Our Offensive Line is also horrible.

CONCLUSION:

Although it was an entertaining game for a neutral observer, if you are a true Seahawks fan I can't see how you can be happy with this outcome. I guess a lot of people just aren't realistic about the very serious problems in real life or in this case sports, I can't just blow it off as no big deal I know how bad this was... I'm not one to just feel happy about crappy and horrible outcomes to make myself feel better artificially.

Facts are, we are most likely out of the playoffs now, the 49ers have a much easier remaining schedule than we do so they among many other teams could easily steal the Wild Card from us. I no longer have any hopes we can win the NFC West that would take a miracle...

This is honestly a complete and total meltdown from last season when we were hands down the most talented roster in the entire league with a legendary Defense. Now although we still have above average talent we are playing like a sub .500 team. I put a lot of the blame on the coaches for their off-season moves, the draft, and their inability to coach effectively. It really seems like we are out-coached by a significant margin almost every single game. I never thought that would be the case for our whole team... but as for the Offense with Bevell this is no surprise.

This is the moment in Seahawks history where I believe "Something really did happen". Our backs were up against the wall and after losing to Kansas City there was no indication whatsoever that we would completely dominate our next 3 opponents with a combined record of 22-8 (73.33% win rate).

It seemed unlikely that we would even win all 3 of those games judging by how we played in our first 10 games...

Even though I felt confident we could win the NFC West after going 3-3, I didn't feel confident that we would even make the playoffs after we lost to Kansas City and went to 6-4.

I knew we had the potential to be great, in fact at the start of the season I predicted 14-2 which seemed realistic to me. After falling to 6-4 it seemed like 14-2 was absurdly crazy like I was some kind of idiot for ever thinking that. But I knew what our team was capable of, it just seemed like for whatever reason it wasn't going to happen this year...

But now after our last 3 games we are now 9-4, and the way we totally demolished our last 3 opponents we really do look like a 14-2 team!

We held the Eagles to 139 yards, that's the least amount of yards allowed by our team since Pete Carroll took over! Think about that... our best defensive performance with Pete Carroll against Chip Kelly the "offensive genius". That was really an amazing game that I haven't had a chance to comment on yet, but that was one of my favorite games ever! So GOOD :0190l:

Conclusion:

This kind of turn around is truly special, something really did happen. We just had arguably our best 3 game stretch in Seahawks history when considering that before these 3 games our opponents had a combined record of 22-8 (73.33% win rate). If it wasn't for some red zone struggles and being classy towards the ends of these games the score margin could be much greater than the combined 62-20.

I believe that there is some psychological aspect involved. Our guys top to bottom had been looking flat, uninspired, and frustrated (not just the ones who were a bit banged up). All of the sudden our defense is playing absolutely lights out, they have so much adrenaline and are playing team football.

My best guess is that some of our guys weren't really happy with how things were going with our team, our chemistry was starting to die down and guys weren't playing their best and our team work was sloppy.

Somehow everyone simultaneously got on the same page, and they were excited and psyched up about it! Their teammate that last week they were maybe thinking "ah whatever he's all right kinda overrated, I hope he doesn't screw it up" now all the sudden they are thinking "This guy is the BEST! We are going to WAR! Nobody can stop us!"

Overall I think it's a combination of many factors including health, but the coaches and leaders of our team deserve a lot of credit. I don't think this kind of insanely noticeable turnaround is possible without some kind of massive psychological boost that spread throughout the entire team. The Seahawks are back!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Erebus":18e3ztzt said:
kearly":18e3ztzt said:
Wilson also snapped out of his funk, the offense got back to it's roots, etc.

But why? Does something like that just happen over night, or does something have to happen to cause it?

Lem.. or at least having a solid and experienced center and an offensive line that sometimes even gets to practice together two days in a row. For a few games there we were one injury away from having to pull a center from .net for gosh sake. Russell has made so many plays for us that people have begun to expect that he can evade any pass rush and doesn't need protection. So I say that LJP was a big part of this. Other guys got healthy too and the FO found some nice pieces that have helped out as well. I mean the Tuk Truck has been awesome so far.

Cartire

Reaction score
Health and Consistency.

No magic words. No Hocus Pocus spell. Im thinking this should get moved to the PWR with the way some people are looking into this.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A pep talk per se helps. Getting people back from injury helps. But the feeling that you get when you get back to doing your job and doing it to the best of your ability and seeing good end results....that is something you cant take away. They were starting to see results at the end of the KC game....and fed off it. THAT was probably what they talked about in the Locker room. Their ability was there, the drive was there, and the accomplishment was there. Sometimes you need to see it OUTSIDE of your little box. Then is when you GEL....And we as fans started seeing it as well. Today, we will see it again. Go Hawks.