Any of you DVR reviewers taking notice of Jordan Hill?

Mick063

Reaction score
Just got a chance to review the last three Seahawk games.

Hill is playing extremely well. The interior penetration and closing speed is top notch. Not the most powerful guy, but he can shed and pursue extremely well. I see nothing but continuous improvement from this guy.

Sure we miss Mebane, but not really, except for rotation depth to keep the front fresh. The high powered, play off caliber offenses seem to prefer up tempo in an effort to mitigate defensive situational substitutions any way. In the end, the only way these guys will ultimately stay fresh is to get off the field on third down which is what they have been doing as of late.

The bottom line is that so far, the loss of Mebane isn't nearly as catastrophic as many of us might have believed. We can certainly thank Jordan Hill for that.

kearly

Reaction score
I haven't done any DVR study since the preseason, but I would say that when I've watched Hill, he looks more comfortable than last year. In college, Hill was kind of a gritty try-hard guy that produced moderately good results. As a rookie, he was a gritty try-hard guy that was very hit and miss and showed himself to be incredibly vulnerable against the run.

Lately, he's seen the field a decent amount and has looked like he belongs out there rather than being the guy who's always hustling 110% just to not get killed. I can't remember the last time I've seen him get destroyed in the run game either, though that might just be an issue of him being used at the 1-tech spot less.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hill is playing lower than he used too, and it's making a difference. Hearing that Bennett is spending 20 minutes a day before practice working with him is awesome, because Bennett is one of the best short space leverage players in the league. He makes his living getting under offensive linemen.

It's a huge relief, I admit I wondered if Hill had the right temperment to play on this D.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hill was one of the ones I mentioned had a huge game this past Sunday. I'll echo what Kip and Scott said that I'd had my doubts about him coming in to this season. He's no Brandon Mebane, but he's doing a fair facsimile. I haven't done any in depth study on him either, but just based upon what I've seen I'd say he's played the run nicely and been a force in passing situations (he got a sack in the Eagles game). Mebane's absence hasn't loomed anywhere near as large as I thought it would be and (coupled with the return of Bobby Wagner) the play of Jordan Hill has been a major factor from what my eyes tell me.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
i thought about posting something about hill, but decided against it. he has played good of late , but one thing i did notice is how slow he is to react once the ball is snapped. he is usually a solid half a step late getting out of his stance compared to the rest of his teamates. maybe bennett will teach him how to anticipate the snap better.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
sedrohawk":ltjlvbp6 said:
i thought about posting something about hill, but decided against it. he has played good of late , but one thing i did notice is how slow he is to react once the ball is snapped. he is usually a solid half a step late getting out of his stance compared to the rest of his teamates. maybe bennett will teach him how to anticipate the snap better.
That is actually pretty normal for a two gapping player. Big Red was usually a half step slow too.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30qfrz01 said:
sedrohawk":30qfrz01 said:
That is actually pretty normal for a two gapping player. Big Red was usually a half step slow too.

have you noticed if he is any faster off the snap when he plays 3 tech?