Bruce who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaChase

Reaction score
It seems that ever since Wagner came back Irvin has been non-existant. Just an observation.

pehawk

Reaction score
SeaChase":uikvr9kh said:
It seems that ever since Wagner came back Irvin has been non-existant. Just an observation.

That's not an observation, it's more the comment of a novice. Pressure has improved, Irvin maintains contain, covers well, and makes the tackles when it comes to him.

Irvin is the most underrated and misjudged player on this board. His role means you don't hear his name, unless he screws up.

SoCalHawk

Reaction score
Really? The guy who has dominated at times this season? You mean the guy who owned Colin Kaepernick two games ago? And pressured Sanchez all day? What would it take for him to be "existent?" 5 sacks a game?

OP
OP
SeaChase

SeaChase

Reaction score
SoCalHawk":2yl9rlyj said:
Really? The guy who has dominated at times this season? You mean the guy who owned Colin Kaepernick two games ago? And pressured Sanchez all day? What would it take for him to be "existent?" 5 sacks a game?

Read man. Ever since Wagner came back...that means a few games ago. How many sacks, inteceptions, big plays?

OP
OP
SeaChase

SeaChase

Reaction score
Maybe im blind but this board was all about Irvin and then nothing lately. Maybe this season is going by too quickly and things are blending in but I havent noticed him much lately.

OP
OP
SeaChase

SeaChase

Reaction score
Last 3 games. 7 tackles and 1.5 sacks....

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I bet kap saw Irvin in his dreams last night... if he slept.

OP
OP
SeaChase

SeaChase

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3t4xlijr said:
I bet kap saw Irvin in his dreams last night... if he slept.

You're getting him confused with Sherman.

CHawK247

Reaction score
I agree OP, not saying its a bad thing. He just hasnt stood out much since wagner came back. Which means hes doing his job.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
If we have the Bruce of the last two games vs Atlanta in the 2012 playoffs, we would've won 2 SBs. He has set the edge against the run and has been above average in his run defense. Exactly what he wasn't 2 years ago.

OP
OP
SeaChase

SeaChase

Reaction score
CHawK247":1znz9f0z said:
I agree OP, not saying its a bad thing. He just hasnt stood out much since wagner came back. Which means hes doing his job.

Good point. Sometimes it's what you don't do that gets attention.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Typical for him. One good game, gets crowned, then disappears for a few games.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He's really stepped up his game and has been more consistent in all phases than Smith or Wright.

At the current pace of his development, I'm really excited about what the future could hold for him. He continues to improve in coverage, he has dynamic run stopping ability, and we have only scratched the surface of his pass rushing potential.

If Kevin Pierre-Louis steps in as the starting WLB next year, the overall athleticism of the LB corps will be off the charts. In fact, next year's defense could be one of the fastest in league history if certain pieces fall into place (Hill at the three technique, KPL at WLB, and Simon at RCB).

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
CHawK247":2ggbttwo said:

This.

How many effective runs on Irvin's end? Not many, if any.
Forcing the run inside does not show on the stat sheet; making a relatively easy tackle on the closed up inside does- for another player.
Same with convincing a QB that even trying to run that way is not a viable option.
Same with closing the pocket so the inside or offside guys get credit for the sack or pressure.

When the defense gets the results it has the past few weeks it's a pretty good indicator that everyone is doing his job, whether it shows in stats or not. A few get credit for the big plays, but the whole squad gets credit for a dominating performance.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
OP must judge a player by how many times the announcer says his name. Sherman can get no action at all and impact the game, why not Irvin?

Irvin has been assignment sound. Setting edges when the DE pass rushes, covering the flat, etc.

Remember all those passes for all those yards when the Eagles threw to their running backs? Yeah, me neither.

OP
OP
SeaChase

SeaChase

Reaction score
Scottemojo":w5uvu80r said:
OP must judge a player by how many times the announcer says his name. Sherman can get no action at all and impact the game, why not Irvin?

Irvin has been assignment sound. Setting edges when the DE pass rushes, covering the flat, etc.

Remember all those passes for all those yards when the Eagles threw to their running backs? Yeah, me neither.

Judge is a fairly strong assessment. But yeah, when you have a awesome defense full of playmakers it does help when the announcers talk about you as this means you're standing out. Sherman gets talked about every game regardless of what he does or doesn't do. I would say it's more about the popularity of the position.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Sherman would get talked about more than Irvin if he had not played in a month and Irvin averaged 12 tackles, 3 sacks, and 3 picks over that stretch.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SeaChase":mv7mnwyu said:
Scottemojo":mv7mnwyu said:

Judge is a fairly strong assessment. But yeah, when you have a awesome defense full of playmakers it does help when the announcers talk about you as this means you're standing out. Sherman gets talked about every game regardless of what he does or doesn't do. I would say it's more about the popularity of the position.
So you went back and reviewed the game before making the post, sure that Irvin has been invisible on the field?

Erebus

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3t0zx7pr said:
Bruce has been stellar this season, and in my opinion is an offseason priority. The stat sheet seldom shows a player's true worth.
Shouldn't he be on a 5 year contract since he was a first round pick? We shouldn't need to worry about his contract yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.