A general football knowledge thing missing on the hawks

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
We have the best Defence in the league. We have a very good kicker. We HAVE to realize that there is a part of the field where this team can not afford to be aggressive on third down/ in time ticking down situations, and that is between the opposing 35 and 20 yd line, where a sack puts us out of field goal range. Our Offence does not (unless the D has an off day) need to be flashy, we just need to get points when whe get them for free.

Settle for FG in redzone = frustrating but acceptable.

Calling a deep pass play and have Wilson take a sack or throw a pick that gets us zero instead of 3 = Unacceptable.

This has been going on all year, and is quite frankly mindblowing

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Like how to spell defense? I kid, I kid. I agree that watching us get sacked out of points is tough to watch. Unacceptable though? Not if we win. Win is all I care about.

Storts

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2ge6okyw said:
Like how to spell defense? I kid, I kid. I agree that watching us get sacked out of points is tough to watch. Unacceptable though? Not if we win. Win is all I care about.

He's probably learnt proper English and so defence would be the natural spelling for him

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I hear what the OP is saying, however, I've found myself wanting Russ to push the ball down the field and take a couple more chances recently...

I'm not going to be able to have it both ways. Either get into FG range and shut it down, settling for FG's every time, or take a couple risks and potentially get rewarded with a post route for six to Richardson.

Our defense is solid, we know that. So why not take a risk? I think Russ was trying to make a play to Baldwin and just sailed it a bit.

Just sayin'

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Wilson was the one who threw the ball, that INT was all on Wilson. He knows the situation, the time, the distance. He was trying to make a great play instead of the safe one, very uncharacteristic of him.

Nateruw

Reaction score
You think hauska is injured? The way the D was playing I would think we would take the points.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with it. Even though they almost returned it the chances of it was small and he tried to break it open. We were getting the ball back in the second half. It was a bad throw, nothing more nothing less.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3q63l0qu said:
Wilson was the one who threw the ball, that INT was all on Wilson. He knows the situation, the time, the distance. He was trying to make a great play instead of the safe one, very uncharacteristic of him.
Completely agree. He must throw it away there unless someone is VERY open immediately.

chet380

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":13wj3urg said:

FYI, everyone in the English-speaking world except the Exceptional Nation spells "DEFENCE" with a "C" and not a "S" - the same for licence, offence, pretence, etc

Also, as a matter of curiousity, why is it that only Americans use Roman numerals after their given names?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Watch Bevell's press conference from this week. They think about this stuff a lot and he explains their process in detail. They know exactly when they are in field goal range, communicate it directly to Russ, and make it a very high priority to not take negative plays. Sometimes people just make mistakes, however, like putting too much on a pass or using an inferior spelling of a common word.

I don't think that most of you actually want our coaching staff to take decision making away from Russ. It's reasonable to be upset that we had a couple of bad outcomes today but giving Russ the ability to attempt safe plays is one of the things that he typically does well.