Pre Snap Penalties

Largent80

Reaction score
Unbelievable that we are still making false starts at this time of the season. These are pre-season/early game problems and usually on the road, and not at home.

A few of these gave us 3rd and longs and should be fixed by now.

I don't know but I am not liking what Carpenter brings to the table, contract year and he is just...underwhelming. Okung makes these stupid fouls every game. Otherwise, these guys play ok...It is a head scratcher as to why the play in this fashion.

Then Sweezy had 2 fouls in a row. I am just going Why?

Not trying to be a downer, but these penalties should have been addressed by now and are costly.

#done

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
And Britt still can't execute a legal cut block, so he got himself his token clipping penalty in there today before it was too late. Not a pre-snap penalty, but another example of our line's inability to execute on the fundamentals and to commit unforced errors.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I don't think there was a miscommunication on the snap count. I just think our guys were trying to get a jump on an aggressive front seven that was bringing the heat, and pass protection is not our forte, so false starts and holds tend to happen with this unit.

That was Okung's first penalty in what - eight weeks?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Carpenter whiffed again, this time on Dial who he let run right by him and in to our QB. Meanwhile Carpenter runs downfield going who knows where. Cut this guy already, he's dangerousand costs us great plays with his stupidity.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I said this in the Gameday forum and I'll say it again here. Cable's job needs to be in jeopardy. He has proven to be ineffective at teaching good blocking techniques so they resort to holding and clipping and he can't coach the linemen to not commit pre-snap penalties.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Factor in britts moronic clipping, and yeah, our oline might be our Achilles heel in January. Lack of discipline at home is inexcusable. I can't even fathom what britt is thinking when he's on the backside of runs and gets these clipping penalties.

taco40

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: It's tough playing at C-Link field. It's so loud for the offenses. If you were there, you'd be amazed that ANY offensive lineman could hear the play call. Maybe the Hawks should try a silent count. Can some of those guys count? :sarcasm_off:

It certainly is frustrating to watch so many false starts week in and week out. Yes, they are going against very tough lines, but come on, man... :les:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
ivotuk":1cdf01gn said:
It comes down to coaching...
No it doesn't it comes down to focus and execution. Presnap penalties are entirely on the player. Execution is always on the player. Too suggest the coaches are Ok with false starts and offsides (Def) is silly.

vonstout

Reaction score
We lead the league with 25 false starts and are second in off sides with 10. We used to get a lot of false starts in our favor at home because of the 12's, but that doesn't seem to be happening as much this year, although Idon't get to see all the games here in Wisconsin. They always seem to come at critical times in the game too.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1ga76mu6 said:
ivotuk":1ga76mu6 said:
It comes down to coaching...
No it doesn't it comes down to focus and execution. Presnap penalties are entirely on the player. Execution is always on the player. Too suggest the coaches are Ok with false starts and offsides (Def) is silly.
And it's the coach's responsibility to teach them how to play with discipline so they don't commit pre-snap penalties.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Largent80":3h6pl9qn said:
Unbelievable that we are still making false starts at this time of the season. These are pre-season/early game problems and usually on the road, and not at home.

A few of these gave us 3rd and longs and should be fixed by now.

I don't know but I am not liking what Carpenter brings to the table, contract year and he is just...underwhelming. Okung makes these stupid fouls every game. Otherwise, these guys play ok...It is a head scratcher as to why the play in this fashion.

Then Sweezy had 2 fouls in a row. I am just going Why?

Not trying to be a downer, but these penalties should have been addressed by now and are costly.

#done

Those are not on carpenter or the oline they are on Rw. He needs to make the snap happen quicker so they do not have to hold their position to long. It is unreasonable to ask an NFL oline to hold for a 2 count.

Hendo66

Reaction score
It is unbelievable that after 14 games this shit is still happening. I don't know who's to blame but it puts this team at a big disadvantage. I can only hope it gets better but AZ & STL are no gimmes. Not to mention Playoffs......

minormillikin

Reaction score
What I find interesting is how visiting teams don't get false starts in Seattle anymore. That used to be a big thing, but now our team gets way more false starts than our opponents.

I did a count last year or the year before and it wasn't even close. Centurylink = visitors' false starts has become a myth.

Our opponents have figured out how to avoid false starts in the noise more than our guys have learned to avoid false starts in the quiet.

jake206

Reaction score
Its not the coaching, its the player drafting. The selection of Britt and Sweezy was a bit a stretch to begin with. Hawks need to select legit players like Bitonio, who they could've drafted this year. But chose to pass on.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I could swear i have read this exact post, every week for the past 15 weeks. Maybe it's because I have seen it, and maybe that's because every week it's the same thing, pre-snap penalties. When will it end? :x

HawkWow

Reaction score
jake206":dvekqifs said:
Its not the coaching, its the player drafting. The selection of Britt and Sweezy was a bit a stretch to begin with. Hawks need to select legit players like Bitonio, who they could've drafted this year. But chose to pass on.

And who was the coach that drafted them? Let's throw the names Carpenter and Moffitt into the mix as well. No matter how you shake it, Cable's prints are all over this crime scene, so yes, it's coaching.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawkWow":1aic7vke said:
jake206":1aic7vke said:

And who was the coach that drafted them? Let's throw the names Carpenter and Moffitt into the mix as well. No matter how you shake it, Cable's prints are all over this crime scene, so yes, it's coaching.

Sweezy has been dominant at times this year, playing at a near Pro Bowl level if he cleans up some of his issues in pass pro. To get a full-time starter over the last three years with a 7th Round pick is unbelievable.

Britt was an excellent draft choice. Without him, we would have been pretty much screwed this year. I don't know who would have been starting. They probably would have kept Eric Winston, who would have been a disaster in so many ways.

The problem has not been drafting Sweezy and Britt, the problem was not drafting very many offensive linemen at all in 2012 and 2013. They were really not as committed to the position group as they should have been, and we are paying for that decision in some ways.

My hope is that they add a true pass protecting OT in this year's draft to develop behind Okung and push Britt.