Carroll on half time adjustments and the running game

hawknation2014

Reaction score
“ We just got the game plan out [at half time]. We had six runs in the first half. Some things happened, and calls and checks and things like that where we got things taken away from the running game and we just missed opportunities. The good thing is that we zeroed in, we knew what we wanted to do and we were able to go out and do it. I think the attitude of the guys up front to make it work was great, and it was a great turnaround. ”

Carroll implied there were "four or five" missed opportunities to get Lynch the football in the first half and that this was corrected at half time.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 9f10766e74

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":d66ih87u said:
“ We just got the game plan out [at half time]. We had six runs in the first half. Some things happened, and calls and checks and things like that where we got things taken away from the running game and we just missed opportunities. The good thing is that we zeroed in, we knew what we wanted to do and we were able to go out and do it. I think the attitude of the guys up front to make it work was great, and it was a great turnaround. ”

Carroll implied there were "five or six" missed opportunities to get Lynch the football in the first half and that this was corrected at half time.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... c7c2fecb4b

The one I got in the link was from 2 weeks ago.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
ivotuk":12no1lk5 said:
hawknation2014":12no1lk5 said:

Carroll implied there were "five or six" missed opportunities to get Lynch the football in the first half and that this was corrected at half time.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... c7c2fecb4b

The one I got in the link was from 2 weeks ago.

My bad. Fixed.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
"Also, we struggled in the first half on offense, too, and really were determined to come out and run the football, and you could see it, it was just such a big change. Marshawn was great. The guys up front really took off, and the line of scrimmage just changed. It was a terrific finish for us today, and a really solid opponent."

“We’re so committed [to the running game], we’re committed as you can get. Sometimes it just kind of gets away. We had no intention to run the ball six times in the first half. But, there were probably four of five plays in there that got checked one way or another that we didn’t get the run that we were hoping to get. It’s a long game. We had plenty of time. We didn’t panic about it; our commitment is there. I don’t know what we rushed for today, but it was pretty substantial. 150-something. That’s us. Playing defense and doing all that."

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Translation for those who don't speak "Pete": "At halftime I took Bevell into the woodshed and gave him a good old fashioned you know what and told him to actually do his job"

Laloosh

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":7hdtpnqd said:
Translation for those who don't speak "Pete": "At halftime I took Bevell into the woodshed and gave him a good old fashioned you know what and told him to actually do his job"

Ah, I interpreted it as Russell calling audibles out of runs and into passes. Thanks for clarifying.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Laloosh":1ela1786 said:
therealjohncarlson":1ela1786 said:

Ah, I interpreted it as Russell calling audibles out of runs and into passes. Thanks for clarifying.

Ah, but I think your initial interpretation isn't all wrong. It's still all speculation, but I'm sure there was a combo of check outs by Russ, and play calls based on formation from Bevell. They were probably technically, situational correct calls. I'm still not so sure they were wrong either. If you are gonna be hell bent on running the ball regardless how bunched up the D is, it's best to do that in the second half, when the D is starting to tire. Kind of a no-brainer 'adjustment' if the score is still close and the plays called in the 1st half weren't working.

getnasty

Reaction score
If you go back and look at the play by play of the first half, there might be one time you would say "we should have ran the ball there". Offense puts at least 9 points on the board if not for a hold by Britt and Russ throwing that pick at the end of the half. I thought Bevell actaully call a good game.