Wrong Call on Roughing Penalty

HawkGA

Reaction score
So says the NFL. I think they are correct that it was technically the wrong call. Given where the ref was, however, and the angle of the defenders head when he was in views, it was a perfectly reasonable call. It was only the defender looking up at the last second that would make it not a penalty but that was too late for the ref to see.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/15/ ... ed-hochuli

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Nice to have the other team getting the apology for a change.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Two things.
-The NFL always errors on the side of caution.... just the way it is now a days. We've seen it go against us. Earl Thomas vs Miami a year ago...... Just the way it is,

-second, it was irrelevant. We were already up by 3, we kick there and are up by 6. The niners barely reached mid field. let alone the red zone the rest of the game. One point lead yesterday in th second half was more then enough with our D.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It was a bad call and the NFL should admit it.

Still doesn't explain why the 49ers Offense was held to 67 yards in the second half and could not get past the Seattle 38...but yeah, that was a bad call. Just don't believe it cost the 49ers the game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You could tell from the ref's angle, that all he saw was Reid's helmet into Russell's chest.

So I guess that's why he threw the flag? idk, I thought it was a bad call. But as I told my Whiner friend when he texted me crying over this play, it was a make up call for the terrible holding call on Britt that would have given us a 1st and 10 on the 11. Totally reminded me of the phantom holding call on Locklear in the SB. Bull#$&!

ManBunts

Reaction score
It was. But they also missed several blocks in the back by them on us. And in the end, all it changes is the score, not the outcome.

But clearly from the beginning Hochuli's group (4th most penalties called I think the stat was) made it known THEY were going to control the game, and from that point you knew it would be a crap shoot on what they'd call

Hawknballs

Reaction score
49ers 10 points in 8 quarters against Seattle this year. One questionable call doesn't change that. Anyways we've been so hosed by penalties and no calls on opponents that I'm not gonna feel bad about one here against a team that wasn't going to the playoffs anyways and is making thier own problems for themselves. Really hard to feel bad about an insignificant call when the coach and owner have made thier own team distractions all year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
gowazzu02":19cgii4a said:
Two things.
-The NFL always errors on the side of caution.... just the way it is now a days. We've seen it go against us. Earl Thomas vs Miami a year ago...... Just the way it is,

-second, it was irrelevant. We were already up by 3, we kick there and are up by 6. The niners barely reached mid field. let alone the red zone the rest of the game. One point lead yesterday in th second half was more then enough with our D.

Might as well add a third:

There was a PI call against the guy covering Willson that wasn't called, that would've resulted in a FG at least. I know we didn't score on that drive, so add 3 points and it really only comes down to a 1 point difference.

I can't say for certain that Britt's holding call was BS; in TV replay it looked like he could've drug Brooks down with one arm.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That was a bogus holding call on Britt. I rewatched that several times and Justin did a great job of pushing Brooks past Russell. Brooks slid and fell down and instead of 1st and goal, the referees call holding and kill the drive.

Don't care about the blown call. Referees have to call it at real time, from the angle they have. They don't have the luxury of slo-mo and 4 different angles.

We could bitch about the "wrong no call on the PI against baldwin in the KC game, that did effect the outcome of the game.

The roughing the passer did not effect the outcome of the game yesterday.

STIFLING DEFENSE effected the outcome of the game. Nothing else.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hawks46":2mn05fjm said:
gowazzu02":2mn05fjm said:
Two things.

Might as well add a third:

There was a PI call against the guy covering Willson that wasn't called, that would've resulted in a FG at least. I know we didn't score on that drive, so add 3 points and it really only comes down to a 1 point difference.

I can't say for certain that Britt's holding call was BS; in TV replay it looked like he could've drug Brooks down with one arm.

The non-call on the Willson DPI was crazy.... the guy never even turned to the ball, just went straight at Willson mauling him as the ball was in route.

lukerguy

Reaction score
HawkFan72":32pophfa said:
It was a bad call and the NFL should admit it.

Still doesn't explain why the 49ers Offense was held to 67 yards in the second half and could not get past the Seattle 38...but yeah, that was a bad call. Just don't believe it cost the 49ers the game.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

1) Terrible call
2) If the 49ers had moved the ball in the 2nd half similar to the 1st half, then I could see it making the difference in the game.

If situations were reversed though, I would be pretty ticked.

Rainger

Reaction score
Bad call or not, that is the exact call that Manning, Brady, Rogers and Brees get everyday. Not condoning it, I hate where the NFL is going with most of the rules but crap we are usually far more on the other side of bad calls.

But for all the bad calls that happen every week, that call did not change the out come of the game and was by far a long way from the worst call.

It wouldn't have even been making the national media if not for Buck and Troy going off and tying to make it into the worst call in NFL history. Trying to stir the controversy over another SF loss to Seattle.

rcaido

Reaction score
Well according Joe Buck its the worse call he has ever seen & will be talked about all week. 49ers loss was because of this call & might as well put an * now.

This will be the reason why Harbaugh lost his job & Krapernick is a backup QB. The same reason why the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl was because of the Fail Mary that year.

Seahawks has always been getting all the calls. They need to investigate as Paul Allen is paying the NFL.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Meh

kamhit.gif

- bsd

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Reading on the whiners forum, someone asked, "I just don't know what the league can expect Nick Moody to do on that play."

Well, my response would be to get your helmet out of the way, get your helmet on either side of Wilson's chest, lead with your shoulder. Seemed to me he led with his helmet... yea his head was up which was good, you want to see what your hitting, but it really was a borderline whether it was his face-mask making contact or the crown of his helmet. If it's even close to looking like spearing, those ref's are going to throw the flag.

I guess how the more I look at it, the more I fail to see how this is the, "That's the worst call of 2014."

lukerguy

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1sr9kyix said:
Reading on the whiners forum, someone asked, "I just don't know what the league can expect Nick Moody to do on that play."

Well, my response would be to get your helmet out of the way, get your helmet on either side of Wilson's chest, lead with your shoulder. Seemed to me he led with his helmet... yea his head was up which was good, you want to see what your hitting, but it really was a borderline whether it was his face-mask making contact or the crown of his helmet. If it's even close to looking like spearing, those ref's are going to throw the flag.

I guess how the more I look at it, the more I fail to see how this is the, "That's the worst call of 2014."

Dude, it was a terrible call. Don't even argue.

Do you know what happens when people try and lead with their shoulder versus Russell? Well they miss because it's impossible to lead with your shoulder and yet still arm tackle.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
rcaido":1dydrklu said:
Well according Joe Buck its the worse call he has ever seen & will be talked about all week. 49ers loss was because of this call & might as well put an * now.

This will be the reason why Harbaugh lost his job & Krapernick is a backup QB. The same reason why the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl was because of the Fail Mary that year.

Seahawks has always been getting all the calls. They need to investigate as Paul Allen is paying the NFL.

I can't tell if you are a Seahawks fan being sarcastic or a 49ers fan who made one of the funniest posts of the year.