Weight of starting left side

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I'm guessing somewhere north of 700 lbs. This has got to be the biggest left side in the NFL?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Which proves that being big is nothing......Jones and Hutch were considerably smaller yet better in every way.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Not nothing. It proves that weight is not as important *if you happen to have two hall-of-fame-quality linemen on that side*. Most teams don't. Comparing apples to apples, weight is advantageous if they can still move well.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
631 combined weight for Okung and Carp. (641 with Bailey and Carp)
638 combined weight for Hutch and Jones

Below I took the weight of the current starting LT and LG for each team mentioned.

Top 5 run blocking olines thru week 14 based on football outsiders at http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Dallas 640 lbs
NO 614 lbs
Balt 630 lbs
Pits 628 lbs
NE 625 lbs
(Seattle is 6th)

Top 5 pass blocking olines thru week 14 by the same site.
Denver 635 lbs
NE 625 lbs
Eagles 626 lbs
Oakland 676 lbs
Browns 617 lbs
(Hawks ranked 23rd)

Weight means very little and no we arent close to north of 700

nsport

Reaction score
I did enjoy watching all that 2nd half success rushing to the left, though. I think the majority was after Bailey came in to relieve the injured Okung.

OP
OP
L

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2juwi610 said:
631 combined weight for Okung and Carp. (641 with Bailey and Carp)
638 combined weight for Hutch and Jones

Below I took the weight of the current starting LT and LG for each team mentioned.

Top 5 run blocking olines thru week 14 based on football outsiders at http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Dallas 640 lbs
NO 614 lbs
Balt 630 lbs
Pits 628 lbs
NE 625 lbs
(Seattle is 6th)

Top 5 pass blocking olines thru week 14 by the same site.
Denver 635 lbs
NE 625 lbs
Eagles 626 lbs
Oakland 676 lbs
Browns 617 lbs
(Hawks ranked 23rd)

Weight means very little and no we arent close to north of 700

You put that together fast.

I know the listed weight of Carpenter and Bailey. I saw Bailey last week during the game and I think he weighs a lot more than his listed weight. I'm 6'3" and when I finished playing I was 320 lbs and I know what it looks like. Okung is taller but he is also trim as a lot of left tackles are. Bailey is a monster as is Carpenter.

justafan

Reaction score
The best ZB teams I have seen have used smaller more athletic Olineman.Gibbs had a reputation for being brutal about his players weights,
This is one of the big differences between Gibbs and Cable,

keith da hawk

Reaction score
nsport":124gkwcx said:
I did enjoy watching all that 2nd half success rushing to the left, though. I think the majority was after Bailey came in to relieve the injured Okung.

I've liked Bailey for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a shot at the starting job next year. Okung just hasn't panned out the way I thought he would.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2e8pat7f said:
Not nothing. It proves that weight is not as important *if you happen to have two hall-of-fame-quality linemen on that side*. Most teams don't. Comparing apples to apples, weight is advantageous if they can still move well.

My point was weight doesn't matter if the player doesn't know how to use it to his advantage. It's like a having a 6'6 receiver who runs 4.3 but can't catch...what good does his speed and height do? I guess that got lost in my earlier post.

While they are not HOF's the current Seahawks left side boasts two first round picks - Okung and Carpenter. One of whom, is widely considered by many on here, as the weakest lineman on the OL. Just so happens to be the biggest weight wise.