All of the sacks and pressures vs Niners

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sacks and pressures Sunday
11:15 2nd play of the game. Seattle dials up a play action deep ball. SF blitzes 6, one of them is a spy who backs out of the blitz. Still, SF ends up with a 3 on 2 numbers advantage on the left side. The fact that this blitz surprises anyone at all is inexcusable, Aldon Smith is lined up over Baldwin in the slot. Clearly Smith is not going to cover Baldwin. After the snap, Aldon rushes, and Baldwin still runs a pretty deep route. If ever a route should be changed to a hot route, it is that one.
9:05, 3rd and 10. Seattle goes 4 wide. Lynch runs a flare, covered by a LB. Justin Smith pushes the pocket in a 4 man rush.Other than the flare route with Lynch, not one route is shorter than a 15 yard out pattern on the right side. 3 WR are more than 20 yards down the field when Wilson tries to escape the pocket to the right and gets sacked for a loss of 2.

5:48, 2nd and 6. Seattle has 2 WR right, 2 TE left. Play action from the gun, Brooks shakes Britt easily, who has carried out the play action by feinting run block first. Brooks is past him in a flash. one tight end stays in to block, and other than the outlet to Lynch, not one of the other 3 routes is shorter than 15 yards down the field.

5:43, 3rd and 6.
There was no pressure this play, I want to highlight it because I have been critical of some play design, but this one is brilliant.
Trips set left, TE right vs a zone look. Baldwin motions from the trips to the right of Moeaki, and the D stays zone. Moeaki freezes the safety with a seam route, Baldwin runs a 10 yard dig behind him, easy pass and catch. Also, Lynch leaks right, and if the pass goes to him it might be an even bigger play. That is one to look for in the future, I bet we see it soon.

3:57, 2nd 9, spread formation with double WR stack either side. Walters and Kearse are in the right side stack. The niners send a corner blitz from that side, it's ballsy, but neither Walters or Kearse recognize it and both run deep routes. If one breaks off for a hot route it is easy pass and catch. The pocket is good, the blitzing corner finally gets there, and Russell throws it away out the back of the endzone.

3:49, 3rd and 9. Niners blitz 6, Moeaki actually runs a hot route dig that is open, But Russ throws the seam route over his head. My guess is Moeaki ran the wrong route. Can't bitch about the O-line here, they were outnumbered.

2nd QTR
13:17, 1st and 10, own 11. I formation, 1 TE, 2WR. This play illustrates the boom or bust big play nature the Seahawks live and die by. Play action with all the line in a 3 point stance, speed rush advantage goes to the Niners as the Oline feints run blocking. Niners send 5 pass rushers anyway, pocket collapses, Brooks and Smith get edge pressure, Wilson throws 47 yard bomb to Kearse. If this play ends up a sack, many blame the line, but it was play action pass pro vs a blitz, the outlet in Lynch is accounted for by a LB, and the shortest route the three targets run is over 20 yards down the field. Pressure is pretty much inherent to the play call.

11:55 2nd and 8. 2 WR 2 TE formation. SF shows an 8 man front, it looks like Wilson audibles to a pass because the O-line doesn't fake run blocking and there is no play action, even though the line is in a 3 point run stance. Kearse runs a hot, Russ throws a hot, gain of 7.

10:42 1st and 10, 3 WR 1 TE. Line is in 2 point stance, Britt gets beat and "holds". Poor kickslide by Britt. Negates the great pass of 22 yards to P-rich. It feels like Britt gets flagged more for bad form than any actual hold.

9:10, 2nd and 18. Empty formation, 1 TE. SF fakes a 6 man blitz, sends 4, the other 2 drop right in front of two actual hot routes (yay Bevell!). In fact, all 5 Seattle targets run short routes. And are all covered. Ray McDonald shoves Britt into Wilson's lap, he scrambles for a gain of 1.

8:35, 3rd and 17. 4 WR. I really liked this play design, with 2 crossers in the middle that would get Seattle into FG range, but it is well covered. Russ eats the ball, loses 2, but I have to credit the D for taking away the 2 primary targets.

:47, 2nd and 1. 3WR 1 TE. Another playcall I don't understand, play action handoff with a left step zone block slide, SF is not worried about giving up a short running play. SF is all over the route runners, and this play is a disaster from the start. Somehow Russ throws the ball away.

:29. 2nd and 24. My favorite play, the essense of Russness. 3WR, 1 TE. 5 targets, no one open, the pocket holds up. Russ fakes a scramble, fakes stepping into a pocket, and 9 ST defenders either pass rushing or playing zone react to him. Baldwin is able to break free down the left redline, gain of 29. There is never really any pressure on this play, but it's all because Russ fakes reacting to pressure. He is one cool ass sumbish.

:19, 1st and 10. Brooks gets pressure after 4 seconds, but this is coverage pressure. No one to throw to.

:13 2nd and 10, 3WR 1 TE, big right side blitz and Russ throws it away.

:08 3rd and 10. The pick. SF goes to deep quarters, blitzes 6 on a 5 man front.

3rd QTR.
12:05 3rd and 6. 4 WR. SF blitzes 6 again. Blitz is well designed, it looks lie 7 rushers, but one peels off to take away Lynch. Russ ducks Aldon, throws it up to single coverage, incomplete to Willson.

5:17. 1st and 10. Another play action gone wrong. Russ bootlegs to his left, only to find Aldon Smith isn't fooled and is about to deposit Willson right into his face. There is space to his right, Russ fades that way and throws it incomplete to Moeaki. Any play hoping Willson can single block Aldon is based on hope.

4th QTR.
14:24, 2nd and 5. The almost touchdown to Michael. 3 WR, 1TE, this play has Bailey singled up in pass pro with Aldon. Predictably Bailey gets worked, but Russ has time at first, though his targets just aren't open. Russ creates some time and nearly a huge play, but takes a hit at the end of it just the same. This play was designed to get the ball out quickly, but Russ held the ball.

14:15. 3rd and 5, 3 WR, 1 TE. SF sends 6 again (I don't think I have ever seen them blitz this much in a game vs us) Russ has more time than you might think at first recollection, he scans tow targets and backpedals, then throws it over Prich in the back corner, and gets smoked by Moody in the process. Good blitz and coverage by SF.
4:28. 2nd and 23. Jumbo set, Gilliam is eligible. 2 WR. 8 should block 5, right? But SF is ready with great zone coverage on our 2 down the field targets, and Bailey and LJP whiff on Aldon, and Russ gets sacked for a loss of 7.

4:20. 3rd and 30. 3 WR, 1 TE. 2nd worst play call of the game. Bevell rarely calls screens unless behind on down and distance, and SF is well aware. They take away Lynch, the play is dead, and Russ gets smashed. Loss of 9 more.

The offensive line had it's fair share of gaffes, about 5 I would say, but once again it isn't as simple as the Oline sucks. Some odd play action calls, a handful of times when the O-line is outnumbered by blitzers, a few plays designed to be quick hitters that are not open so Russ holds the ball.

All in all, I was wrong to think Bevell called a good game. Decent, but not good. SF definitely knows our tendencies, and played our play action very well. SF blitzed a ton more than I ever remember them doing before, which seemed to really surprise us. We got caught running a lot of late developing routes vs blitzes as well. For the most part, we played well when we were straight forward. Passing on passing downs and distances from 2 point stances, running from heavy sets. When we tried to fool the Niners we looked kinda sorry.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good info man.

It's easy to say "got dang, Britt is terrible" I know I've said it, but when he run fakes on a PA, a quick edge rusher, if he ignores the PA, is going to have an easy advantage...on a lot of Tackles really. Either we're not selling it well, or SF just knows us too well or a combo of both.

Moeaki and Wilson not connecting on the one hot route isn't a huge issue. They haven't played together very much. That should improve.

So Scotte, do you think it's on Russ or the WRs that we're not recognizing blitz ? In review, does it looks like Russ is looking for a hot route, or do we just not "get it" ? I've read that Russ is worse against the blitz this year than last year.

I thought the NIners defense played pretty well this game. Holding us to 17 points at home is a good game. Problem is, they were never going to score 20. Sounds like they guessed right on a lot of play calls and had a good defense for it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm ready to move on from Bevell. He's pretty bad at knowing when to call play action, his route trees are way too primitive, and we just end up moving away from the run far too often. Pete's taken on some of the blame for the last one, but...yeah. I'm ready for someone who can create separation for WRs and stick to our best tendencies.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ubsam6n said:
Good info man.

It's easy to say "got dang, Britt is terrible" I know I've said it, but when he run fakes on a PA, a quick edge rusher, if he ignores the PA, is going to have an easy advantage...on a lot of Tackles really. Either we're not selling it well, or SF just knows us too well or a combo of both.

Moeaki and Wilson not connecting on the one hot route isn't a huge issue. They haven't played together very much. That should improve.

So Scotte, do you think it's on Russ or the WRs that we're not recognizing blitz ? In review, does it looks like Russ is looking for a hot route, or do we just not "get it" ? I've read that Russ is worse against the blitz this year than last year.

I thought the NIners defense played pretty well this game. Holding us to 17 points at home is a good game. Problem is, they were never going to score 20. Sounds like they guessed right on a lot of play calls and had a good defense for it.
The draw to Turbin might be the only play where we really fooled them.
SF knows us very well. They targeted their blitzes perfectly. Early in the game we didn't run hots, just outlets to a back, but those were covered. Then we ran some short stuff, and SF adjusted. They incorporated some fake blitzes designed to jump hot routes, but Russ didn't bite. To my eye, in the second half SF got caught trying to repeat first half success. In the first half they used certain looks to get Russ to change the play to a pass, then blitzed. In the second half, we stuck with the run and had some success.

What worked passing was zone beaters. The more we tried to fool San Fran, the worse plays looked. The more we ran matchups and let the run blockers maul them, the better it looked. Even last year I saw that SF plays our play action like it's a pass with at least one edge rusher, and in the 2nd half we just ran on those plays, and they got caught getting edge rushers up the field.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3qv3dy4t said:
The offensive line had it's fair share of gaffes, about 5 I would say, but once again it isn't as simple as the Oline sucks. Some odd play action calls, a handful of times when the O-line is outnumbered by blitzers, a few plays designed to be quick hitters that are not open so Russ holds the ball.

But, but... Dallas! O-line! Fix!

pehawk

Reaction score
By default, this thread probably wont spur on too much discussion. There's no low-hanging fruit to grab ahold of. Be it; Bevell sucks, the WR's suck, Bevell's just fine, Anthony! serenading Russell, etc...there's none of that.

But, this thread is exactly why this place still remains a cut above the rest. A cut above Twitter, bloggers, professional media. This is better than all of that. This post explains, teaches and enhances our fanaticism on every possible level. There's no agenda or self-aggrandizing. It's just the facts.

So, thank you Scotte. Thank you for this. You're most likely a deplorable human being, but obviously a tremendous community member.

XOXO

Eric Hipple

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2dmw3pxz said:
Scottemojo":2dmw3pxz said:

David Carr!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jvj6zyg said:
volsunghawk":1jvj6zyg said:
Scottemojo":1jvj6zyg said:

David Carr!

Him, too.

Personally, I would love to see improvement in all phases of the offense.

I'm pretty happy with the run blocking, but I would like to see better protection from the O-line. Part of it might be talent, but part of it might be the fact that we'll be starting our 7th different combination when we play Arizona. O-lines need continuity. They need to be familiar with how each player works; the more familiarity, the fewer times you'll see one guy try to hand off to his neighbor when that neighbor isn't able/willing to take on the rusher. When we had those outstanding O-lines in the mid 2000s, we had REMARKABLE continuity along the line. I'm not suggesting that this current line would be on that level if they had all stayed healthy all season, but I think they would be playing better than they are now.

I'd also like to see Russell get the ball out quicker at times. His tendency to hold on to the ball is probably rooted in multiple factors. He might have a hard time seeing all the field at times, there might be a long-developing play with no hot reads, or there might be his effort to extend a play and make something big out of nothing. Many times, this pays off beautifully for us, but it has also led to some unnecessary sacks. That's an area in which I think he can improve as he continues to gain experience.

I'd like to see Bevell show better situational awareness in his playcalls. I don't need to go into much detail on this one, as Scotte illustrated things admirably above.

I'd like the WRs to have better situational awareness, too. One thing Rice and Tate were both good at was being aware when the play was breaking down and Russell was scrambling. They would work to get to open spots quickly. I don't think our current WR corps is quite as good at this skill.

pehawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3f4vjij5 said:
Thanks for your analysis Scotte.

I wonder how Britt would hold up as a guard. To me he just looks poor in space.

I think he'll eventually be a guard. A lot of that depends on what they decide with Carp and Okung, but, within the next 2-3 years.

Anyone know if the Hawks worked him out at G at all, like they did Carp?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":fz17c15p said:
By default, this thread probably wont spur on too much discussion. There's no low-hanging fruit to grab ahold of. Be it; Bevell sucks, the WR's suck, Bevell's just fine, Anthony! serenading Russell, etc...there's none of that.

But, this thread is exactly why this place still remains a cut above the rest. A cut above Twitter, bloggers, professional media. This is better than all of that. This post explains, teaches and enhances our fanaticism on every possible level. There's no agenda or self-aggrandizing. It's just the facts.

So, thank you Scotte. Thank you for this. You're most likely a deplorable human being, but obviously a tremendous community member.

XOXO

Eric Hipple
Let me second what Pe said (except the part about you being a deplorable human being of course). Thank you. It's really nice to have someone with some knowledge break this stuff down for us.

XOXO
Scott Mitchell

MontanaHawk05":fz17c15p said:
I'm ready to move on from Bevell. He's pretty bad at knowing when to call play action, his route trees are way too primitive, and we just end up moving away from the run far too often. Pete's taken on some of the blame for the last one, but...yeah. I'm ready for someone who can create separation for WRs and stick to our best tendencies.
Well said Montana. I feel the same way. I think it was interesting that Scott said "All in all, I was wrong to think Bevell called a good game. Decent, but not good." It feels like "decent is often the best we can hope for with him, especially against the teams in our division that know us well. And sadly if we make another Owl run I'm guessing he's back next year because other teams have to wait too long to hire him.

Lastly a comment.....I know the pass pro issues aren't all o-line, but IMO we need better play from that unit pure and simple.

idahohawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2krtb0nk said:

Eric Hipple

I won't argue that this place is great, you are right. But I've gleaned just as much from Twitter & Blogs as I have here.

Great breakdown Scottemojo.

pehawk

Reaction score
idahohawk":1md7ym5l said:
pehawk":1md7ym5l said:

Eric Hipple

I won't argue that this place is great, you are right. But I've gleaned just as much from Twitter & Blogs as I have here.

Great breakdown Scottemojo.

Depends on perspective, I guess. Most bloggers and Twitperts are doing it for validation, in some capacity. The information is always given with the intent of eventual validation and/or in an authoritative tone relating to validation. Not always, but a lot of the time.

cdallan

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":27ffrjwd said:
pehawk":27ffrjwd said:

I met him once. He's kinda lanky, more handsome than both you and me put together,

Peaches, you do know that adding two negative numbers just gives you a bigger negative number, aye?

kearly

Reaction score
Bowie gets mentioned a few times, I'm assuming Bowie was meant to be Britt?

In a 'gist of it' sense, I think Britt is basically Seattle's version of Bryan Bulaga, good run blocker, technically sound most of the time, but easy to beat in pass pro. Bulaga is #2 in pro-bowl voting for tackles for some unfathomable reason. Funny how fans react to similar players differently.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1s124gw6 said:
Thanks for your analysis Scotte.

I wonder how Britt would hold up as a guard. To me he just looks poor in space.
It will snap into place for him. He is a right tackle, you can count the number of really good pass blocking right tackles on one hand, but he has plenty of athleticism and footspeed. So he should get better in space.

Pete is a bit of a Britt fluffer. he makes sure he minimizes Britt's mistakes and maximizes his good deeds in pressers. I think Pete is aware that the only thing standing between Britt and success is some attitude and experience. When he stops letting guys get into him, and takes it to them before they can hit that power step, he will get a lot better.

Keep in mind he played pretty much his whole career at Mizzou in a two point stance pass blocking a quick hitter spread attack. So the fact that he can maul from a 3 point is pretty good.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":39531rpd said:
Bowie gets mentioned a few times, I'm assuming Bowie was meant to be Britt?

In a 'gist of it' sense, I think Britt is basically Seattle's version of Bryan Bulaga, good run blocker, technically sound most of the time, but easy to beat in pass pro. Bulaga is #2 in pro-bowl voting for tackles for some unfathomable reason. Funny how fans react to similar players differently.

'Protects' Aaron Rodgers and his name sounds like it should be a curse word e.g. 'What a steaming pile of Bulaga'. Ticks two of the boxes that pro bowl voters go by.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":9qaeh50l said:
pehawk":9qaeh50l said:

I met him once. He's kinda lanky, more handsome than both you and me put together, and he's generous with the hand-warmers. You'd probably hate him.
I'll warm you hands anytime, Peaches.