This Needs To Be Said

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Short Version:
This is a time to be extremely appreciative and thankful for how good to great this Seahawks team has been. They've been downright spoiling us to historic level both Franchise- and League-wise. Anyone who feels entitled and unappreciative in their fandom expecting much much more... I feel sorry for you and you're missing out on enjoying a great team that has become one of the most hard-headed resilent teams I've seen throughout my years of watching football. Seahawks teams of yesteryear would have folded into mediocracy when burdened with so much injury adversity and internal conflict.

Long-Version
Seahawks are sitting at 10-4 and have reverted back to the team no one wants to play anymore.

Just ask the Seahawks last 8 opponents.

With 2 games left, the Swaghawks control their own destiny for NFC Supremecy, win the next two in the very least they reign over the NFC West Division... perhaps the toughest in the league... and most likely get the #2 seed, depending on what Dallas does (plus some other stuff).

But most of you know this... I don't have to tell you.

My point is... if the Seahawks do end up 12-4. They would end up with only 1 loss more then their 2013 record of 13-3.

And to honor how incredible that accomplisment would be, even now at 10-4 its still a pretty amazing feat considering the amount of attrition and adversity they've battled through.

I. Attrition: How many semi-key to key players from the Superbowl run aren't on this team anymore?

1. FB Michael Robinson
2. WR Golden Tate
3. OW Percy Harvin
4. WR Sidney Rice
5. OG Paul McQuistan
6. OT Breno Giacomini
7. OT Michael Bowie

8. DE Red Bryant
9. DE Chris Clemons
10.DT Clinton McDonald
11. CB Brandon Browner
12. CB Walter Thurmond
13. S Chris Maragos

That's off the top of my head... most of these players were starters, key rotational players, or key special team contributers other than Harvin for like 95% of the time since he did miss most of the season. Most of these players were also big time leaders and/or tone setters.

Counter Additions (not counting re-signed players, drafted players, or free agents added in-season) :

Kevin Williams
Steve Schilling (futures contract)
Marcus Burley (traded for after 4th PS game)
And maybe...
Chris Matthews (futures contract, didn't make the team until two weeks ago)

This is all I've got in mind...and its a very short-list with K-Will the only guy contributing significant snaps right now.

II. Injury Distraction/Subtractions

I.R.'d
1. TE Anthony McCoy (TC)
2. LB Heath Farwell (PS)
3. OC Lemanuel Jeanpierre (waived/injury settlement PS)
4. TE Zach Miller (Wk 3 pretty much)
5. DL Cassius Marsh
6. FB Derrick Coleman (Wk 6)
7. DL Greg Scruggs
8. OL Steve Schilling (between Wk 7-10)
9. DT Brandon Mebane (Wk 11)
10. LB Kevin Pierre-Louis

Missed Games (Non-I.R.)

Max Unger: 8+ games
James Carpenter: 3 games
Cooper Helfet: 3 games
Alvin Bailey: 2 games
Russell Okung: 1+ games
Luke Willson: 1 game

Jeremy Lane: 9 games
Bobby Wagner: 5 games
Tharold Simon: 5 games
Byron Maxwell: 3 games
Marcus Burley: 3 games
Jordan Hill: 3 games
Kam Chanchellor: 2 games
Malcolm Smith: 2 games
Demarcus Dodds [;)] 1+ games
Bruce Irvin: 1 game
Jeron Johnson: 1 game

Add everything up = a whole mess of instability.

Yet, Seahawks still stand strong with a good chance to go 12-4, win their division, and win the conference.

Did I mention Okung (shoulder) and Chancellor (ankle, hip) have been playing with hindering ailments since the beginning of the season?

Have I mentioned the Percy Harvin drama?

Russell Wilson isn't Black Enough?

Marshawn Lynch wants OUT?

Not to mention one of the toughest schedules in the League and playing the first 4 out of 5 games against teams with players making cases for MVP (Rodgers, Rivers (first half of season), Manning, and DeMar,co Murray). With those 3 QBs plus Romo adding up to the L.O.B facing 4 top QBs as opposed to only 2 in 2013 (Luck, Brees).

Obstacle after obstacle over all the losses and injuries and yet the Seahawks still will finish between 10-6 and 12-4.

Seahawks were also in every loss never losing by more than 9 and two coming in extreme weather conditions.

9 pt loss to SD in a 115 degree scorcher, was really only down by 6 but a turnover on downs gave SD an easy FG.

7 pt loss to Cowboys, was really only bad game of season, STs kept it close. Still had a chance at the end tied 23 all.

2 pt loss to STL Rams with the difference in Fisher out-coaching Seahawks on STs on two separate occasions plus a 79 yard KO return that set up a score.

4 pt loss to KC in a 15 degree Chiller @ one of the toughest places to play. Seahawks had numereous chances to put the game away from the Goal Line but couldn't muster up a score.

Just not a bad season, compared to just about any era in Seahawks history, these current Seahawks are spoiling the heck out of us no matter how frustrating they can get sometimes. Straight up the best teams in franchise history while laying the foundation to be a historic NFL team people will remember. That's how much they are spoiling us right now.

253hawk

Reaction score
You forgot Heath Farwell (one of the major reasons our KO return blocking has declined -- but hasn't stopped everyone from blaming whoever we put back there to return.)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
GREAT post!!

Will someone please point Marvin49 in the direction of this post. If you know what I'm talking about, you know why I said that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The only people I know who feel entitled and unappreciative are the fans that jumped on the bandwagon around December 20th of last year.......and I don't even consider those people fans.

Most of us have been around long enough to know we've got a hell of a good thing going right now.

I still vividly remember a game in 2009 on the road against the Colts where Manning just DESTROYED our pathetic finesse soft ass defense and being so damn frustrated I could barely contain my anger. Thinking I'd NEVER see the day when we had one of those nasty defenses like I was so jealous of when I'd watch other teams like the Ravens or Steelers.

I ain't EVER gonna take this team for granted, and especially this defense. I thank baby Jesus every single night that I get to call this defense mine.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
253hawk":2ps63hk9 said:
You forgot Heath Farwell (one of the major reasons our KO return blocking has declined -- but hasn't stopped everyone from blaming whoever we put back there to return.)

He was credited #2 on the I.R.'d list but as Heath Miller... its fixed now.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
quote="Sgt. Largent"]The only people I know who feel entitled and unappreciative are the fans that jumped on the bandwagon around December 20th of last year.......and I don't even consider those people fans.

Most of us have been around long enough to know we've got a hell of a good thing going right now.[/quote]

We are at the absolute BEST that the Hawks have ever been! I cannot see how it can get any better.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
We are at the absolute BEST that the Hawks have ever been! I cannot see how it can get any better.[/quote]

Wait for the repeat, then it'll be all bubbly hugs and kisses for everyone.

idahohawk

Reaction score
This post is fantastic & provides great perspective for all of us.

We are in the midst of the greatest run in Seahawk history. Enjoy the now everyone!

How amped up do you think they are gonna be Sunday in prime time with so much at stake? I think Arizona is in for a big surprise.

GO Hawks!

byau

Reaction score
Amen_Brother-s270x263-114786-580.jpg

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Pandion?? Swaghawk.....I love it. Thanks for the fantastic post.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Good post. I think I mentioned it before, if Pete and Schneider keeps churning in rosters like this and the staff employs their coaching discipline (next man up, or whatever its called). This team has a potential to be a dynasty like the Steelers of the late 70's, or SF and Cowboys, etc.

Rainger

Reaction score
What the OP's post reveals is that we all should be very appreciative that we have Pete Carroll.

His vision by getting JS and bringing in the right coaches and creating the meanest, hard nosed team in the NFL is the greatest thing that any Seahawk fan could want.

If you watch the Rain City videos it really shows how the hiring of Pete was one of the most important dates in the history of this franchise and as he said at the end of his speech on the parade day, "we aren't finished".

We have more years of this great culture, organization and wins.

We are blessed!

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":9mmxc3be said:
GREAT post!!

Will someone please point Marvin49 in the direction of this post. If you know what I'm talking about, you know why I said that.

It's no use. He'll spin that the niners losses were SOOOOOO much more important than the Seahawks losses. Plus, once the niners get all those old injured players back, they'll be awesome once again.. until Baalke's picks are once again forced to play.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
rideaducati":2bfwv718 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2bfwv718 said:
GREAT post!!

It's no use. He'll spin that the niners losses were SOOOOOO much more important than the Seahawks losses. Plus, once the niners get all those old injured players back, they'll be awesome once again.. until Baalke's picks are once again forced to play.

In May?????? LOL :twisted: :stirthepot:

kearly

Reaction score
This is my 25th season as a Seahawks fan, and I honestly can't remember any previous Seahawks team overcoming more adversity. The mental toughness aspect of this team is quietly its biggest strength. Pete and Russ are a big part of that.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28g45m5j said:
I still vividly remember a game in 2009 on the road against the Colts where Manning just DESTROYED our pathetic finesse soft ass defense and being so damn frustrated I could barely contain my anger. Thinking I'd NEVER see the day when we had one of those nasty defenses like I was so jealous of when I'd watch other teams like the Ravens or Steelers.

This comment reminds me of the home opener in 2012 against the Cowboys. Was 27-7 the final score in that one? Late in that game I recall telling my friend I was watching with that even if I had seen some very good Seahawk teams in the 2003-7 era, I had never seen such a physical defense or watched this team beat up another team like they did to Dallas that day. Almost 3 yrs later, the D is still doing it.