Brooks: Cardinals Can Beat Seahawks w/Stifling Defense

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000444983/article/arizona-cardinals-can-beat-seattle-seahawks-with-elite-defense[/urltargetblank]

Although I will agree that their defense is the reason you can't look past this week, I don't agree that they will be enough.

The article itself is a really good read though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that article, good stuff!

I agree with you that their D won't be enough and their O will be hard pressed to succeed against the hawks D.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Bucky brooks is a seahawk hater. I hate that dude. Not just because I'm a seahawk fan and he hates the seahawks. I just hate writers in general who like to have a bias against one team. This dude is it. He wrote an article about dalton being better than wilson for crying out loud. Ditch this guy and don't give him any attention.

kearly

Reaction score
I think one of the ways to sum up Seattle quickly would be to say that they are about as straightforward as it gets on both sides of the ball. They want to beat teams by leaning on talent discrepancy, not with the tricks of the trade.

That kind of plays into the hands of crafty coaches like Arians and Fisher who know exactly how to throw a wrench in things. Seattle is notoriously slow to adjust on offense, and Pete is fairly easy to trick in general.

But there's a reason Seattle is a heavy road favorite in Vegas. I just don't see how the Cardinals' offense gets anything done. They are probably looking at 150 yards of offense in this game. They would have to completely shut down Seattle's offense just to get a 50/50 chance of winning.

kearly

Reaction score
Crizilla":ips60whr said:
Bucky brooks is a seahawk hater. I hate that dude.

I don't mind if you hate him, but Brooks ain't no Seahawks hater. Just because a guy doesn't kiss the Seahawks collective ass at every opportunity does not make him a hater. Well, unless you're talking about Pete Prisco or Walter Football. They definitely hate the Hawks, they even seem to take pride in it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":9g22br7g said:
Crizilla":9g22br7g said:
Bucky brooks is a seahawk hater. I hate that dude.

I don't mind if you hate him, but Brooks ain't no Seahawks hater. Just because a guy doesn't kiss the Seahawks collective ass at every opportunity does not make him a hater. Well, unless you're talking about Pete Prisco or Walter Football. They definitely hate the Hawks, they even seem to take pride in it.
Agree. Brooks gave the 'hawks many props (defense) in his weekly grading, but criticized (offense) where warranted. I find him fairly objective...and he actually watches games rather than following a stat sheet.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Sorry but I can't take anyone who ranks dalton ahead of wilson seriously. Sure yeah he might be giving us credit now because he has to...but I've seen numerous articles from brooks where it sounded like he was a butt hurt niners fan or something

Also, the guy thinks luke mccown is a "trusted veteran". LUKE MCCOWN.

Schadie001

Reaction score
First, last time I checked WE happen to be the number 1 rated defense not Arizona. Every team knows to stop our offense you stop Lynch and Wilson, but I believe that will be a lot harder than our defense stopping a Arizona offense led by a 3rd string qb. To win they actually have to score points and our D hasn't given up many of those the past few weeks. This guy tried but you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still just a pig. You can x and o our offense all day long but you still have a scrub QB playing against the friggin Seattle Seahawks D. You lose.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Wasn't Brooks a scout for the Hawks at one time? The only way the Cards beat us is by flukiness - that is only thing that worries me.

xXPhoenixRoninXx

Reaction score
You mean to tell me, if the Cards contain Russ and Lynch they'll win? :sarcasm_on:

Seattle's offense is built to punish the blitzes that Bowles is going to bring. Slant routes, counter runs, draws, swing passes, corner/post routes, seam routes, and anything that rolls the pocket are all concepts they use well. We already know Cromartie, Powers, and P2 are gifted in man2man coverage, and having Honey Badger and Deone playing deep adds security. With the league cracking down on defense, and Bowles making a living by blitzing exotically, Bevell would be smart to use those two as advantages to move the ball. On another note, every analysis tells Arizona to keep the Hawks under 10 points to win. Can anyone remind me when Russ and Co. have been held to single digits this year? The answer is ZERO, even with all the sluggish days we've had offensively. Seattle however, has held 4 teams under 10 with 3 of the 4 wins coming on the road. Although this article did a good job explaining how Seattle attacks, I found it too Captain Obvious for me. I believe the Cards will make some stellar plays on defense, but to be so overt about it is overkill in my opinion. Of course Arizona will play an elite game on defense, it's the only choice they have.

Go Hawks

lobohawk

Reaction score
They did it last year at the CLINK, so it's not out of the question. And when someone says the Lind isn't Palmer, remember that Palmer had four INTs and they still won.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think a stifling Cards D along with short fields due to turnovers and special teams big plays is the only formulat for a Cards win. The only thing I have any concern about with the D is the Cards like to take deep shots and you hope they don't connect on a couple of big plays. Conversely it would be great to see Earl or Kam pick one or two of those off.

I don't think Brooks is a Seahawk hater at all. He was absolutely pumping our tires going into the season. He ended up being wrong but what he was saying was with the options of Lynch up the middle, Harvin's speed outside, and WIlson's decision making, he called for the Hawks offense to be outstanding and the team to be even better than last yaer.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
The way Brooks was blowing by Britt on Sunday tells me he knows what kind of defense it will take to beat the Hawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Like Bucky, I arrived at 10 as the magic number for this game.

xXPhoenixRoninXx

Reaction score
The upset in Seattle last year was a prime example of what the Cardinals need to do on defense to beat Seattle, I agree. Another thing that doomed them was the inability to stop Mendenhall and Ellington, as they had 60 yards apiece. Russ threw a pick, and I think we lost a fumble too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Just grading the Offenses of both teams, Seattle is just way better.
The grade out for these two Defenses?, the more solid Seahawks are ahead by a pretty hefty margin also.
So IF the Cards Defense is being touted as "Elite", then what kind of label does this guy give to the Seahawks 'D'? :twisted:

Mick063

Reaction score
Their coach will take some deep shots.

Don't let Brown get behind you.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":36xkacpf said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000444983/article/arizona-cardinals-can-beat-seattle-seahawks-with-elite-defense[/urltargetblank]

Although I will agree that their defense is the reason you can't look past this week, I don't agree that they will be enough.

The article itself is a really good read though.

You do remember they beat us at home last year despite having FOUR turnovers, because their defense was THAT good.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Just remember any given Sunday. I do agree that they can beat us with their stifling defense but I don't believe they will. I see nothing wrong with his article or how he worded his topic. Now if he would have said "Re: Brooks: Cardinals Will Beat Seahawks w/Stifling Defense" then I would have a serious issue with the article.