Alert, Alert

MOCHawk

Reaction score
Does anyone else cringe when Russell audibles? I haven't done any in-depth studies, but it seems every time I hear "Alert, Alert" it means we are going to run the ball straight up the middle to Marshawn and it is going to go for -1 to +1 yards. Maybe these are plays where we are destined to lose yards if he doesn't check out of them, but it just seems to me that we do far better when we just line up and snap the ball.

Cartire

Reaction score
MOCHawk":1cccaig1 said:
Does anyone else cringe when Russell audibles? I haven't done any in-depth studies, but it seems every time I hear "Alert, Alert" it means we are going to run the ball straight up the middle to Marshawn and it is going to go for -1 to +1 yards. Maybe these are plays where we are destined to lose yards if he doesn't check out of them, but it just seems to me that we do far better when we just line up and snap the ball.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Not really. He's gotta learn. The best are the best because they adapt and audible. Seems to me his default audible is to the option, and it just so happens we run it 95% of the time. I've noticed a few that go to a quick pass. He probably spies the DBs and LBs playing deep and wants to take advantage. I mean, when you've got possibly the best RB in the NFL on your team, ain't nothing wrong with giving the man the ball and letting him go to work.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I only cringe when he holds the ball too long and then scrambles for his life.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SeaChase":nd3yil89 said:
.......or someone on the o-line misses an assignment and a rusher is on him instantly.
Both things happen too often IMO.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
SeaChase":2rdvjjii said:
What makes Russel the amazing playmaker that he is makes you cringe???

SeaChase

Reaction score
Natethegreat":11w0oazr said:
SeaChase":11w0oazr said:
What makes Russel the amazing playmaker that he is makes you cringe???

The times where he doesn't make one of his spectacular plays and takes a 8 yard sack that puts us out of field goal range...

Cartire

Reaction score
I cringe every time someone explains why they cringe.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I do cringe at the O-line, but it's hard to see who blew an assignment when there's 3 defenders in the backfield and I'm generally focused on the ball.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I cringed when I watched the physical pounding the Rams quarterback took last week at the hands of the Cards pass rushers. Dude can't scramble at all. He just stood there and got slammed over and over. It was ugly to watch. I can't tell you how glad I am to have a QB like RW who can run around and extend plays. I am not willing to fault him for some drives that didn't work out for 3 points. He's trying to make something happen and many times he does. He throws the ball away a lot already. I don't want him to do that more. I think he will get sacked some this weekend and make some of his houdini plays as well. I think he'll end up having a decent game and leading us to another win.

jblaze

Reaction score
I agree. I've seen him do this no less than 10 times in the past few weeks and it had always been a run for 1 yard. Then in the Eagles game, he did it and they actually threw out of it. I was astonished and it was completed for a first down.

I would just hope that they have move flexibility and creativity when audibling out of a set play. It is almost always a run and the defense knows that.

seedhawk

Reaction score
MOCHawk":2g3ep1kh said:

Define audible. What get's many Hawk fans confused, and frustrates us with both Bevell and Russ is, Bevell calls out a formation. Said formation has 3 base options, so basically, after he reads the defense and who is where, RW calls the base option he thinks will work the best. Ergo, every play we run is an audible. The alert deal you refer to is probably what RW calls when he is uncomfortable with all 3 base options. With Lynch as the Rb, cut the loss, take the yard or two, Lynch is capable of gaining more on every play, and move on.

OP
OP
MOCHawk

MOCHawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":279i94mj said:
What get's many Hawk fans confused, and frustrates us with both Bevell and Russ is, Bevell calls out a formation. Said formation has 3 base options, so basically, after he reads the defense and who is where, RW calls the base option he thinks will work the best. Ergo, every play we run is an audible.

Not confused, just don't believe that's how it works. What makes you think that there are 3 base options every time they step up to the line?

seedhawk

Reaction score
MOCHawk":29h7abhz said:
seedhawk":29h7abhz said:
What get's many Hawk fans confused, and frustrates us with both Bevell and Russ is, Bevell calls out a formation. Said formation has 3 base options, so basically, after he reads the defense and who is where, RW calls the base option he thinks will work the best. Ergo, every play we run is an audible.

Not confused, just don't believe that's how it works. What makes you think that there are 3 base options every time they step up to the line?

An article I read back before the start of the season. Basically a Bevell interview where he explained things.