The passes not thrown.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sometimes I am pretty hard on Russ for not pulling the trigger, but in watching all his passes in the Niner game over and over, they ran some fake blitz traps perfectly, and he saw them. They ran a corner blitz with a safety trap as well, and he saw it, threw the ball away. The two sacks he took near the end, I am convinced he could have thrown the ball, but they were not high percentage throws, so he ate the ball rather than throw incompletions or interceptions.

So in that game he kind of made plays by not trying to make plays.

Love that guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was getting frustrated by this until I focused on it in other games.

Aaron Rodgers had Jordy Nelson wide open for a touch down in Buffalo and never saw him.

During the SuperB Owl, Peyton Manning had DeMaryius Thomas wide open for a touch down and never saw him.

All QBs have this issue and I believe it has a lot to do with the read progression that the play calls for, and the flow of the defense.

byau

Reaction score
One thing about Russ, he is often willing to take a sack instead of take a chance on an INT. That's not necessarily bad when you have a defense you can rely on to get the ball back.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I watched a Sound FX (I think that was the show) of Andrew Luck last night and he was making some seriously wild throws, to the point in one game that he was picked so many times he got benched. I don't know how anyone can try to compare Luck and Wilson other than that they came out of the same draft. They are night and day in terms of how conservative they are with the ball. It's like Andrew's thinking "There's a 50/50 chance my guy will catch it - I like those odds! *fling*...Whereas Russ is doing the math and if there's not a 95% success probability then the ball isn't going out. Yes, I sometimes shout at Russell to THROW IT ALREADY, but I can't argue with his overall win/loss results.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":1dr3pcoo said:
I was getting frustrated by this until I focused on it in other games.

Aaron Rodgers had Jordy Nelson wide open for a touch down in Buffalo and never saw him.

During the SuperB Owl, Peyton Manning had DeMaryius Thomas wide open for a touch down and never saw him.

All QBs have this issue and I believe it has a lot to do with the read progression that the play calls for, and the flow of the defense.

Agreed. It's almost impossible to see all your guys, exactly when they get open, while there is a mass of large humanity moving towards you, all in under 4 seconds.

It's also difficult to see what really happens in the standard TV view. I saw a play and thought Russ had it, but in the replay, I saw that the WR popped open after he had to pull the ball down or take the sack. Sure, the guy was open, but not when Wilson was able to actually throw it. I saw the same with Kaepernick a couple of times as well. Guy looked open, but he really wasn't.

All QBs miss reads. The good ones miss less, and hit the open guys when they do. Also, like Ivotuk said, if you knock that QB out of a rythm, it's tougher to see throws that were or weren't there earlier in the game.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Just so we are clear, these were not missed reads, they were what looked like easy passes that would have possibly ended really bad. He saw the traps, or the chance to make them use timeouts, and he made the right, though not easy, choices.

getnasty

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1d4lclk9 said:
I watched a Sound FX (I think that was the show) of Andrew Luck last night and he was making some seriously wild throws, to the point in one game that he was picked so many times he got benched. I don't know how anyone can try to compare Luck and Wilson other than that they came out of the same draft. They are night and day in terms of how conservative they are with the ball. It's like Andrew's thinking "There's a 50/50 chance my guy will catch it - I like those odds! *fling*...Whereas Russ is doing the math and if there's not a 95% success probability then the ball isn't going out. Yes, I sometimes shout at Russell to THROW IT ALREADY, but I can't argue with his overall win/loss results.

I think if Luck played for the Seahawks in the same system he would be very similar to Russell. Luck is forced to take a lot more risks then Russell, thus way more yards and way more picks. I also wouldn't trade Russell for anyone, but Luck is very good.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":20sacljj said:
Just so we are clear, these were not missed reads, they were what looked like easy passes that would have possibly ended really bad. He saw the traps, or the chance to make them use timeouts, and he made the right, though not easy, choices.

And that is what makes Russell Wilson so unique, and elite. He puts his team before his ego, and his "separation is in the preparation" allows him to see those traps, likely before they even develop.

I don't think he would have learned this from any other coach than Pete Carroll, who's "It's all about the ball" mantra comes first and foremost in his philosophy.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ivotuk":2vi44gjz said:
Scottemojo":2vi44gjz said:

And that is what makes Russell Wilson so unique, and elite. He puts his team before his ego, and his "separation is in the preparation" allows him to see those traps, likely before they even develop.

I don't think he would have learned this from any other coach than Pete Carroll, who's "It's all about the ball" mantra comes first and foremost in his philosophy.
Well, he was pretty damn careful with the ball at Whisky too.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
For a defense to consistently stymie an offense it needs an offense to make mistakes. If an offense made to correct read, made the right throw, set the right protection, hit the open man,ect, each and every time ..then there would never be a defensive stop.

VaporHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2bh5b509 said:
If an offense made to correct read, made the right throw, set the right protection, hit the open man,ect, each and every time ..then there would never be a defensive stop.

Deja Vu of the San Diego game right there

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All in all Russell is smart beyond his years about the way he protects the ball. Low percentage throws are rare and a lot of his INTs have come in late 1st half Hail Mary go for it situations.

I'd rather he continue this pattern than throw more risky passes and have a higher % of picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't get mad at Russell for not seeing guys, every QB does that. But I do get mad at him for holding onto the ball too long in key spots and knocking us out of FG range.

On our own 30? Sure, hold onto it and see if you can make a play. On the other team's 35? No, throw it away and kick a FG. Too many of those this year, and in this game? Scoring is going to be at a premium, can't afford 3-4 of those drives ending in Russell getting sacked for a 10-15 yard losses.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":5gdpyrep said:
I don't get mad at Russell for not seeing guys, every QB does that. But I do get mad at him for holding onto the ball too long in key spots and knocking us out of FG range.

On our own 30? Sure, hold onto it and see if you can make a play. On the other team's 35? No, throw it away and kick a FG. Too many of those this year, and in this game? Scoring is going to be at a premium, can't afford 3-4 of those drives ending in Russell getting sacked for a 10-15 yard losses.

While it happened twice in the Philly game, I don't see this as a point of emphasis for Russ, he's usually very good about throwing it away. Colin Kaep? Not so much.

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":lekdk317 said:
Sgt. Largent":lekdk317 said:

While it happened twice in the Philly game, I don't see this as a point of emphasis for Russ, he's is usually very good about throwing it away. Colin Kaep? Not so much.

SC

Happened in the Niner game too, as well as an overthrow interception that's the reason Okung is out. Hyper critical I know, cause Russell is usually very good about not making these mistakes........just have seen more of these issues lately than I'd like.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h6r9dwe said:
StoneCold":1h6r9dwe said:
Sgt. Largent":1h6r9dwe said:

While it happened twice in the Philly game, I don't see this as a point of emphasis for Russ, he's is usually very good about throwing it away. Colin Kaep? Not so much.

SC

Happened in the Niner game too, as well as an overthrow interception that's the reason Okung is out. Hyper critical I know, cause Russell is usually very good about not making these mistakes........just have seen more of these issues lately than I'd like.

I still maintain its been Wilson's worst year as a pro. The stats may or may not prove that, but with an eyeball test it most certainly is. But, Wilson's "worst" year is still top 10, minimum, and still gives us his legs as a x-factor.

*BEEP*...*BEEP*....*BEEP*...(Anthony! looks at his phone and immediately logs-in) photo below

robin-williams-one-hour-photo-2002-105_288x288.jpg

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Teams game-plan for Wilson not taking chances. They know he'll burn them running. Our offense does not turn over the ball and our defense destroys opponents--this has given us one SB and counting. Anyone who thinks he's not an elite qb doesn't understand football. Wilson would pass more in a passing system. He just does the best he can with what he has to work with.