First Half vs. Second Half

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I was thinking about how the coaching staff's halftime adjustments affect the team's performance, so I decided to take a quick look at our outcomes since Carroll has become our HC.

First off, in our first two years, things went about as expected. We were either tied or in the lead at the half in 15 of our 34 total games in 2010 and 2011 (including playoffs). So we weren't really a good first half team. And our second half performance is unsurprising, as well. Of the 15 games where we led or were tied at the half, we won 12 and lost 3. Conversely, of the 19 games where we trailed at the half, we only came back and won in 3 of them.

However, since the start of the Wilson era, those numbers have shifted significantly. We have either been tied or held a lead at the half in 33 of our 51 total games (through last week's game against SF). And of those 33 games, we have won 28 of them; the 5 losses were to the Niners, Lions, and Dolphins in 2012 (all on the road) and to the Colts (road) and Cardinals (home) last season. Thus far this year, if we are tied or get a lead by halftime, we haven't lost.

But the fun thing is our record in the 18 games where we have trailed at the half since Wilson took over as our QB. In those games, we are 10-8. So not only do we go into halftime tied or with a lead about twice as often as we trail, but we win a little over half of those games where we have a deficit. It's pretty remarkable.

And as a side note, we recently heard a stat tossed around that mentioned that in the 51 games Russell Wilson has played, the Seahawks have had the lead at some point in every one of them. If you dig further into that stat, you'll find that in 47 of those 51 games, the Seahawks have actually had the lead at some point in the 4th quarter. The only times we haven't had a lead in the 4th are in 2012 against the Rams and Niners on the road and this season against the Rams and Chargers on the road.

pehawk

Reaction score
I love you for these types of posts.