Russell Wilson Rolling Stone Article

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
So he does film study and then types up reports to share with his receivers, running backs and tight ends...wow that's a lot of dedication and extra work. It seems like it should be someone's job, but maybe not the quarterback's. I'm impressed!

StoneCold

Reaction score
"I type up a bunch of notes for all of our receivers, tight ends and running backs, and I send it all to them through email or print them out," he says. "That's a huge thing for us coming up on the next week. Like, this week we play the Cardinals; I'll give them a whole scouting report essentially. What they've done as of late, who's playing, all that kind of stuff."

Is it normal for the QB to do this? Does anyone have any idea if the receivers like it or resent it or think it's weird? I've never heard of a QB doing this.

SC

ManBunts

Reaction score
StoneCold":2ta72s0v said:
"I type up a bunch of notes for all of our receivers, tight ends and running backs, and I send it all to them through email or print them out," he says. "That's a huge thing for us coming up on the next week. Like, this week we play the Cardinals; I'll give them a whole scouting report essentially. What they've done as of late, who's playing, all that kind of stuff."

Is it normal for the QB to do this? Does anyone have any idea if the receivers like it or resent it or think it's weird? I've never heard of a QB doing this.

SC

The good ones do, in some format or another. I've heard Manning will sit down and make his guys watch tape with him and talk them through stuff.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of this dude's work. Hella nice on twitter as well.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
He's been giving notes since he got here. People talked about it as an odd quirk of an overzealous rookie. Like the people at Children's, they probably didn't realize he would be doing that every week, every season.

Nice little write-up.

Largent80

Reaction score
It totally explains why he is single. No woman is going to put up with that much absence from a relationship.

Glad he is single in my selfish Seahawk world.

byau

Reaction score
Haven't read this yet. I actually don't read much except for what people post here and links people post here.

That was an awesome read, thank you for posting it! Love how much time he puts into preparation. It shows a lot of leadership, not only that, but it helps a lot when it comes to him asking people to do things.

I was very similar when it came to our 20 person dance team that my wife and I ran. We would maybe do five final runs of a routine in practice. Each run is about 3 minutes long. And then we'd ask them all to watch their own clips and critique themselves. At the same time, I did the same for everyone.

Each clip I reviewed for one person took about 5 to 6 minutes. We had 20 people, and I tried to do at least 2 to 3 clip reviews per person which meant a good 4 hours of review after each practice (and we practiced 3x a week or more).

Resulting in.... at one point during team meetings, one of our dance members said "The reason I have to do what Ben says is because he is more than doing it too" which didn't hit me until he said it.

In other words: Russell, by preparing so much for his receivers (and doing it in the right way, to try to help his receivers out and make them successful), will make his receivers want to work for him even more.

I LOVE OUR QB!

Rocket

Reaction score
Typing up (or writing up) thoughts on a subject is a method of reinforcing the learning process... similar to talking over a problem with someone else and you come up with the solution in mid-sentence... I think it's because you use an additional part of the brain.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Seem to remember reading where Manning has gotten to the point where he has people dissect parts of game film for him. Guess they cut the film into the pieces he's looking for, so he can break out what he wants to view and show WRs and RBs. Kind of a mini QB staff.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Next thing he'll have one of these isolation chambers at the VMAC.

Saveiomageeeee

kearly

Reaction score
Holy shit, Kenneth Aurthur writing for Rolling Stone. Grats to the man.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ManBunts":18tmu4dv said:
StoneCold":18tmu4dv said:

SC

The good ones do, in some format or another. I've heard Manning will sit down and make his guys watch tape with him and talk them through stuff.
Kind of makes me wonder if Peyton, after all his preparations for some really tough games, doesn't feel a bit overwhelmed by the Seahawks smothering Defense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":1q37j7o5 said:
Seem to remember reading where Manning has gotten to the point where he has people dissect parts of game film for him. Guess they cut the film into the pieces he's looking for, so he can break out what he wants to view and show WRs and RBs. Kind of a mini QB staff.
That's all well & good, because if you can dissect Defensive formations, and have reviewed their tendencies, that gives you an edge.
The only problem with trying to plan for the Seahawks 'D' though, is that you can't really prepare for the combination of speed, tenacity, and physicality.
Seems like every time that the Bronco's have played the Seahawks as of late, another player steps up his game, and all that preparation unravels. :stirthepot:
That's the problem that Bruce Arians is having to deal with, he prepares for one or two tendencies, and is dished up a whole new plate of changes on game day.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":2zfyqo2o said:
Holy shit, Kenneth Aurthur writing for Rolling Stone. Grats to the man.

And interviewing Russell, by the looks of things.

He's been doing at least an article a week for them since August. Probably my favorite FG writer so I'm happy for him.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3miorsh5 said:
It seems like it should be someone's job, but maybe not the quarterback's. I'm impressed!

Not if you want them to get on the same page with Russell's thought process. The Coaches can cover the X's and O's and general situations, but what Russell is doing is priceless. We always talk about that ideal same-page synergy on offense. What Russ is doing is proactive and speeds the process. We are so GOT dayum lucky to have him. :th2thumbs: