Arians and Carroll see it differently

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Short excerpt from an AP writer news article titled "Seahawks thrive keeping same weekly approach"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/seahawks-t ... --nfl.html

[While Seattle tries to keep important games on the same level as every other matchup, Arizona coach Bruce Arians said Wednesday he wants his players to embrace the scope of Sunday's matchup.

''You don't get to play for the damn thing very often so it's not like Seattle's played for it for a hundred damn years. I'm sure they're embracing it also,'' Arians said. ''So you fight your (rear) off all year to play for this game and sure you embrace it but you don't change how you prepare for it, it's still the same process.'']

I don't know Arians that well, but I hear he's somewhat of a manipulator of cat and mouse between head coaches.
This comment just sounds like he's pissed. Of course I don't know the context, but...

Are we getting in his head?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Haven't decided if I like him or not. He sounds like a real jack wagon sometimes, but I kind of like his attitude. UNLESS they win, and he talks smack, then he sucks :lol:

ivotuk

Reaction score
If Arians puts too much emphasis on this game, say playing Patrick Peterson as a punt returner, he could suffer some injuries that would completely destroy their playoff chances.

Especially when you have older players like Calais Campbell and Larry Foote, if they overextend, it's "bye Felicia!' To the IR.

pehawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":116c275n said:
If Arians puts too much emphasis on this game, say playing Patrick Peterson as a punt returner, he could suffer some injuries that would completely destroy their playoff chances.

Especially when you have older players like Calais Campbell and Larry Foote, if they overextend, it's "bye Felicia!' To the IR.

He also runs the fear of really, really dealing with a team a little shaken by a loss. When, in reality, the game doesn't matter too terribly much, they're in the playoffs. Don't want to crack the psyche.

OP
OP
HomerJHawk

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
We've been in this boat many, many times over the last 3-4 years. Our team knows how to prepare mentally. I think whoever over-prepares of over-hypes will be the loser. And that ain't.us.

'Separation in the preparation' couldn't be more appropriate.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The Saints did all sorts of extra stuff to prepare themselves for last year's divisional playoff game.
Didn't work out to well for them.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This is why Carroll treats every week like a championship week. It's a cliche that many fans don't buy into, but it's true.. and it's weeks like this where it really pays off.

The Seahawks treat every opponent the same.. from the Raiders to the Cardinals.

hawk35fan

Reaction score
Arians is going to have them wound so tight, they will probably bobble the opening snap. He really should have been downplaying the importance of this game. Catching a team like Seattle by surprise and a well executed game plan works better than all this cheap talk.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12174zt3 said:
Haven't decided if I like him or not. He sounds like a real jack wagon sometimes, but I kind of like his attitude. UNLESS they win, and he talks smack, then he sucks :lol:

Your initial thought was right.

He's a Jackwagon.

Even his smug "its not like Seattle's been there a hundred times" backhanded swipe is douchey.

The hat. The attitude. The whining. The "superbowl gameplanning" for Denver.

Jackwagon.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This game matters so much for both teams I have no problems with Arians admitting it. #1 seed and HFA vs. wildcard berth, no bye and road games in the playoffs? AZ has zero chance of doing anything in the playoffs as a wildcard but any #1 seed can make some noise with the free entry into the second round and then home games.

getnasty

Reaction score
I could definitely punch Arians in the face, something about that head and hat that screams "punch me". I did like it when he trolled Fischer last week though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Arians has a different approach. And is desperate not to play on the road in the playoffs. A month ago he would not have chosen an approach to a game like this.

In 2013, Seattle didn't use all it's CBA allotted padded practices. Pete thought the team was too beat up for them. He says they probably won't use them all this year either.

Arizona just used their last allotted padded practice, with Arians saying he saved it just for this game, some players weren't that happy about it, but Arians wanted to go back to a college gameplan of facing option teams. The Cards desperately do not want to play road games. Note to Pe, Arians knows the read option is the changeup teams can't deal with, he is wanting to make sure that formation isn't the difference in this game. Or his press conference was just a message to Pete and Bevell to try and get them out of that formation.

PP is hollering Super Bowl or bust, the local media is hyping this like a Super Bowl run is hinged on this game, and it has that same feel like Payton and the Saints last year. The Cards are going to make a target out of Wilson early just like the Saints made a target out of Harvin.

Make no mistake, the Lindley will sling it talk is BS. They will have a few shots in the plan for Lindley, but their goal is to run well from big sets on first down. He does not want Lindley thinking about first down markers on second and third.

Our coaching staff will see things they have not seen from Bowles. I bet the first RO formation we see brings a real unique blitz, one designed to get after both Russ and Lynch.

I see the safety in Pete's every game is a championship game approach, but Arians honest approach is kinda fun too, even though his team will be an empty balloon next week. Next week doesn't really matter for the Cards.

chris98251

Reaction score
Arians has a Jerry Glanville type approach, just not as animated from what I have seen on the sidelines, unlike the Ryans so far his talk has been backed up on the field of play. Smoke and mirrors and high aggression on defense is their game at the moment.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":52rka13n said:
Arians has a different approach. And is desperate not to play on the road in the playoffs. A month ago he would not have chosen an approach to a game like this.

In 2013, Seattle didn't use all it's CBA allotted padded practices. Pete thought the team was too beat up for them. He says they probably won't use them all this year either.

Arizona just used their last allotted padded practice, with Arians saying he saved it just for this game, some players weren't that happy about it, but Arians wanted to go back to a college gameplan of facing option teams. The Cards desperately do not want to play road games. Note to Pe, Arians knows the read option is the changeup teams can't deal with, he is wanting to make sure that formation isn't the difference in this game. Or his press conference was just a message to Pete and Bevell to try and get them out of that formation.

PP is hollering Super Bowl or bust, the local media is hyping this like a Super Bowl run is hinged on this game, and it has that same feel like Payton and the Saints last year. The Cards are going to make a target out of Wilson early just like the Saints made a target out of Harvin.

Make no mistake, the Lindley will sling it talk is BS. They will have a few shots in the plan for Lindley, but their goal is to run well from big sets on first down. He does not want Lindley thinking about first down markers on second and third.

Our coaching staff will see things they have not seen from Bowles. I bet the first RO formation we see brings a real unique blitz, one designed to get after both Russ and Lynch.

I see the safety in Pete's every game is a championship game approach, but Arians honest approach is kinda fun too, even though his team will be an empty balloon next week. Next week doesn't really matter for the Cards.

Seahawks HAVE to use the RO. Really have to now with the OL injuries.

Boycie

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hlyqjbq said:

It looks like he's ready to take the baton from Harbaugh as our most hated rival coach.

endzorn

Reaction score
I see Arians approach a little differently than most. He's behind the 8 Ball here with a third string QB playing against our defense. If they win this ONE game they have home field advantage and his players will have a couple weeks to get healthy and get their minds right. If they lose they're likely in as a five seed anyway. Why not recognize the importance and get your players to an emotional high for the game?

Solid coaching move if you ask me.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":2363i6zo said:
Short excerpt from an AP writer news article titled "Seahawks thrive keeping same weekly approach"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/seahawks-t ... --nfl.html

[While Seattle tries to keep important games on the same level as every other matchup, Arizona coach Bruce Arians said Wednesday he wants his players to embrace the scope of Sunday's matchup.

''You don't get to play for the damn thing very often so it's not like Seattle's played for it for a hundred damn years. I'm sure they're embracing it also,'' Arians said. ''So you fight your (rear) off all year to play for this game and sure you embrace it but you don't change how you prepare for it, it's still the same process.'']

I don't know Arians that well, but I hear he's somewhat of a manipulator of cat and mouse between head coaches.
This comment just sounds like he's pissed. Of course I don't know the context, but...

Are we getting in his head?

Maybe it's just me, but the way I'm reading that, it sounds like they are trying to insinuate that Pete downplays the big games. I think that the opposite is acutally the truth. We don't play the big games as if they are just a regular game, rather they play EVERY game as if it's a championship game. With that mentality every week, then whether you are playing an O fer team or an undefeated team, you go in with the same mentality.