Has Russell improved from last season?

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm curious what some of our more educated members think about this.

We all know that he's run the ball more and for a knucklehead like me, I can't speak to how his game has changed other than the fact that I don't see him completing (or trying) as many deep balls. Feels like he's had more "off" days this year from an accuracy standpoint as well. Strictly from a [passing] numbers standpoint, Russ isn't on pace to improve on his 2012 or 2013 seasons outside of interception total/ratio.

Was just hoping one or two of you could indulge us and share some thoughts on how Russ has looked this year and what you might like to see moving forward.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Wilson is on pace to throw 49 passes over 20 yards and 7 passes over 40 yards. In 2013 he had 49/10 and in 2012 42/11. He is also on pace to have 7 runs over 20 yards and another 2 over 40 yards. This compares to 4/0 from 2013 and 2/0 from 2012,

Soooo this year Wilson is on pace to be responsible for 56 plays over 20 yards and another 9 over 40. Compared to 2013 he had a combined 53 plays over 20 yards and 10 over 40 yards. In 2012 his combined was 44 plays over 20 yards and another 11 plays over 40.

Now I cant find the stats to see how far those passes were thrown before being caught but Wilson in one way or another is responsible for more big plays this year then his first two years.

One interesting stat that I just found is Wilson is on pace to fumble 10 times this year which is about avg for him. The cool part is we have recovered all of his fumbles this year. Last year we lost 5 of his fumbles and the year before we lost another 3

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":33lnsovk said:
Wilson is on pace to throw 49 passes over 20 yards and 7 passes over 40 yards. In 2013 he had 49/10 and in 2012 42/11. He is also on pace to have 7 runs over 20 yards and another 2 over 40 yards. This compares to 4/0 from 2013 and 2/0 from 2012,

Soooo this year Wilson is on pace to be responsible for 56 plays over 20 yards and another 9 over 40. Compared to 2013 he had a combined 53 plays over 20 yards and 10 over 40 yards. In 2012 his combined was 44 plays over 20 yards and another 11 plays over 40.

Now I cant find the stats to see how far those passes were thrown before being caught but Wilson in one way or another is responsible for more big plays this year then his first two years.

One interesting stat that I just found is Wilson is on pace to fumble 10 times this year which is about avg for him. The cool part is we have recovered all of his fumbles this year. Last year we lost 5 of his fumbles and the year before we lost another 3
That is good stuff.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Also as a quick note, we're moving the ball better this year than we have in any of Wilson's previous years.

Right now, the Hawks are 11th in the league in both scoring and yardage on offense.

In 2013, the Hawks were 8th in scoring but 17th in yards.

In 2012, the Hawks were 9th in scoring, but 17th in yards.

Now, I'm sure that part of that is due to the defense having a drop in turnovers this year, so the Hawks aren't working with as many short fields, but I think it should indicate that we're not as bad on offense as many people here think.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I think it also should be stated that many who watch him say if it was not for how good RW control the fire sale that happens with our O-line that the Hawks would not even function. I think many just do not see how much this team relies on Russell and Marshawn to make good out of bad.

So even if the statistics do not show it I think he has progressed and hopefull next year thing with the O-line, TE's and WR's improve and we should see a nice jump in the eye test for many.

Hey as long as they keep winning who cares right :thirishdrinkers:

aawolf

Reaction score
It also seems we are getting a lot more penalties this year to put us in third and long situations....its never easy to complete those. If we cut down on the penalties, which have been the biggest problem IMO with this offense, we would see a lot more production from RW and the offense.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Rustle Willow no good passeer, much better ranner than kameron newton butt stll no good as da mighty god ANDREW LUCK.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
All this while playing a generally tougher schedule, including the difficult defenses of our usual in-division matchups.

I'd say we're doing fine. Just look what happens when we play a "softer" defense like NY or Philadelphia.

themunn

Reaction score
I think he's improved by virtue that his performance has appeared to remain steady (very slight drop in stats) despite playing tougher defenses with a poorer WR group than last year.

Cad

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":4nz1boo6 said:
I think it also should be stated that many who watch him say if it was not for how good RW control the fire sale that happens with our O-line that the Hawks would not even function. I think many just do not see how much this team relies on Russell and Marshawn to make good out of bad.

So even if the statistics do not show it I think he has progressed and hopefull next year thing with the O-line, TE's and WR's improve and we should see a nice jump in the eye test for many.

Precisely. His O-Line is a porous sieve. Harvin became a cancer that had to be cut out in the middle of the season, and the offense had to be rebuilt on the fly. The tight end position has been a revolving door due to the injury bug.

I don't know what you want more out of Russell.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I don't care what the statistics say,
Nobody with the dedication and work ethic, that RW has, remains static.
No doubt in my mind that he has improved.
Most journeys involve any occasional step backwards but that don't change the destination.
I believe RW will reach his.
IMHO yes he has improved, even if, at first glance we don't see it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":1bvw10ud said:

FWIW given that the question is if Wilson has improved from last season, these stats (at least) point to the answer being "no." (last year == 53 +20 and 10 +40, this year == on pace for 56 +20, and 9 +40).

It doesn't mean he hasn't improved, but it's not showing up in these stats.

Bigbadhawk":1bvw10ud said:

% of fumbles recovered is, according to all of the analytics sites, the flukiest stat possible. It's the first place people look to see if units will maintain their performance across seasons. While not losing any of 10 fumbles is definitely good for this year, it's random chance.

Just for my own take, I haven't seen the improvement this year from Wilson that I was expecting. I don't think it would show up in stats even if he did improve (the loss of Tate just matters too much, IMO), but in the areas I was expecting to see improvement, I haven't seen them. I think his very impressive year running the ball has masked some of his lack of development, TBH. I don't think he's done developing yet and I think he came in at a higher level than the vast, vast majority of QBs, but he hasn't developed nearly as much as I thought he would, and on balance hasn't improved in the areas I was expecting improvement in from last season. If anything, looking at stas, I think his consistency across his three seasons has been pretty crazy, and impressive in its own right.

Rob12

Reaction score
Laloosh":t2c9ozxk said:
I'm curious what some of our more educated members think about this.

We all know that he's run the ball more and for a knucklehead like me, I can't speak to how his game has changed other than the fact that I don't see him completing (or trying) as many deep balls. Feels like he's had more "off" days this year from an accuracy standpoint as well. Strictly from a [passing] numbers standpoint, Russ isn't on pace to improve on his 2012 or 2013 seasons outside of interception total/ratio.

Was just hoping one or two of you could indulge us and share some thoughts on how Russ has looked this year and what you might like to see moving forward.

Looking at Russell's numbers in a vacuum misses the sheer brilliance of his play this season.

I think 2014 is his most impressive body of work thus far in his career. When you look at the fact that four UFDA receivers, two rookies, one fifth round pick tight end, a UDFA tight end, and a guy picked up off the street are his main targets, it sheds light. I don't see another QB in the league that is working with less in the passing game. Add in the rushing yards, and keeping dead plays alive as he runs for his life and directs receivers to the ball, and it's impressive. I won't get into details on the line because that's like talking about politics on here.

Context is important here. Russ has absolutely improved. Name me one QB in the league who has done even close to the same thing with the same amount or less.

He's elite in every sense of the word.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":2qhmlelg said:

Good point. Mike Didka brought this up last week so you aren't the only one taking notice.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Russell is set to have less TD's, a lower QBR and a lower passer rating than last year.

BUT this year his WR group is worse, his O-line is worse and his best TE has been out since week 4..........so in reality the answer IMO is hard to tell.

Kinda a wishy washy answer I know, but it's hard to gauge improvement when Russell's had so much change on the offensive side of the ball, and 90% of it is for the worse.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dgy1lm2y said:
Russell is set to have less TD's, a lower QBR and a lower passer rating than last year.

BUT this year his WR group is worse, his O-line is worse and his best TE has been out since week 4..........so in reality the answer IMO is hard to tell.

Kinda a wishy washy answer I know, but it's hard to gauge improvement when Russell's had so much change on the offensive side of the ball, and 90% of it is for the worse.

Good points. I think it is mixed, I know this year unlike past years, I've screamed at the TV how terrible Russell Wilson was playing.

There were a number of games this year, where he was just plain bad. What I mean by this is there's been a number of plays (not just 1) in a single that were terrible plays-- Where he would overthrow a wide open WR, A few come to mind immediately- Everyone forgets the 1st half of the Rams game (he was bad) he missed a huge play, against Carolina had a sure TD pass and he threw it short.

Whereas in year's past he was more fearless, in letting the ball fly down the seams or on intermediate passes. This year he seemed for large stretches hesitant to pull the trigger. I think he's improved over the last month or so, and I was really happy to see us throw more timing stuff the last 2 games. AS PC said they are working on that.

I think it partly stems from the 4th QTR of last year. I believe that PC was so convinced that the defense was locked in that he went ultra-conservative on offense the last 4 games of 2013. That carried over into the playoffs. I think that ultra-conservative approach has carried over to the start of this year. Where he was too concerned with risking a turnover instead of cutting it loose and trusting his WR/TE, ect.

I was really hoping he'd keep his career passer rating over 100, but this year will end up short of that pulling his career figure into the 99's. Hopefully he can have 2 good games to finish it off.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Can we please agree to not use QBR as a relevant stat in ANY Seahawks discussion? For the love of God......

kearly

Reaction score
He has shown real progress on throws made under two seconds, but also had had a brutal problem with erratic accuracy this year which has essentially tanked his numbers. It's a problem that even Wilson can't explain, but I do think it is probably something that can be worked around by the coaching staff.