What is this teams window?

Bprez3

Reaction score
In lieu of the recent extensions and those in the recent past (Kam, Sherman, ET, Pete). We have a team that is not going anywhere from where I sit for the next 4yrs at least. How many Championship Banners are we going to see raised to the rafters? I think we have a realistic shot at looking at 2 more.

sutz

Reaction score
Who needs a window? We're bustin' down walls here.

:twisted:

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Who knows, maybe another 4-5 years. Maybe longer... depends on how long Pete stays and how good the defense stays. This year is definitely another golden opportunity to win it all if we get the #1 seed.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
This type of thing is pretty difficult to accurately forecast. The NFL just changes too quickly to forecast multiple years down the road. Happily, we can say that we're still in the middle of a championship window, and that its closure isn't currently in sight.

Cartire

Reaction score
The real question is,

Are we gonna have enough room in our rafters for all the banners?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Too many young players and too many moving parts coming up to really think about a window, IMO. The "window" could close after this season if Lynch isn't replaced, Wilson doesn't develop and they don't shore up the O-Line and TE spot, or it could stay open for a very long time if all those things do happen.

If anything the Hawks are sending the message that they're planning to try to keep on winning how they have been winning; with great defense. I think it's the right strategy, but the length of the window is more dependent on what they have yet to do than what they've already done (e.g. with these two re-signings about 75% of the roster is still scheduled for FA in the next 18 months). Save for Tate they've done a good job re-signing their important pieces so far IMO (Bennett, Chancellor, Thomas, and Sherman), although TBF, as far as re-signings go, I do admittedly question how important of a piece Wright is (in particular) and Avril too. I think Avril is definitely worth his new contract to somebody (and maybe even Wright too), but if they're worth those contracts to the Hawks is a bit more of a question for me.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":13ksvom7 said:
This type of thing is pretty difficult to accurately forecast. The NFL just changes too quickly to forecast multiple years down the road. Happily, we can say that we're still in the middle of a championship window, and that its closure isn't currently in sight.
We're still at the beginning of the window--all our core players are young.

Hawks46

Reaction score
As long as the nucleus of this defense stays together, we'll always be in the conversation. SF is dwindling down a bit; we don't know if they will be better or worse next year (if Harbaugh is gone, I'd say worse). AZ is still going to improve, IMO. This division is going to be best set up with 2 mediocre teams that you can't turn your back on, and 2 really good teams fighting for the division. It makes both teams tougher, but not having 3 elite teams makes it a bit easier and has less of a margin of error.

As long as we stay healthy, I can see us being good for 4 or 5 years. This assumes Wilson stays with the team, and can keep improving a bit. We obviously don't need to spend a ton of high draft picks and money on OL and WRs, so I can see this keep going until Pete leaves.

OP
OP
B

Bprez3

Reaction score
I have more than visions of sugarplums dancing in my head this holiday season

ManBunts

Reaction score
We're a running team. Our defense is getting locked up but our biggest offensive weapon is an unknown. I think if we don't answer that question, then we may not have long, because our passing game relies on a line that can't stay healhy. And if we don't stop Russell from taking 5 sacks a game, we'll need a new QB sooner than later too. Then boom, back to square one.

...sorry, that sounds really negative. We need a RB (after Lynch, I really hope he retires here). We need to protect Russell. Let's do that and I give us another 4 championship banners and 2 Lombardi's in the next 6 years

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Long enough to run Bruce Arians, Jeff Bisher and Hairball out of the nfc west before its closed.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Patriots have established a winning culture.....why can't Seattle dominate for the next 5 to 7 years....?? Just draft well and the next 4 to 5 years at a minimum should see Seattle in playoff contention at a minimum....once you are in the playoffs a lot, it's then a crapshoot more than actual talent....we may have seasons where we are a wildcard and win it all and could have an off game in the playoffs and lose.

Bottom line is these signees and our drafting has created strengths on the roster that can allow gaps to be filled elsewhere....it's when you have 7 draft picks and 15 holes where we had been for years prior to Holmgren, that things got us into FA signees, that took up money and never really filled the holes on the roster....

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The other two I definitely believe will be gone before our window is shut but Arians I don't know, he seems to have something seriously longterm brewing down there in the desert.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1tj4t735 said:
Patriots have established a winning culture.....why can't Seattle dominate for the next 5 to 7 years....?? Just draft well and the next 4 to 5 years at a minimum should see Seattle in playoff contention at a minimum....once you are in the playoffs a lot, it's then a crapshoot more than actual talent....we may have seasons where we are a wildcard and win it all and could have an off game in the playoffs and lose.

Bottom line is these signees and our drafting has created strengths on the roster that can allow gaps to be filled elsewhere....it's when you have 7 draft picks and 15 holes where we had been for years prior to Holmgren, that things got us into FA signees, that took up money and never really filled the holes on the roster....

I'm not that high on the "Patriot's winning culture."

If we had to list the reasons the Patriots have been successful for so long, #1 might be playing in a god awful division 12 years running. How many years in a row would the Hawks be in the playoffs if they had a 4-5 game head start on the rest of the league for 10 years straight?

Belichick is a great coach, and Brady is a great QB, but other than that they've relied on a terrible division to get them into the playoffs every year..........at which time they lose.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
ManBunts":rtka2t4u said:
We're a running team. Our defense is getting locked up but our biggest offensive weapon is an unknown. I think if we don't answer that question, then we may not have long, because our passing game relies on a line that can't stay healhy. And if we don't stop Russell from taking 5 sacks a game, we'll need a new QB sooner than later too. Then boom, back to square one.

We've got a perhaps historically great D in place.

Our window depends on drafting the right pieces to keep the offense afloat. I think the best analogy might be the mid-2000's stealers (I feel....dirty). Probably another 5-6 years before the pieces start breaking down. Although, given Russell's above and beyond play his first 3 years, the window could be open a little longer.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
With all due respect to Russell Wilson's scrambling and Beast's ability to cut back, Our window will open and close with the oline.