Is Russ giving us a discount?

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
I know this may be out in left field, but...

Everyone is assuming that the cap will go way up this year without any solid evidence supporting the assumption. I also believe that it will shoot way up as well. However, front offices can't make cap-related decisions based on assumptions, which makes me wonder why we've signed Avril and Wright to extensions already without waiting to take care of Wilson and Wagner first in the offseason.

Now, realistically speaking, there's a good chance that the front office has already talked numbers behind closed doors with both Wilson and Wagner and have deals in place that are simply waiting to legally be signed. That said, maybe Wilson isn't trying to shoot for the stars? The dude has shown since we brought him in that he is humble, and above all, a team player. So maybe he's thinking like Tom Brady and taking less for the sake of keeping the team together? It wouldn't shock me from him, and could be one of the reasons he has moved on from his previous agent. Perhaps he was all for it, but his agent didn't see it that way.

Again, I could be way off here, but thoughts?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
No, he is not.

The cap will increase by around $7 million this coming year and is slated to increase similarly in the following years (from most reports).

As for Wilson and Wagner, I don't think the front office is even allowed to discuss numbers with them at all yet. Both guys are going to get their market value, and it's going to force the team to move on from some role players.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Russell should get paid as much as he can without thinking twice about it. The Brady situation is way different since he has already cashed in with a big contract in the past; Russell has been playing at literally 2-3% of market value during his rookie deal.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The cap increase is not an assumption. The cap is based on revenues, which are contractually due to increase, thus increasing the cap. The exact number isn't known or released until the off season, but it's going to go up quite a bit. This is a fact of mathematics.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
kidhawk":1wdwich3 said:
The cap increase is not an assumption. The cap is based on revenues, which are contractually due to increase, thus increasing the cap. The exact number isn't known or released until the off season, but it's going to go up quite a bit. This is a fact of mathematics.

I still think he can take less than what the typical "overpay" is for players in the NFL. He has at least 10 endorsement deals that pay him plenty. I'm not saying that justifies taking a home team discount, but I do think it's the type of player Russell is. If he wants to win multiple super bowls he will realize taking a lower amount will help the team in the long run, financially. He is a safe QB, he doesn't take unnecessary hits, I think this will allow him to take less.

I think whatever discount he would have originally taken will be adjusted with the cap.

Just a thought, no proof to this just an observation.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Not no but hell no. Let go of this dream, please. He will take as much as he can get, as he should. He has already spent almost 3 years as the most underpaid player in the NFL. There will be no hometown discount. He will take a max deal, maybe the biggest deal ever, and he should.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I mean, the topic of Russell giving a discount is usually one that belongs to those who are resentful of how much athletes make. They think it's wrong for athletes to take a massive payday, so they see it as virtuous for athletes to take less (under some sort of thinking like "he doesn't NEED that much"), and then they see Russell as a virtuous dude so they make the connection.

Frankly I don't even want the team to try to get away with giving him a discount. Pay the man what's right, and continue to establish ourselves as the gold standard franchise of the NFL that takes care of its players.

Rob12

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3lgllksj said:
I can see it, sort of. Let's just say his Microsoft endorsement deal might jump up a bit too.

I've heard this said before, but does Paul Allen still have anything at all to do with Microsoft?

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2bwjd7e2 said:
Not no but hell no. Let go of this dream, please. He will take as much as he can get, as he should. He has already spent almost 3 years as the most underpaid player in the NFL. There will be no hometown discount. He will take a max deal, maybe the biggest deal ever, and he should.

Exactly!

No discounts given.

There is no guarantee he will be able to play 5 years from now, this is his best chance to get what he can while he can.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The NFLPA allows a little "home town discount," but it ain't much.......usually about 10%.

So when a player like Bennett or Tate says I'd love to stay for a little less, that's what they're talking about. Because even if Russell was Mother Theresa and wanted to take A LOT less to stay in Seattle, the player's union would go bananas as any new big contract affects other players.

So would he take 20M a year instead of 21 or 22? Maybe. But it ain't gonna be 15M like some people are wishfully thinking.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
DTexHawk":2z37wdq7 said:
Missing_Clink":2z37wdq7 said:

Exactly!

No discounts given.

There is no guarantee he will be able to play 5 years from now, this is his best chance to get what he can while he can.

I don't think he'll take a discount, per se, but I just don't see him pushing to get biggest-contract-ever type megadeal. Like $20 mil/year vs. $25 mil/year. Maybe with a lot of guaranteed money. Dying to see the deets on this one when it gets done. .NET will take a week to digest it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lcddd44 said:
The NFLPA allows a little "home town discount," but it ain't much.......usually about 10%.

So when a player like Bennett or Tate says I'd love to stay for a little less, that's what they're talking about. Because even if Russell was Mother Theresa and wanted to take A LOT less to stay in Seattle, the player's union would go bananas as any new big contract affects other players.

So would he take 20M a year instead of 21 or 22? Maybe. But it ain't gonna be 15M like some people are wishfully thinking.
I could see this because I expect around 22M and he probably can get 25M if he wanted to really push it. So maybe he takes 20M but more guaranteed money which would be a win for both sides.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
jdemps":3ktx7fap said:
DTexHawk":3ktx7fap said:
Missing_Clink":3ktx7fap said:

Exactly!

No discounts given.

I don't think he'll take a discount, per se, but I just don't see him pushing to get biggest-contract-ever type megadeal. Like $20 mil/year vs. $25 mil/year. Maybe with a lot of guaranteed money. Dying to see the deets on this one when it gets done. .NET will take a week to digest it.

By the nature of player contracts, each new one is "biggest ever. "

I expect that the absolute floor for Wilson's deal is going to be whatever the last real franchise QB got. No less.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1ymmoyqn said:
jdemps":1ymmoyqn said:
DTexHawk":1ymmoyqn said:
Missing_Clink":1ymmoyqn said:

Exactly!

No discounts given.

By the nature of player contracts, each new one is "biggest ever. "

I expect that the absolute floor for Wilson's deal is going to be whatever the last real franchise QB got. No less.

You mean Kaepernick... :stirthepot: :les: :34853_doh: :179422: :0190l: :177692: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

kf3339

Reaction score
I would think when Wilson's contract is negotiated they would take into account his numbers as it relates to other QB's in the league. Using that metric some might believe he has not yet proven to be that player who can command $20-25M per year at this point. So to say that he will get an average $15-17M per year deal for say 5 years is not that out of the question.

Perhaps with one or hopefully two SB wins by this spring that number will increase, but I don't know how much that factors into those talks. Also, I can easily see Wilson realizing that there are very few other teams that are built in a way that gets him even more SB rings than right here with the Hawks.

So I think many will be surprised at just how reasonable his deal will be when all is said and done.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Won't give a discount but I would put it past him to structure a deal with more guaranteed up front money that makes the cap hits easier. He's smart and if we give him a chunk of cash up front he can invest, hell make more money in the long run.

maybe that's just not realistic but nothing would surprise me.

endzorn

Reaction score
If he doesn't take a discount it just proves he doesn't care about winning. He only cares about money, endorsements and getting guys cut when he doesn't like them. Selfish prick.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
endzorn":3u4ap98t said:
If he doesn't take a discount it just proves he doesn't care about winning. He only cares about money, endorsements and getting guys cut when he doesn't like them. Selfish prick.
You forgot this... :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_off: .... :p