Bobby Wagner: One of NFL's most underappeciated

lsheldon

Reaction score
Found this and didn't see it listed. Thought it was timely given the two recent signings and talk about who should and shouldn't have been priority.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/a-l ... ar-BBgZrdq

UNDERAPPRECIATED:

BOBBY WAGNER: With the linebacker back from a right foot injury, the Seahawks are 4-0 and allowing 6.75 points per game. Asked about his five-game absence hurting his cause for awards or recognition, Wagner replied: ''That's fine. Who has been the best `backer on the field when he's been on the field?''

I also found it appropriate that Johnny Football made the most over rated list.....

OVERBLOWN:

JOHNNY FOOTBALL: OK, it's only one game, but Johnny Manziel's NFL debut as a starting quarterback for the Browns was a doozy: 80 yards passing, two interceptions, three sacks, and zero points. Certainly not the stuff that justifies his hype. But he deserves time, of course.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Not sure how he is under-appreciated, as his return to health is nearly universally cited as the primary reason for the Hawks' D returning to top form.

OP
OP
lsheldon

lsheldon

Reaction score
I took it to mean current contract and amount of media attention / hype he has been getting given his on field performance. His situation pay wise is very similar to what they were saying about RW last year, star performance with out the huge price tag. It's pretty clear hes a cheap bargain at 1.1 Million base + bonuses. Of course I might be off the mark, but that's what i was looking at.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2h573dxx said:
Not sure how he is under-appreciated, as his return to health is nearly universally cited as the primary reason for the Hawks' D returning to top form.
Probably was phrased that way because of what Pete said about him (basically underestimating just how good he is and important to the overall defense) when he came back. Other then that I have see few if any fans underestimate him or his value.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3oqblzhx said:
People still think Kuechly is god compared to Wagner

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
On Wagner,,,it seems the media always starts off by saying that BW is the most underrated player in the league. That he is the catalyst to our defense that started or big run. The irony is the more and more this is repeated,,,,by default, he is no longer underrated.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
-The Glove-":12fvzgpf said:
Missing_Clink":12fvzgpf said:
Regardless, IMO, the only true Mike backer in the league that is on Wagner's level is Bowman, whom I hope can play again. Bowman may play for a hated rival, but he and Wagner have playing some of the best do all MLB/ILB play I've seen in a very long time. They can take on OL, get to the sideline with the quickness, run with WRs, rush the passer, or just about anything you can ask of a football player.

NINEster

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1cui08rq said:
-The Glove-":1cui08rq said:
Missing_Clink":1cui08rq said:
Regardless, IMO, the only true Mike backer in the league that is on Wagner's level is Bowman, whom I hope can play again. Bowman may play for a hated rival, but he and Wagner have playing some of the best do all MLB/ILB play I've seen in a very long time. They can take on OL, get to the sideline with the quickness, run with WRs, rush the passer, or just about anything you can ask of a football player.

Next year you will see Willis doing all of those things too.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Only the uninformed under appreciate Bobby Wagner. I suspect he'll be a Hawk after his rookie deal expires in 2016

Ruminator

Reaction score
Count Frank Gore as a rather candid Wagner appreciator. Quite the complimentary opinion he had of him last week, which underscores rather emphatically Wagner's importance to our defense.

He used a four-letter word that starts with F: FAST

HawkGANG

Reaction score
NINEster":14vcrlgi said:
vin.couve12":14vcrlgi said:
-The Glove-":14vcrlgi said:
Missing_Clink":14vcrlgi said:

I hate to say it cause I'm actually a fan of Willis but I think his best days are behind him.

253hawk

Reaction score
Man, who the hell did this? :(

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bwagz54/status/546337395482718208[/tweet]

enamel

Reaction score
It seems like on a national level the storyline about this historic defense starts with Sherman because of his combination of skill and charisma. Then they talk Earl and Kam in broader stories about the LOB. Analysts who watch film-- or actually watch Hawks games-- start to sing the praises of Wagner, Mebane and Black Santa. The growing storyline about Wagner being underrated appears to be a way of bringing Bobby up to that second tier of exposure with Earl and Kam.

Think about the Ravens D of a decade ago. The coverage started with Ray Lewis, and people who broke down play touted Ed Reed. Guys like Bart Scott and Adalius Thomas were brought along with their own "underrated" storyline.

vonstout

Reaction score
The fact that our punter will make more than BW next year shows how vastly underpaid he is. Signing him is almost as important as signing RW.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
NINEster":1v6tp1va said:
vin.couve12":1v6tp1va said:
-The Glove-":1v6tp1va said:
Missing_Clink":1v6tp1va said:

Willis is a great football player, but where he falls short of Wagner and Bowman is taking on OL in the A gaps, winning, and making the tackle (at the POA). Willis is more of a retreat or go around player at the POA, much like Kuechly. Don't get me wrong though, I think Willis is a better player than Kuechly (next year's age not withstanding), but at the same time there's a reason why Bowman plays the strong side ILB spot for the 9ers and Willis plays on the weak side ILB spot.

Wagner and Bowman are a cut above because they are so physical. There are quite a few MLBs who can run and cover and all that, but an extreme few (aforementioned couple really) who are also really successful in dealing with the trash in the front seven. Truly complete, no weakness players.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
253hawk":31b6e8wv said:
Man, who the hell did this? :(

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bwagz54/status/546337395482718208[/tweet]
One of the Cardinals did it, Bobby.

[youtube]HTb-qfawCjo[/youtube]

Hawks46

Reaction score
NINEster":2kvyb671 said:
vin.couve12":2kvyb671 said:
-The Glove-":2kvyb671 said:
Missing_Clink":2kvyb671 said:

Bowman is younger and a step quicker. That makes him better than Willis at this point (if he comes back 100% from injury, which I hope he does). Willis is still a stud, but you can see him starting to slow down a bit.

Wagner is still faster/quicker than both and very bit as good as Bowman at getting off of blocks. I don't know much about Bowman's coverage skills, but I'd say the two players are roughly the same level (which is a huge compliment to Bobby).

Reaneypark

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3ji6xtzo said:
-The Glove-":3ji6xtzo said:
Missing_Clink":3ji6xtzo said:

I hope Bowman comes back too, he is a guy you have to respect no matter the uniform.

Rat

Reaction score
I think the main reason he's "underappreciated" is that there are so many great players on this team, that some are bound to be overshadowed, especially when one of those greats never shuts up. Keuchly (who is legitimately great) stands out more since the casual fan doesn't know anyone else on the Panthers defense, aside from maybe Greg Hardy.