Alvin Bailey

OhlHawkFan

Reaction score
I know this may not be a popular sentiment, but I think we were better with Bailey at LT than Okung. Okung has been great for us, when healthy, but I was at the Niner game last week and when he went out, we began to run and protect Russell better. He also does not get penalties like Okung has this year. Last night, Campbell was a non factor, and Bailey was great in the running game. I know Okung has been hurt this year, and that may have had to do something with his play, but I think Bailey has been playing really well.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I don't know if he spells the end of Okung, but I'd be really surprised if he didn't ensure Carp will be hitting free agency.

That was a really solid performance from Bailey. Cable and Bevell need to be given a lot of credit for the way we played today; a perfect gameplan to counter the Cards defensive capabilities and ensure our line weren't too often exposed as they have been in the past. It helped that RW was on one tonight too.

Cable nor Bevell did their hopes of a HC gig any harm last night, against the best coached team in football no less. Credit where it's due.

themunn

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1jobncz9 said:
I don't know if he spells the end of Okung, but I'd be really surprised if he didn't ensure Carp will be hitting free agency.

That was a really solid performance from Bailey. Cable and Bevell need to be given a lot of credit for the way we played today; a perfect gameplan to counter the Cards defensive capabilities and ensure our line weren't too often exposed as they have been in the past. It helped that RW was on one tonight too.

Cable nor Bevell did their hopes of a HC gig any harm last night, against the best coached team in football no less. Credit where it's due.

Second best - Seattle are still the best coached team in the league.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if he replaces Okung or Carpenter. Either way he has saved the organization significant cap space. For now.

getnasty

Reaction score
He played well, but i need to see how he fairs against speed guys on a consistent basis. He'll get a good chance next week when Robert Quinn comes to town.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hopefully, he can back it up with more good play. Tough to do week in and week out.

TXHawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":74uu52h4 said:
It doesn't matter if he replaces Okung or Carpenter. Either way he has saved the organization significant cap space. For now.

Okung's cap hit drops from $11.2m to a much more manageable $7.2m next year so I doubt he's going anywhere. Carp is a UFA so if either is a cap casualty it will most likely be him.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
TXHawk":1xvsaywv said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1xvsaywv said:

Okung's cap hit drops from $11.2m to a much more manageable $7.2m next year so I doubt he's going anywhere. Carp is a UFA so if either is a cap casualty it will most likely be him.

Yeah, that's what I said. It doesn't matter which position he takes. Either way it is going to save the organization millions in cap space.

kearly

Reaction score
Wasn't Bailey going up against Okafor a lot in this one? I was a big fan of Okafor before the 2013 draft, but I he's a polished pass rusher, not a burner. Put Bailey up against Von Miller and it would be a problem. I just can't imagine a 350 pound dude stifling an elite speed rusher.

I think Bailey definitely has a future here, but he needs to drop at least 30 pounds.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I believe Campbell was lined up against Carpenter for most, if not all, of the game. Carp held him in check. Bailey's assignment was on whichever OLB or edge blitzer was on his side. Probably Okafor for most of the time.

I also think Bailey has great potential and has given us tremendous value relative to his UDFA status. However, I'm not sure speed rushers like Robert Quinn are going to be a great match-up for him. I like Okung way, way more in that scenario, but that's assuming we're getting the healthy version.

kidhawk

Reaction score
OhlHawkFan":3bmz6exu said:
I know this may not be a popular sentiment, but I think we were better with Bailey at LT than Okung. Okung has been great for us, when healthy, but I was at the Niner game last week and when he went out, we began to run and protect Russell better. He also does not get penalties like Okung has this year. Last night, Campbell was a non factor, and Bailey was great in the running game. I know Okung has been hurt this year, and that may have had to do something with his play, but I think Bailey has been playing really well.

I said this in another thread....Bailey has more penalties per start than Okung. It's all perception. Okungs only real problem is staying healthy but when he's healthy enough to be on the field he is the better option than Bailey.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1obwzbyq said:
Wasn't Bailey going up against Okafor a lot in this one? I was a big fan of Okafor before the 2013 draft, but I he's a polished pass rusher, not a burner. Put Bailey up against Von Miller and it would be a problem. I just can't imagine a 350 pound dude stifling an elite speed rusher.

I think Bailey definitely has a future here, but he needs to drop at least 30 pounds.

Pete said pretty much that same thing on KIRO today. Said that Bailey doesn't need to be at 350. Said it joiking around and laughing, but it came across as they would probably like to see him a bit leaner.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
kearly":361edp6q said:

Carroll agreed with you on his radio show today, hinted they have had several discussions with Bailey about dropping weight. I quote "he doesn't have to be 350 you know.....but he keeps eating his way up there." This may be why he hedges his compliments so much toward him.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I always thought we played better as a team with Bailey in the line-up , regardless of who he was subbing in for . I wouldn't mind if he replaced Okung and his contract.

This line played excellent out of the gate vs Arizona and really made some nice holes for Turbin and Michael. It was surprising to see . I thought it would be a close game because of there defense and that they were home. I was wrong. :thirishdrinkers:

nolachawks

Reaction score
I think Okung should still be our starting left tackle I was listening to Clayton this past weekend and he was saying that Okung is in the top 8 of left tackles and that he has only given up (I'm going from memory here) 2 sacks all year. I tend to think Clayton knows what he is talking about. Bailey played great last night and it's nice to know we have him if need be but if Okung is healthy then I want him in there.

Latest posts