Al Michaels

Northhawk

Reaction score
I usually groan when people criticize the media over how they cover the Hawks. They're just doing their job by playing to the majority of the audience which are in the east or bigger markets. In fact, I made a comment earlier today to that effect earlier today.

BUT I was just rewatching the game on NFL network and Al Michaels seemed, at best, disinterested or, at worst, pissed any time we made a play. On Lynch and Wilsons' big runs, he sounded like he was calling numbers out at a bingo game.

At first, I just ignored it but it kept happening on every big play. Don't expect him to be Raible but he could sound excited when we make a play. Not like Arizona is America's team or anything. They're a small market team too.

What's up with him? Is it us or is he ready for the retirement home?

Rant over.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Northhawk":1zqeaj25 said:
I usually groan when people criticize the media over how they cover the Hawks. They're just doing their job by playing to the majority of the audience which are in the east or bigger markets. In fact, I made a comment earlier today to that effect earlier today.

BUT I was just rewatching the game on NFL network and Al Michaels seemed, at best, disinterested or, at worst, pissed any time we made a play. On Lynch and Wilsons' big runs, he sounded like he was calling numbers out at a bingo game.

At first, I just ignored it but it kept happening on every big play. Don't expect him to be Raible but he could sound excited when we make a play. Not like Arizona is America's team or anything. They're a small market team too.

What's up with him? Is it us or is he ready for the retirement home?

Rant over.

Not sure Phoenix is a "small market" but they certainly arent a media darling area so I guess that has some merit.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't get that sense. I really enjoy Al Michaels. Partially because he commentates with seemingly a knowing wink to the audience at all times. I didn't think Michaels and Collinsworth were disinterested. I just think watching the Seahawks dismantle a team on NBC has become routine for them. It's almost comical to them at this point.

I feel like Joe Buck is the one with clenched teeth anytime he has to compliment Seattle. It's hard for me to listen to him.

But everyone has their own preferences. I mean, I'm one of the few who loves Gus Johnson's fanboy-ish enthusiasm.

SirTed

Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree. In fact, I think he hold this team, and Pete Carroll in high regard.

I think Michaels is one of the best, if not the best in the biz when it comes to play by play (for football, and his ability to call multiple sports - an ability rarer than you may think). He really knows the game. I know based on interviews that he LOVES doing Seahawk games because it's a west coast game and he's from LA and cherishes the few times a year he doesn't have to travel cross country.

pehawk

Reaction score
Al Michaels is a Cardinals fan. It's slipped out on a few broadcasts last year. Put yourself in his shoes; your calling a game where the Seahawks are obliterated at home.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth are so far above every other broadcast team that it's unreal.

I'm sure if you put all of the commentary under a microscope it wasn't perfect, but I wouldn't trade those two out for any other broadcasting option.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yeah, it's not just you. Al Michaels seemed bored and disappointed on the BeastQuake 2 call. What saved it was Collinsworth's astonished giggle-gasp. That contrasted so sharply with Michaels that it actually made the broadcast call a gem.

SirTed

Reaction score
pehawk":mjwfa91k said:
Al Michaels is a Cardinals fan. It's slipped out on a few broadcasts last year. Put yourself in his shoes; your calling a game where the Seahawks are obliterated at home.

When you say it slipped out, what do you mean?

Did he say it, or imply it? I'm curious. I don't remember that at all.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Since Al called my biggest memory as a kid, The Miracle On Ice, I will always have nothing but love for the man. I really don't listen to him much when he is broadcasting, it is the tone of his voice that takes me back to happy memory with my Dad. He could read a cereal box, and it would be ok with me.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I don't really have anything against Al. That said, it's always more fun to listen to Steve Raible over any televised Seahawks clip.

blue 22

Reaction score
Yeah, you are not the only one... He botched beastmodes run. Go back and listen to it again. No energy or enthusiasm. It was a legendary run for goodness sake! Fake it at least. Collinsworth was happy for us though.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Analogy. Al Michaels is the bread, and Collinsworth is the PB and Jelly. He may sound uninterested or bored, but he is actually setting the table for his broadcast partner. Together, I personally think they are the best pair on the air.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
I agree that Al had a pretty monotone call of that run and could have put a little more into it as it pretty much iced the game for us. Maybe he rooting for the Cardinals?

One my biggest recent memories of one of his calls was the Romo fumble.

BTW...Super Bowl will be called by Al and Chris.

(Just noticed I am now part of the 12 hundred post club! :th2thumbs:)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I thought Michaels seemed notably dispirited yesterday. He's called previous Seahawks games with a lot more enthusiasm

pehawk

Reaction score
SirTed":lxpd7uaw said:
pehawk":lxpd7uaw said:

When you say it slipped out, what do you mean?

Did he say it, or imply it? I'm curious. I don't remember that at all.

It was last year when the Cards beat Seattle, Collinsworth was saying something to the effect of "someone in this booth was pretty happy about the game in Seattle today". It was obvious.

His lack of enthusiasm is understandable.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I thought it was a well called game as per with this crew.

Broadcasters of this standard don't have 'favorites'. They're too professional.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Al Michaels has had to endure a lot of blowouts this year. Almost every Sunday Night football game has been one-sided with a few exceptions. He probably wasn't too excited to be watching another one unfold in front of his eyes. Every time the Seahawks had a big play, it just meant it would be another blowout he had to commentate on.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I like these guys, especially now that Collinsworth doesn't use the adjective "remarkable" every 2 mins. I also like the #2 FOX team, Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston and Tony Siragusa a lot too. Can't stand Buck and not fond of Aikman. Jim Gray is OK but Simms is way to QB centric. Love John Lynch too. BIG fan of Vern Lundquist and always have been. Greg Gumble and Ian Eagle are OK.

Just ramblin' off the top of my head.

253hawk

Reaction score
Al's lost some magic but Collinsworth is like a slightly watered-down Jon Gruden. He just loves football, he doesn't care who is playing or what the score is, he can always find something worth talking about because he's so passionate about the game. And he forever hates the 49ers for costing him 2 Super Bowls by a combined 9 points.

Cartire

Reaction score
He did seem disinterested on a bunch of calls. But I didnt see it like he was upset. It was more like:

"Oh look, there he goes again, what did you expect..."

Watch the 50 yard scamper by RW and listen to him. Its actually pretty funny. No excitement, almost just a, "well, here we go again..."