Another attribute of the Hawks' return to dominance

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The departure of Harvin and the return of Kam/Wagner has already been covered, but something I also noticed yesterday I think also helps explain why our team has gotten so much better and should get some attention:

Our 2013 draft class has started to come through for us. Jordan Hill has been massive, Simon has done a pretty good job in coverage, we're seeing Willson start to get 'it' (I hope), and even Michael is getting some playing time and showing his ability. One can also throw in 2014 with Richardson and Britt (and I wish we could have seen more of Cassius Marsh), but I want to specifically commend last year's draft class because it was looking a bit lacking even at the first half of this year. Not so much right now. Seattle under Carroll has been a youth movement, and we're seeing the benefits of that philosophy right now - thus I think it bears mentioning. Discuss.

Edit: typo

sutz

Reaction score
It certainly bodes well for the future. I think JS & PC have a philosophy in which, much like in college, you just plan to replace 20-25% of the roster every year, and that you can get some pretty good players in the later draft rounds that can be coached up in a year or two into starters and keep that rotation going. Smart use of the IR list and the Practice Squad also helps keep valuable assets on hand, even if they aren't ready to make the 53 their first year.

They also seem to have an uncanny knack to get the team to peak at the right time. I remember in Oct, when we were at 3-3, some fans were writing off the season and already starting the latest version of "suck for Luck" talk. Now, with the playoffs looming, we're all of a sudden one of the best teams in the league again. I'm not sure how they do it, but their philosophy of "win in the fourth quarter" seems to not just apply to the individual games, but shows up on the schedule, too.

pehawk

Reaction score
Injuries at odd positions have forced their hand a bit. But your point remains and is valid.

Giblien

Reaction score
Holy smokes...I totally forgot we have Cassius Marsh. I can't wait to see him get healthy again. Our D-Line has REALLY stepped up. If you would have told me that the D-Line would have been this dominant without Big Red, Clem and Mebane 5 months ago...I wouldn't have believed it.

Mick063

Reaction score
They seem to follow the college pattern. Of course there are always exceptions.

"Redshirt" rookies for the first part of the season, if not all of their rookie year. Give second year players meaningful playing time. Unleash them in year three.

It makes for a nice rotation that has nice synergy with the four year rookle contract. The staff can either let the player in front of them move on, going with the better bargain, or extend the player in front if his play warrants more money while letting the developmental player move on. They essentially get choices based on performance value relative to cap hit.

I have also noticed that many of the rookies are not acclimated to the physical nature of the NFL. Many seem to get nicked early because their bodies aren't right for the league yet.

Hawks46

Reaction score
We as fans don't get to see all that goes on behind the scenes, like practices. The young guys can be showing in practice, but this is still a deep team and it's hard to get reps. Also, getting stuck behind starters and even 2nd string guys, you're going to get less reps in practice.

In theory, this makes many of the younger guys take a bit longer to develop. Guys like Hill have been injured a couple of times, so he's also had to deal with those lack of reps (same goes for Simon). Richardson got stuck behind Harvin. I think we're going to see Richardson get better, and hopefully Norwood as well.

It's a good problem to have.

sutz

Reaction score
Mick063":3nbuse9b said:
They seem to follow the college pattern. Of course there are always exceptions.

"Redshirt" rookies for the first part of the season, if not all of their rookie year. Give second year players meaningful playing time. Unleash them in year three.

It makes for a nice rotation that has nice synergy with the four year rookle contract. The staff can either let the player in front of them move on, going with the better bargain, or extend the player in front if his play warrants more money while letting the developmental player move on. They essentially get choices based on performance value relative to cap hit.

I have also noticed that many of the rookies are not acclimated to the physical nature of the NFL. Many seem to get nicked early because their bodies aren't right for the league yet.
Yeah. IMO too many fans want to get "four years production" out of that 4 year rookie contract. Of course, that's not how it works in almost all cases. In college, it is relatively rare for freshmen to start, especially on major programs. Since we (hopefully) draft in the bottom third of the round every year, it is better to think long term, like you described, than to worry that some rookie has to contribute from day one.

kearly

Reaction score
I always liked the 2013 draft even as people bashed it last year. The team still isn't using Michael to his talents (I think he has elite ability as a dumpoff receiver), and he still flashes anyway. Hill is coming on as a good role player. Simon was the rare draft day Mel Kiper steal that proved to be an actual steal in hindsight. Luke Willson has far outplayed his draft position. Bailey was part of the 2013 group as well.

My one critique is that they whiffed in the very late rounds. Rounds 6-7 were a waste in 2013, and rounds 5-7 were a waste in 2014. UDFA was barely better, with Bailey being the gem of the last two years. Coyle is a preseason hero I think, and I like Gilliam, but he's a long term long shot.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I really like what our guys are doing. Regarding the draft classes, I think part of the problem is we want instant success from every drafted player and the reality is that just doesn't happen. But we are seeing the reality of the potential that Pete and john saw when they actually made the decision to draft them.

the fact is, we now have 5 players from that draft playing significant time and playing well from that draft class. Hill finally looks like that penetrating 3-tech we've been longing for these last few years, Simon plays an aggressive style that, once he learns more about how to cover without getting flagged every play will serve this team well. Bailey even looked good this week against some darned good pass rushers. Willson flashed some great play this week and my hope is he can build on it for the rest of the season and into next year.

Maybe Pete and John understand this draft thingy better than us armchair experts after all??

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great thread. Valid points Sarlacc. You could include guys from the 2012 draft in this as well. Bruce Irvin, Jeremy Lane, JR Sweezy, and Robert Turbin have contributed. Overall that draft has turned out to be very good.