Most Dangerous playoff matchups for the Hawks?

blazen2392

Reaction score
The way I see it these are the teams in ranking order. (these are all hypothetical scenarios, as i know we still have business with the rams, but either way we are still in the playoffs)

1) Cowboys

Say what you will about them but this team is superbowl ready. This is not some knee jerk reaction because they beat us earlier in the season, or some knee jerk reaction because they blew out a colts team who don't need a win to secure their spot in their playoffs, also with injuries on both sides of the ball. I also know that we were a different team then, and played a lot of the game with wagner, but you also have to realize that Dallas is not the same team as well. They seem to be peaking at the right time, with the BEST running game and the BEST Offensive Line in the NFL. They have a great passing game, with a pro bowl QB playing the best football of his career and an admissible defense. They have all the makings of a Legit superbowl contender/winner. As far as playoffs are concerned they are most potent match up to the hawks in quite possibly the whole NFL. Not to mention these guys make their money on the road(undefeated so far). I would rather not see them in the playoffs because they could quite possibly win this game again.

2) Detroit lions

Teams that play great defensive lines have historically been our weaknesses. As great as our win was against the cards, Linely's abominable play gave our offense a great opportunity to wear down their defense and put up massive yards on them. I don't consider that win to be a great offensive day, and a horrible offensive day by the cards, that led to a horrible defensive day for them as well. This game has a decent running game, but a terrible offense. IMO they are one of those teams that could go off if Stanford showed up to play every once in a while. They have proven they have the personnel (Tate + Megatron) to make enough plays to keep them in the game. Tate is used to playing against our guys so i think he could be a matchup problem.

3) Cardinals

Don't read too far into this win. While a great win, they will be back with Stanton. While he did perform terribly up in seattle, his team performed just as bad by not making plays on the ball. Fitzgerald was also missing from that game. They where a few plays in from making it a ball game. Give Arians some of his personnel back and allow him to learn form his former mistakes, and we can have a ball game on our hands.

4) Greenbay

Too many flaws on this team for me to call them a Superbowl caliber team. A playoff caliber team, but in no way built to win road playoff games/ win the superbowl. They have been riding Aaron Rodgers so far and have played extremely subpar on the road. The team play reflects the play of the quarterback, and that is not a good recipe. Not to mention the NFC west is their ultimate Kryptonite, and you have two teams from there making it to the playoffs. That #1 seed was their shield because no other human beings on earth are acclimated to play any kind of sport in that frozen tundra they call lambeau filed. I will give them a top ten running back with an above average running game. Their terrible defensive play will not get them far in the playoffs and they became significantly less of a threat when you take lambeau away from them. Take away their passing game with the LOB like we have before, and this will be a blowout again.

5) Not even worth mentioning as threat. I would be more worried of a comet falling out of the sky and taking out our team first before writing a paragraph on any team getting that spot in the NFC south.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Playing at home, the only team that stands in our way, imo, is Dallas. Not only because they proved they can win in Seattle, but because Romo is playing like I've never seen him play before. Couple that with a world class WR (and TE) and an Oline that can both pass pro and run block...I hate to admit it, but they are a formidable opponent. Our O will need to put up points to win that match-up, imo. Am I worried? Not very much. No. But of the teams we'd face, I'd call them the closest to pulling an upset.

Erebus

Reaction score
blazen2392":q9rs0zyn said:
2) Detroit lions

Teams that play great defensive lines have historically been our weaknesses. As great as our win was against the cards, Linely's abominable play gave our offense a great opportunity to wear down their defense and put up massive yards on them. I don't consider that win to be a great offensive day, and a horrible offensive day by the cards, that led to a horrible defensive day for them as well. This game has a decent running game, but a terrible offense. IMO they are one of those teams that could go off if Stanford showed up to play every once in a while. They have proven they have the personnel (Tate + Megatron) to make enough plays to keep them in the game. Tate is used to playing against our guys so i think he could be a matchup problem.

This is a very confusing paragraph. You're talking too much about the Cardinals and it should be about the Lions. It's not clear where the transition is. Who has a decent running game? Certainly not the Lions.

kearly

Reaction score
1: Cowboys. The 2nd hottest team in the NFC, believe they can beat Seattle because they already have.
2: Lions. Great defense, the 'facing the unknown' factor.
3: Packers. Not much hope, honestly. Seattle would have to play a terrible game or the Packers would have to play a perfect game.
4: Carolina. They might keep it close for three quarters.
5: Atlanta. Any given Sunday.
6: Arizona. If Baghdad Bob or Marvin49 were Cardinals fans, even they'd be saying "we're boned."

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
1. Seahawks vs. themselves
2. Seahawks vs. themselves
3. Seahawks vs. themselves
4. Seahawks vs. themselves
5. Seahawks vs. themselves
6. Seahawks vs. themselves

Not to sound like a total homer.. but seriously.. I feel like the only thing stopping this team in January would be their own mental errors. The dumb dead ball penalties.. the blown protections.. etc.

If they play a clean game? Forget about it.

And LOL at those saying the Lions. Fun fact: Matt Stafford has never won a game on the road against a team with a winning record. Drew Stanton is a scarier draw than fat cheeks

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the 'THEIR ONLY ENEMY IS THEMSELVES" argument is great and all but we're talking about a game of actual match-ups.

hardest to easiest:

1. Dallas
2. Detroit
3. Green Bay
4. Arizona + NFC South Winner

I'm assuming we are playing at home since the odds favor us winning and doing so.

Arizona/NFC south winner are not beating Seattle in Seattle.

Green Bay despite the emergence of Lacy relies too much on Rodgers and much like Manning, you rattle him when he feels like the game is on just his shoulders he will fold. Their defense isn't very good, especially against Seattle. They aren't built to defend a combo like Wilson/Lynch.

Detroit plays good defense and some offensive weapons to contend with. Golden Tate's insight and chip on his shoulder when he's playing so well would have extra motivation. Their dirty players would go after Wilson and sweep the leg cobra kai style.

Dallas will have the confidence of already having won here, whatever circumstances have changed you have to respect it. They are the one team playing at a high level at every spot. They may not be a defensive force but they are playing well enough to win games.

Gametime

Reaction score
Dallas is "scary" in that they are playing well but let's not get crazy that they can win in Seattle just because they did.

1) Playoffs = different energy, different pressure. Period. This team THRIVES in the big moment. When was the last BIG game for the Cowboys?

2) We are healthier in the right spots: We were a little sloppy and dinged up on defense that game. Kam could barely move, Maxwell was IIRC playing for the first time? There was very little chemistry and flow to the defense. Now? Please.

3) This team LOVES the games that people think they can be beat. Just look at this murder's row schedule and how people thought they'd be lucky to go 4-2. How'd that work out?

4) It's Seattle, winning here once already statistically makes it near impossible to repeat that feat. It's math. Just math.

5) They were a 3rd and 20 tip toe catch from losing that game. It's not like they blew us out of the water.

I think HFA puts us in the driver's seat against anyone and it's scary to think we've played BETTER on the road. It's something special. The Arizona game (especially on offense) cemented in my mind that this team is primed and putting in the work to be special in the historic sense.

I am not a full blown homer who doesn't think we'll ever lose but I just don't see it. Romo has never shown he can win in the moment. Thanksgiving this year? cough cough. Primetime games and playoff type moments fuel this team like nothing else and they are remarkably consistent in that regard.

I'd take the Hawks the way they are playing right now over anyone. If Unger get's healthy and we have the TE threat we have now? No one really, truly, worries me.

That's my take.

Hawks46

Reaction score
1. Dallas. Not just because they've won up here this year, but because they've won everywhere. They're undefeated on the road, and when a team goes 8-0 on the road (maybe 7-0 now, but going to WASH), I'm going to give the credit until they lose. They're also really hot right now, as are we.

2a. Detroit. I was going to put GB first, but I think Detroit's defense will keep things close, and close can get you a win. Their DL can probably do the best of everyone left against the run, and they can match up well outside with Megatron and Tate.

2b. GB. I think we match up well against them, but they're still a damned good team. They don't seem that great on the road. I think they're a better team than Detroit by far, but we match up better against them.

4. Arizona. Same thing, defense keeps you in games. I don't think we do that to them again with our offense, but I honestly think we have their number this year.

5. NFC South winner. I don't care who it is, if we're at home, we're going to face roll them. Carolina's defense matches up well against us, but their offense is putrid; easily the worst left of the playoff contenders. Atlanta can score a lot of points, but their defense is terrible, they can't stop the run (which will negate their offense) and they're soft all over. Might be slightly nervous about them at their house, but not ours.

I honestly want to see Dallas. I think we would thunderstomp them at their house, but I really want to match up with the best remaining team, which is Dallas. Also, now that our offense is rolling, I'd like to see them get revenge on Dallas' defense.

SupersonicSeahawkz

Reaction score
Remember in the Dallas game. Our secondary was decimated. Lane was out, Simon was out. Maxwell got hurt in the second quarter. It forced Sherman to play one on one with dez Bryant. Burley was our #2, who was a colt during our preseason and our nickel was shead who really plays safety. We had to hide our secondary with kam hobbled. If we would have stopped the 3rd and 20 conversion, we would of got the punt and ran out the clock. Now we can cover the backside and our front 7 on D can focus on the run and getting after Romo.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner also missed most of the Dallas game as that was the game he got hurt. The offense was a mess in that that was the tipping point of the Harvin controversy.

original poster

Reaction score
Provided we beat the Rams who are we most likely to play in the first playoff game?

tooshort

Reaction score
original poster":3v3fofk1 said:
Provided we beat the Rams who are we most likely to play in the first playoff game?

If "beating the Rams" is the only criteria then every team except for Dallas is a possible matchup in the divisional round.

In fact, the only possible way the Hawks face Dallas in their first game is if both teams lose, Arizona wins and Greenbay ties Detroit.

So count what is probably the toughest matchup for us in the NFC basically off the table until the championship game!! :thirishdrinkers:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Dallas, Detroit, and Green Bay are the three biggest threats in that order.

Arizona has way too many issues on offense. Even with Stanton back, they are going to have trouble scoring points against the better defenses. I imagine they would be an underdog at Carolina, for example.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
original poster":3jc6wqxe said:

if Cards get stanton back by their first playoff game, i would say cardinals. If not falcons. Even with stanton i might actually be inclined to say falcons

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Of all the teams in the playoffs, Pittsburgh's offense is the one that matches up best.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
blazen2392":scdzbf9y said:
original poster":scdzbf9y said:

if Cards get stanton back by their first playoff game, i would say cardinals. If not falcons. Even with stanton i might actually be inclined to say falcons

I really think Atlanta will beat Arizona. Either way it's going to be nice to come off a bye and face the winner of that one while the Cowboys and GB duke it out in Lambeau (if everything goes as I'm predicting.)

seahawksny

Reaction score
If I was a betting man, the schedule will look like this

1) hawks
2) GB
3) DAllas
4) Atlanta
5) Detroit
6) AZ

Az goes to dallas and loses
detroit goes to atlanta and loses

We beat Atlanta
Dallas not only beats but DESTROYS Green Bay in Lambeau

Unfortunately play cowboys again and this one will worry me.

tooshort

Reaction score
seahawksny":309iv6j3 said:

1) hawks
2) GB
3) DAllas
4) Atlanta
5) Detroit
6) AZ

We beat Atlanta

The only way AZ is the 6th seed is if they lose and GB v DET ends in a tie.

In which case the seeding would be

(DAL win vs WAS)
1.DAL
2.SEA
3.DET
4.CAR/ATL
5.GB
6.AZ

(DAL loss)
1.SEA
2.DET
3.DAL
4.ATL/CAR
5.GB
6.AZ

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
tooshort":14rhzt5y said:
seahawksny":14rhzt5y said:

1) hawks
2) GB
3) DAllas
4) Atlanta
5) Detroit
6) AZ

We beat Atlanta

The only way AZ is the 6th seed is if they lose and GB v DET ends in a tie.

In which case the seeding would be

(DAL win vs WAS)
1.DAL
2.SEA
3.DET
4.CAR/ATL
5.GB
6.AZ

(DAL loss)
1.SEA
2.DET
3.DAL
4.ATL/CAR
5.GB
6.AZ
Arizona is currently the 6th seed, GB holds the tiebreaker over them

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
blazen2392":3thjcr7a said:
The way I see it these are the teams in ranking order. (these are all hypothetical scenarios, as i know we still have business with the rams, but either way we are still in the playoffs)

1) Cowboys

Say what you will about them but this team is superbowl ready. This is not some knee jerk reaction because they beat us earlier in the season, or some knee jerk reaction because they blew out a colts team who don't need a win to secure their spot in their playoffs, also with injuries on both sides of the ball. I also know that we were a different team then, and played a lot of the game with wagner, but you also have to realize that Dallas is not the same team as well. They seem to be peaking at the right time, with the BEST running game and the BEST Offensive Line in the NFL. They have a great passing game, with a pro bowl QB playing the best football of his career and an admissible defense. They have all the makings of a Legit superbowl contender/winner. As far as playoffs are concerned they are most potent match up to the hawks in quite possibly the whole NFL. Not to mention these guys make their money on the road(undefeated so far). I would rather not see them in the playoffs because they could quite possibly win this game again.

I agree the Cowboys are the hottest team outside of Seattle right now but I disagree on them having the best running game. That is very clearly the Hawks - who average 30 more yards per game and are almost a full yard per carry better
on average.

I see the earlier game as a bit of a blessing in disguise, kind of like the Cards loss last year. If Dallas comes to the Clink again for a playoff game I expect a vastly different effort from our team who will want to remedy that earlier loss. If Dallas comes into our house and beats us twice you just tip your cap to them.

No team is better on both sides of the ball than us. Detroit has a great D but is a mess on offense (17th in DVOA and falling), Dallas is poor on D (26th by DVOA) and Green Bay can't match up with physical teams on offense and their Defense is horrible.

BTW - anyone notice that our offense is now #6 in total DVOA?