Are we this generations Patriots?

seabowl

Reaction score
Before you go off saying WTF am I talking about hear me out. What I mean is as long as we have a guy like Russ to play the Brady role and be able to win with perceived average offensive weapons then we will be able compete at a high level for a long time? The system Pete has put in place (both offensive and defensive) reminds me a little of what the Pats have been so successful at doing for the past 12-15 years. Plug in a K Williams, Britt, Lane, Willson etc.... Don't get me wrong the players know their roles and do a great job but as good as they are the system works as long as they know their role. Thoughts?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's 3 good seasons and one trophy, asking "are we" and then posting a paragraph about how we 'could' be pretty much answers your own question. Once we are, there won't be any need to ask.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking we are this generations Seattle Seahawks. 'Nuff said.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'll go one further and suggest that in a few years from now we may be hard pressed to name any team in NFL history that measures up to the current Seahawks. Certainly there could be obstacles that prevent that from happening, but our owner and front office are the dream team of NFL franchise management, so there's always the chance.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I hope to accomplish what NE did, but there is no question in my mind that we are currently superior to those Patriot teams. A huge compliment to Bill and Brady, actually. Didn't the Pats win all 3 of theirs by field goals? We'd be embarrassed with a stat such as that. (j/k).

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
If there is another NFL franchise that I have mad props for it's NE. I am not comparing the two teams because they are completely different. I am talking about the entire franchise, from the owner, GM, coaching staff, franchise QB, etc. I believe that NE is the model for success in the cap era and we have just begun to put our foot into the fray. If we keep it up, we will be the new model and I believe we are heading that way. This is a very exciting and awesome time to be a Seahawk fan. God, I love this franchise and am so glad I didn't jump ship in the 90's.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Seahawks are like a four time lottery winner.

1) Hiring Pete Carroll at the right time
2) Drafting Russell Wilson
3) Drafting Earl Thomas

Carroll returned to the NFL RIGHT when we needed a change from the horrible Mora era. Look at how many teams cycle through NFL coaches like clockwork, we had one failure of a coach immediately after having a solid run with Holmgren.

Drafting Russell Wilson meant that nobody else had to recognize his off the charts abilities. Not to mention the fact that he snuck into an incredible strong QB class at the time, had it been another year he might have been a 1st round pick.

Let's not forget how incredibly lucky we were to have Denver agree to GIFT us Earl Thomas in that 2009 trade. McDaniels could not have been the bigger sucker on the planet to do such a trade.

This doesn't even consider everything else that has happened to our organization like drafting Sherman and Chancellor and every other key part late, or trading for Lynch.

Honestly I can tell everyone we'll probably never have it better as Seahawk fans than it is right now, a run like this is once in a generation. To get the right QB to lead Seattle exactly when our defense becomes historically great and with top top running back like Lynch.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I just hope we don't fall to the same fate as the early Belichick Patriots: losing their defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This owner/GM/Coach and players have the chance to be even better if they can keep all the main pieces together.

Besides, the Patriots haven't won a SB in 10 years now, so are they really this generations anything other than an above average team in a long standing putrid division?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":234mtsbh said:
This owner/GM/Coach and players have the chance to be even better if they can keep all the main pieces together.

Besides, the Patriots haven't won a SB in 10 years now, so are they really this generations anything other than an above average team in a long standing putrid division?
How many losing seasons have the Pats had in the last ten years? ZERO. Their worst seasons in the last 10 years are both 10-6 in 2005 and 2009. Combine that with their 3/4 SB run, it's the standard for Cap era success. Just because they haven't won a SB in 10 years doesn't mean they aren't the most successful franchise in the NFL. They simply are. I think we are on our way to that level too. Don't believe me? Look at their history and playoff appearances. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/

irocdave

Reaction score
Cant diminish what the Pats have done in the salary cap era. I think people need to really understand how hard it is for an NFL team to be relevant for that long, even in a crap division. As I said in another post, enjoy the hell out of what's happening right now, it will end a lot quicker than you think possible. I say that knowing this teams window is open for a couple more years, and if RW has the tenacity to keep doing what he is doing and progressing each year and has some play makers around him he can be the catalyst to sustained relevance just like Brady. Even when the defense comes back to earth which it will.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1j5jqgue said:
Actually, I was thinking we are this generations Seattle Seahawks. 'Nuff said.
My exact feelings. This team is its own breed and I don't enjoy the comparisons.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
irocdave":11blhrqo said:
Cant diminish what the Pats have done in the salary cap era. I think people need to really understand how hard it is for an NFL team to be relevant for that long, even in a crap division. As I said in another post, enjoy the hell out of what's happening right now, it will end a lot quicker than you think possible. I say that knowing this teams window is open for a couple more years, and if RW has the tenacity to keep doing what he is doing and progressing each year and has some play makers around him he can be the catalyst to sustained relevance just like Brady. Even when the defense comes back to earth which it will.

Brady also has taken a significant paycut to allow for pieces to be built around him, and easily makes up the difference in endorsements.

Hopefully Russ recognizes that the "Russell Wilson Brand" benefits from being around a great team and that although he deserves a massive contract, its going to significantly make it harder for the Seahawks to be dominant over the long run, which will hurt Brand Russ.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
No, because people who claim to know football will never put our QB on the same level as Brady, including some of our own fanbase.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Despite what Cowboy and Patriot fans think, there are only three dynasties that matter. The 60's Packers, the 70's Steelers and the 80's Niners. All the others were too short lived. Patriots only go to the playoffs year after year because the AFC East sucks year after year. They stopped winning SB's after the cheating stopped.

I'd be happy if five years from now we can add the Seahawks as the fourth true dynasty.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The true test is when you see other top level teams trying to emulate our formula for success. I think it has already happened or at least begun. Denver, New England in particular have been trying to buy their way to a good defense to compliment their high powered offenses. At great cost! Guys like Revis, Ware and Miller don't grow on trees.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":16o9mbxi said:
The true test is when you see other top level teams trying to emulate our formula for success. I think it has already happened or at least begun. Denver, New England in particular have been trying to buy their way to a good defense to compliment their high powered offenses. At great cost! Guys like Revis, Ware and Miller don't grow on trees.
Well they do in Seattle. We're the rainforest :)

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't know that 'Jim Mora era' is the right way to describe 2009. Maybe more like "end of the Tim Ruskell era and the year that Hass played with cracked ribs and Mora blamed Olindo Mare for a loss." In retrospect, losing the last four games of that season is one of the better things to happen to this franchise.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
AgentDib":3ajaywt0 said:
I don't know that 'Jim Mora era' is the right way to describe 2009. Maybe more like "end of the Tim Ruskell era and the year that Hass played with cracked ribs and Mora blamed Olindo Mare for a loss." In retrospect, losing the last four games of that season is one of the better things to happen to this franchise.

Yep.....hindsight is always 20/20. Because it sure wasn't fun while it was happening!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
What's the winning percentage of the teams they have beaten? That would really be an interesting question.
Every year, we have to had to beat some really good teams, with at least 2 teams within our division going to playoffs. The Pats have mostly played in a division with Jets, Dolphins and Bills, who have been really bad.