Rewatched the game... a few thoughts

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Not much missed that wouldn't have been evident first time round so I'll try and pick out a few thoughts as opposed to trying to cover everything.

On Paul Richardson: The lack of chemistry between him and Russell had been (understandably) evident at the beginning of the season but they appear to be making strides together over previous weeks and Richardson's really helping him out, (particularly on scrambles and in that respect I think he might already better than Kearse who seems to just run north most times the play goes south).

I'm still not seeing some of the explosiveness that we saw in College and there's not a lot of burst out of those breaks. NFL corners are sticking to him a lot easier (who'da thunk it?) though at top speed there's not many people who are catching him. This hasn't mattered a whole lot though because where he has surprised me, and something we didn't see an awful lot of on tape is his finesse. He already looks like our most fluid receiver not named Doug Baldwin and it gives me a lot of hope. That burst's there somewhere (I believe he had the quickest 10 yard split at the combine), and if he can develop it into his routes then he'll be a fantastic weapon.

Whilst I'd like to see him (and believe he can be) more of a deep threat in D-Jax role, he reminds me more of Emmanuel Sanders (the Denver version) at the moment.

I also love his hustle, given his puny profile you'd have thought he'd suck at blocking - not the case, always puts himself on the line.

By the way, when they cut to Arians open wide 'derp' face, it happened after P-Rich made that stunning grab after a Wilson scramble. I hope those two will induce more of those faces over the coming years. (Pete was also on the sideline gushing over this at the time).

On Alvin Bailey: Boy did he look solid. It'll be interesting to get some All-22 review of him but he held up really well to my eye. Okafor was running into a brick wall most of the time and on a couple of occasions resorted to trying to run around him. There's not many guys as big as Bailey that can move as well as him. I think he's our LG next year.

I'm not going to get too excited because Cable and Bevell set us up really well and Russ played his best game since the second half of St. Louis but he did a really nice job. Whether he can perform as admirably against more explosive competition remains to be seen, I have my doubts (he's sooo big) but we might find out next week. I don't actually think he'd be a drop off from Britt at RT (who performed pretty well @ Arizona) but Tom Cable clearly does otherwise he'd be playing there.

Christine Michael: Dude's shifty huh? Not seen too many players that good in little space. The way he dodges tacklers whilst staying on course is kind of like that bullet-dodging scene from the Matrix. Opposite running style to Lynch (who almost looks for guys to knock down) but just as exciting to watch. I wonder if he could be our future feature back? I don't think he will be but I'd love to see him get more reps, I think he's worthy of them and with Lynch's back problems it might be beneficial.

Also, he eats ground up so quickly what you'd think was a short gain is actually a fairly big one. Christine Michael: Making 15 yard runs look like 5 yard runs and celebrating them like 50 yard runs.

Edit: Failed to mention Paddy Lewis. I didn't like the call to play him over Lem, but that's why I'm watching the game at home in my underpants. He looked to play a really solid game of football. Testament to him that he was so forgettable I guess. If our O-line performs like this again on Sunday minus Okung and Unger then we'll be sitting very pretty.

Anyway, that's all, I'll leave the detailed analysis to the All-22ers.

Mick063

Reaction score
Michael is a star waiting to happen. I just totally believe in that guy. Every time he takes a hand off, I get a feeling that he could break it for a long gain.

pehawk

Reaction score
GREAT STUFF! Thank you.

I'm beginning to wonder if Richardson is being groomed/coached to specifically be Wilson's scramble guy. Sure seems like it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2d6w3xir said:
I'm still not seeing some of the explosiveness that we saw in College and there's not a lot of burst out of those breaks. NFL corners are sticking to him a lot easier (who'da thunk it?) though at top speed there's not many people who are catching him. This hasn't mattered a whole lot though because where he has surprised me, and something we didn't see an awful lot of on tape is his finesse. He already looks like our most fluid receiver not named Doug Baldwin and it gives me a lot of hope. That burst's there somewhere (I believe he had the quickest 10 yard split at the combine), and if he can develop it into his routes then he'll be a fantastic weapon..

I heard someone talking about this on KJR, maybe Hugh, idk. But how he explained it was even the fastest WR's need good technique and timing so that they're at the spot downfield they need to be at when the QB needs them to be open.

So if a rookie WR like Richardson is having a hard time getting off the line due to good DB technique disruption, or not running the precise route he needs to run to get to the spot, then Russell's not going to throw the pass.

But the difference in Richardson's progress from the beginning of the year til now? Fantastic and exciting.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I've seen C-Mike put the ball on the ground too many times, especially for the number of carries he has had.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":gy35j0ye said:
GREAT STUFF! Thank you.

I'm beginning to wonder if Richardson is being groomed/coached to specifically be Wilson's scramble guy. Sure seems like it.

Him and Baldwin seem to 'get it' when it comes to getting open when the play breaks down. That's good news for the type of QB Wilson is.

For all I say about his lack of route running and explosiveness in games, his hustle and willingness to get himself open to bail RW out on plays that look like they are dead... respect.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":19u281cb said:
GREAT STUFF! Thank you.

As good as Baldwin is we definitely miss Sidney Rice's ability to give him another bail out option. Really want to see P-Rich go deep in space on scramble routes like Rice used to. Most likely player to go to the house doing it (how often do we see players catch up with Baldwin?).

There was a scramble-ish drill against KC a couple of weeks ago where Wilson found Doug for a big gain by our own endzone. Richardson had run across the field untouched and turned downfield in a lot of space. If he'd turned his head in time he might have taken it to the house.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":dkbaovqt said:
I've seen C-Mike put the ball on the ground too many times, especially for the number of carries he has had.

Small sample size. One fumble in 51 regular season attempts as a Hawk.

Tical21

Reaction score
That fumble was a direct result of not switching hands. Notice on the Beastquake 2 run, Marshawn changes hands as soon as he starts running to his right. He's probably done it naturally for ages. Michael needs to drop the ego and start doing this, even though it will slow you down for a moment.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2nsixad1 said:
HawkerD":2nsixad1 said:

I thought he has fumbled several times during preseason. I may be wrong but when he fumbled on Sunday I said "Not again".

StoneCold

Reaction score
Mick063":20tb4jnn said:
Michael is a star waiting to happen. I just totally believe in that guy. Every time he takes a hand off, I get a feeling that he could break it for a long gain.

Christine looks dynamic, but he doesn't inspire confidence. Not enough north and south in short yardage situations. He needs to be more aware of the first down marker. On that short yardage run in this game he almost danced his way out of making the first down. In last weeks game and this one there was a play in each game where he ran out of bounds when he could have put the head down and made the first down. Maybe I'm too spoiled by the Beast. And he fumbles.

SC

Scottemojo

Reaction score
StoneCold":3qz2bymg said:
Mick063":3qz2bymg said:

Christine looks dynamic, but he doesn't inspire confidence. Not enough north and south in short yardage situations. He needs to be more aware of the first down marker. On that short yardage run in this game he almost danced his way out of making the first down. In last weeks game and this one there was a play in each game where he ran out of bounds when he could have put the head down and made the first down. Maybe I'm too spoiled by the Beast. And he fumbles.

SC
CM's instinct is to wiggle past trouble. But he is at his best when he ignores that and tries to go straight through whatever is on front of him. No coincidence that when he is wiggling is when he gets hit and fumbles.

Chawks1

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1lsa2y2r said:
HawkerD":1lsa2y2r said:

One fumble lost in 55 carries. 2 others fumbled that he recovered. He has dropped it 3 times now this season, in 33 carries.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Chawks1":3vqtj0wu said:
SomersetHawk":3vqtj0wu said:
HawkerD":3vqtj0wu said:

One fumble lost in 55 carries. 2 others fumbled that he recovered. He has dropped it 3 times now this season, in 33 carries.

Yeah he has ball control issues. That can be coached out, so hopefully when he improves in that area he will become what we hope he can be.

Hendo66

Reaction score
P Rich is looking really good. Hope he gets more involved this post season.
C Mike has skills but needs to turn it up field when it's time. To much juking. And protect the ball...

Ozzy

Reaction score
Great initial post. Echoes my thoughts exactly and I like seeing Bailey and Michael getting some love.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2luw32e1 said:
HawkerD":2luw32e1 said:

Yea I don't think that constitutes as being someone who fumbles too much. Def not enough to make that call.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think the game is slowing down for PRich. And that's why he's making plays. And he can catch the rock. Against Arizona Wilson was scrambling to his right and fired one to PRich near the sideline and it was so fast and quick of a catch I didn't even know if he caught it cause the camera was slow getting to it but he did and the corner was all over him.

seahawks187

Reaction score
PRich's explosiveness and speed is going to show as he continues to gain confidence and doesn't have to think too much on the field about what he has to do.

Cmike has great explosiveness.. he seems so amped up and fired up and maybe he needs to control that a lil bit but I like what I've seen from him. The start of that game him and turbo were doin well.. they just don't get the volume of carries they need .. lynch was only 9 / 34 before that 79er so all pretty similar #s