One of the top defenses of all time?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I mean we really should be in the conversation of GOAT right? Better than the Steelers of the 70s? Bears of 80s? The Bucs of early 00's? The Ray Lewis Ravens?

Points 1st
Yards 4th
Pass 6th
Rush 10th

Points 1st
Yards 1st
Pass 1st
Rush 7th

2014 (one game remaining)
Points 1st
Yards 1st
Pass 1st
Rush 3rd

Potentially if stats stay the same after the remaining game..... that's 3 years in a row of the #1 Defense by Points in the NFL and 2 years in a row of the #1 Defense by Yards! That's really amazing right?

Oh yea, not to mention that little Superb Owl thing, and shutting down the best offense of all time. :D

What do you guys think?

Giblien

Reaction score
I don't think it's a stretch at ALL to call this one of the best ever defenses. Not only that, they played clutch against the best offence ever when it mattered the most. I'm no NFL historian, but I don't see how we aren't in the top 5 all time. Frankly, the more I hear about Bennett say that "we're the best ever" the more I am beginning to believe him. If we win back to back Super Bowls, and we keep playing D like we are right now, I think we WILL be the best ever, hands down.

And keep in mind, this is the most offense friendly the NFL has EVER BEEN.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Yes, can you imagine how much better the Hawks would be if they could headhunt WRs and QBs like those defenses could? (I'm glad they can't because I don't need to see guys get maimed playing football anymore). Also let's not forget that you practically have to be perfect in coverage not to draw a flag. There's no doubt in my mind the Hawks deserve a place right up with them.

pmedic920

Reaction score
We know the truth.

Will be hard to get the NFL and Media to say it though.

If we pull off another SB with the "D" playing like they are, should be a no brainer.
:{)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
First D since 85 Bears to be first in PPG and yards two years straight?

Yeah, I call that historic D.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Yea, I hope everyone is getting a good taste of what this is like, because its possible we never see a defense like this ever again once its over. Especially in this day and age of the NFL.

Mick063

Reaction score
You have to factor in a newish rule with an even newer, current preseason emphasis.

"Illegal contact"

Trying to compare previous defenses with this one are almost apples and oranges because of that rule.

Those Steeler and Raider safeties of the 70's were flat knocking people out. Jack Tatum paralyzed a guy for life. The Bears safeties of the 80's, Fencik and Plank, would laugh at the concept of defenseless receiver. Cornerback Lester Hayes was hand fighting receivers all the way down the field, covering them from head to toe with "stickum". It truly was a different game back then. I watched all of it religiously. I have seen all of the greats.

Not only did Seattle adapt, but they become the model of "heads up" football and the "Hawk tackle". They are playing safe, but very physical football. Football historians reward innovators like Paul Brown and Sid Gillman for evolving the game. Not only should the defense be recognized, but Carroll should be recognized as another innovator that changed the game as well. Don't look now, but the Patriots are using a single high safety and paid a stiff price for Brandon Browner. They are emulating success, the highest form of praise.

Yes......best defense ever if they take home the trophy. The rules have evolved to favor offense. Let this team play under the old rule set. Could you imagine Kam playing in the seventies? He would be killing people.

marko358

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2jryrpa1 said:

I thought they threw a stat on the screen in Sunday's broadcast that showed the '00 and '01 Ravens in there as well. Maybe I'm crazy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
marko358":2iuunny1 said:
Scottemojo":2iuunny1 said:

I thought they threw a stat on the screen in Sunday's broadcast that showed the '00 and '01 Ravens in there as well. Maybe I'm crazy.
Prolly true. Still damn good company.