Warriors' Kerr attributes success to Carroll's philosophy

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted anywhere and thought it was pretty cool. First-year NBA coach Steve Kerr has led the Golden State Warriors to a league-best 23-3 record. It turns out Kerr attended Seattle's training camp in Renton, Washington, in order to "soak in Carroll's coaching philosophy" before his first season as Warriors coach.

"We talked a lot about just kind of the atmosphere around a team and how you're going to approach the daily routine," Kerr said.

"To me, the X's and O's ... they're an important part of coaching but a relatively small part. Eighty percent of it is just relationships and atmosphere, what your daily routine and culture is.

"Are players engaged, are they enjoying themselves, are they competing? All those principals he talked about, and we talked about different ideas of ways to make those things come to life. To me, that's his gift."

Practical result: Kerr saw how Carroll's players reacted when the Seahawks played music throughout practice, so he installed speakers at the Warriors site, and there is now music playing through most Warriors sessions.

"It's a staple for the Seahawks -- it's really uplifting and it's fun," said Kerr, who has piped in an array of rap and rock.

"Everybody's bouncing around and energetic, but you've got to focus, too. So there's different reasons to employ that. But that came from Pete."
http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami ... ks-carroll
http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_ ... te-carroll

It turns out when Carroll was a new head coach, he called up Phil Jackson, then-coach of the world champion Chicago Bulls, to pick his brain about "the art of communication with players," so it's sort of come full circle.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
It was said Pete Carroll discovered America. Oh and the movie Forest Gump was based on Pete Carroll's life. Amazing biopic I might add.

Mick063

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with loving what Pete Carroll has done. Nothing wrong with pointing out his influence upon peers.

That is unless you easily identify with this new collective consciousness called the internet where dissing anyone with a hint of success has become in vogue. I catch myself falling into that trap occasionally. Amazing how an embedded culture can occasionally cause one to fall out of character.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Wow, Golden State is down by 20+ to the listless Lakers. Did I jinx them? :les:

12thbrah

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3mvod9by said:
Wow, Golden State is down by 20+ to the listless Lakers. Did I jinx them? :les:

Kobe sits and Lakers beat Golden State. Go figure sit the selfish player and the team plays better.

Every good coach out there try's to borrow ideas from other successful coaches.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
A timely reminder that talent combined with an atmosphere where players are respected as people and professionals yields results. Good bump, hn2015.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Cool for a first year coach to win an nba championship, and even cooler that he got some help from Pete.

Competition truly is key. It is nearly impossible to give 100% effort without real competition.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mick063":2srfvp7p said:
There is nothing wrong with loving what Pete Carroll has done. Nothing wrong with pointing out his influence upon peers.

That is unless you easily identify with this new collective consciousness called the internet where dissing anyone with a hint of success has become in vogue. I catch myself falling into that trap occasionally. Amazing how an embedded culture can occasionally cause one to fall out of character.

Brilliant point.

Lesson being, whichever way the "collective" is heading, go the other way. I do that when riding, pull up to an intersection, whichever way most cars are going, I go the opposite way :D

hawknation2015

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/611038487639408641[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/610275698536771584[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/611030220229902336[/tweet]

"The reason I went up there is because I want my team to play like the Seahawks," Kerr says. "They're fast and loose and disciplined all at once. I wanted to know how you achieve that."

One thing he noticed is that Carroll turned everything into a competition. So you don't just swap basketballs for footballs and tell the guys to mess around, you turn it into a passing competition. You don't just cancel practice and go bowling, you turn it into a tournament as the Warriors did before a February game in Minnesota.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":693anx3a said:
Mick063":693anx3a said:

Brilliant point.

Lesson being, whichever way the "collective" is heading, go the other way. I do that when riding, pull up to an intersection, whichever way most cars are going, I go the opposite way :D

We've become a nation of Haters. People use the internet and social media to vent vitriol about anyone more successful than themselves. It might make an interesting psychological study, but it's not complicated.

Then again, my sig probably should be "social media is the devil".

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawks46":3txt36zs said:
ivotuk":3txt36zs said:
Mick063":3txt36zs said:

Brilliant point.

We've become a nation of Haters. People use the internet and social media to vent vitriol about anyone more successful than themselves. It might make an interesting psychological study, but it's not complicated.

yeah, Hate the haters.

Oh. Wait. What?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawks46":ag94qosz said:
ivotuk":ag94qosz said:
Mick063":ag94qosz said:

Brilliant point.

Here's a possible study: Have social media, blogs, message boards and so on engendered hate and cynicism or just made us more aware of those traits in others?

And to keep this on topic: Go Warriors! I love that Steve Kerr successfully applied what he learned from Pete and used it to help his team win a championship.

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
Such a bummer to know that Kerr would be here right now coaching the SONICS if the sacramento move had gone through. Phil Jackson was on board to be our GM and he had already lined up Kerr to coach. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's awesome to see teams and coaches, even from other sports, emulating what coach Carroll has done here

253hawk

Reaction score
Check out his t-shirt...

1486678_813898135376189_5308086939586688551_n.jpg

hawknation2015

Reaction score
253hawk":1gml4qrm said:
Check out his t-shirt...

1486678_813898135376189_5308086939586688551_n.jpg

LOL, that is too awesome . . . I'm sure Niner fans love seeing Steve Kerr wearing a Seahawks t-shirt on the night he wins the championship. Makes me kind of love the guy.

That book he is reading is great too, BTW. It's about the American crew team from the University of Washington that went on to triumph during the Olympics in Nazi Germany.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
I have always said that Pete Carroll reminds me so much of the legendary Coach... Bill Walsh. So yes, Kerr wanted to learn from the best, Pete Carroll is a proven "awesome" Coach. And much like Walsh brought the West Coast style of football to the NFL, Kerr is revolutionizing "Small Ball" in the NBA.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":3tuigeni said:
I have always said that Pete Carroll reminds me so much of the legendary Coach... Bill Walsh. So yes, Kerr wanted to learn from the best, Pete Carroll is a proven "awesome" Coach. And much like Walsh brought the West Coast style of football to the NFL, Kerr is revolutionizing "Small Ball" in the NBA.

Walsh's philosophy is very much a part of Carroll. He grew up "a huge 49ers fan" and had the opportunity to visit the 49ers on several occasions as a young coach to talk to George Seifert, who was at that time coaching the Niners’ defensive backs, about the team's philosophy and defensive scheme. After he became the Niners' DC, he had more opportunities to pick Walsh's brain:

Before my second season, Coach Walsh was hired as a consultant. I couldn’t have been more excited because in addition to being one of the coaches I most admired, he also was one of the guests whom Professor Albaugh had brought into class when I was a graduate student at UOP, and just beginning to formulate my coaching style . . . .

It was very interesting to see how the assistants reacted when Coach Walsh entered the facility or a staff meeting. They had such a sense of respect for him and he was held in such high regard that they were nervous and on edge around him. Because of his intimidating presence, he was typically left alone for most of the day. Since I had not been there when he was leading the organization, I didn’t feel that sense of protocol— and he certainly didn’t insist on it. I was quite comfortable around him and stopped by whenever I could. In his office we would spend hours chatting and I would ask him a variety of questions about how he changed the culture of the Niners, including the details of his philosophy. For me, it was an incredible experience, as he was able to explain to me the spectrum of his approach, ranging from personnel decisions to coaching decisions and more.

We talked a lot about the quarterback position. Coach Walsh was one of the great quarterback gurus in the history of the game, and he convinced me that everything a coach does in designing his offense should be about making it easy for the quarterback, because his job is so difficult. He believed that everything should be structured with the quarterback in mind. We talked a lot about the discipline that was necessary to do this when designing game plans, structuring practices, and calling plays.

One time when we were talking, I asked Coach Walsh what he looked for in evaluating quarterbacks. If the entire offensive game revolved around the quarterback, what kind of player was he looking for? His answer was simple, a revelation. “All I’m looking for,” Coach answered, “is a guy who can throw a catchable ball.” He went on to talk about Joe Montana and said that what made him so special wasn’t that he had the greatest arm in the game but that he could be relied upon to throw a ball that could be caught with near-total consistency. That’s an incredibly rare thing in a player— and a totally unique insight by a coach. I still think about Coach Walsh’s “catchable ball” today when I evaluate potential quarterbacks during recruiting, draft preparation, or free agency and have never forgotten the importance of building an offense that is focused on protecting the quarterback, first and foremost.

Coach Walsh and I also talked many times about eliminating doubt and how much easier it is to perform when you truly believe in your preparation. That led us to a discussion about preparation and practice. Coach Walsh was a great believer in “contingency planning.” His approach was that preparation and practice sessions should be designed so that the performer is trained for all potential outcomes and events. When you plan and train for all possible contingencies, you eliminate surprises and, in turn, eliminate a huge source of doubt that so often make us tighten up.

Coach Walsh applied the concept of contingency planning not just to practice but to all aspects of his program, including personnel, scouting, coaching, training, travel, teaching, public relations, and nutrition. In all areas, he wanted to have a plan for everything that could possibly happen. The basis for the philosophy was simple but brilliant— have a plan for all eventual outcomes, and you’ll be prepared. To accomplish this, a coach must prepare a step-by-step approach that encompasses all possible results.

What I learned from Coach Walsh during my time with the 49ers was that this approach can apply to all facets of your personal life, as well as your working life. There is, however, another side to this; for better or worse, once you start down this path of contingency planning, the quest to cover all bases never ends. Once I accepted this line of thinking and incorporated it into my daily life, everything changed.

Often, when I left his office, I felt the same way I had with Coach Grant in Minnesota: privileged to pick the brain of one of the great minds in my profession. It was as though Coach Walsh let me in on his professional secrets. By the time I left the 49ers for the Patriots, I felt I really understood the reasons behind the San Francisco 49ers’ profound success. Because Coach Walsh was so open to share his insights and so generous with his time, I felt that I understood it in a way that was available to few outside— or even inside— the organization.

Carroll, Peter N.; Roth, Yogi; Garin, Kristoffer A. (2011-08-02). Win Forever: Live, Work, and Play Like a Champion.

Latest posts