Fun Pete Carroll nugget I just discovered

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been brought up before in some capacity.. but it's pretty crazy to think about.. that back in late 2000, another Seahawks coach could have very well created a Butterfly Effect of sorts and screwed the Seahawks not only in the late 90's .. but now.

After over-achieving in a big way at Oregon State, USC was desperate for a head coach to revitalize a stagnant program with a proud and deep tradition. The coach they so desperately coveted?

Dennis Erickson.

USC was so serious about hiring him, they even had a contract offer on the table for him. Erickson would wind up turning down the job and staying at Oregon State. USC would wind up hiring some guy named Pete Carroll.

The rest is history.

Good thing Erickson to USC didn't become a thing.. otherwise the Seahawks on the verge of a possible 2nd consecutive Super Bowl.. would probably not be a thing either.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
(I may be watching The U Parts 1 and 2 on ESPN2 right now)

sutz

Reaction score
IDK, I suspect that Pete Carroll would have succeeded no matter where he went. Granted, USC is a 'marquee' program that affords a lot of exposure to its head coach, but Pete has a winning formula that I think would transfer well to wherever he goes. That's probably not as true in the NFL as it is in NCAA because when owners put big bucks on the line, they tend to be conservative in what they allow their coaches to do. With Paul Allen's attitude of letting the head guy do what he thinks is right until he fails miserably, Seattle might be the only place in the NFL where he would get away with what he did, which seems to include selecting a GM that works so well with him.

It's an interesting nugget, TBS, but I'm not so sure it means Pete wouldn't have eventually ended up here. One his problems with his first couple of stints as a HC in hte pros, IIRC, involved intrusive actions by owners/higher management. I think we have the best 'corporate' attitude in the league, which makes a guy like Pete almost inevitable. I don't believe too much in things like fate, but the match we have now is something more than just happenstance, I think.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It could have screwed up the timing for Carroll being in Seattle. Timing is everything.
Carroll was going to be wildly successful wherever. I'm just glad it's here.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Very interesting. I also believe there is no way we are where we are now without losing XL. I would have loved for Hass, Walt, Alexander, etc to get a ring, but given the choice, there's no way I would trade an XL win for this team and its potential right here, right now.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Pete Carroll was like 6th in line for that USC job, and USC got absolutely roasted by the local media for hiring him, especially after going 6-6 in his first year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It wasn't just the media. They received thousands of calls, emails, letters and faxes at Heritage Hall protesting Pete's hire. By the end of the first season he had started turning it around with a victory over the 'ruins. But it wasn't until that offseason when Pete re-tooled the offense that things really started to take off.