Our Offense will be better without Kearse

Tokadub

Reaction score
I'm actually kinda glad that Kearse is out this game since I think we've been using him way too much this season. I hope Kearse is healthy for the playoffs so we have better depth, but I really think our Offense might be better without him or if he only has limited targets.

Kearse is not a very good blocker he seems pretty weak and lazy in that regard. Which is why he is now the receiver running behind the blocks on those short passes out wide.. whenever Kearse has to block for those kinds of passes he fails and so does the play.

Whenever Kearse seems to be Wilson's primary target for many plays you know our Offense is in big trouble lacking creativity and stability/intelligence.

Kearse just simply isn't that good he should be a #4 receiver but sometimes we use him like he's our #1 and target him the most. I like Kearse's athleticism but that's about it, he doesn't seem to have the hands or the killer instinct to ever be a top receiver, he never seems to fight for the ball and unless it hits him right between the numbers he makes seemingly every single catch look circus like in how he bobbles the ball around like a wet bar of soap.

Kearse has consistently had one of the lowest reception/target rates on our team (56.7% this season), simply put he hasn't earned getting so many targets.

Kearse also only has 1 Touchdown on 67 targets (1.5%), which is by far the lowest rate on the team. Everyone on our team with at least 12 targets has 1 Touchdown (other than Percy Harvin who had none after 26 targets).

I don't think it's a coincidence that we set a Franchise record for offensive yards and Wilson sets his regular season passing record on a day Kearse gets hurt early and only has 1 target. But that's just 1 game lets look at Kearses receptions/targets for our losses compared to a few of our best offensive wins.

Kearse in Losses:

VS San Diego - Kearse is 4/5 - Wilson 119.1 Passer Rating
VS Dallas - Kearse is 3/7 (most targets on the team) - Wilson 47.6 Passer Rating
VS St. Louis - Kearse is 3/6 - Wilson 110.1 Passer Rating
VS Kansas City - Kearse is 5/8 - Wilson 98.2 Passer Rating

Kearse in 4 losses - 15/26 (57.7%)

Kearse in best Offensive Wins:

VS Green Bay - Kearse is 1/3 - Wilson 110.9 Passer Rating
VS Denver - Kearse is 2/2 - Wilson 99.9 Passer Rating
VS Redskins - Kearse is 1/2 - Wilson 127.3 Passer Rating
VS Cardinals - Kearse is 1/1 - Wilson 122.9 Passer Rating

Kearse in 4 best Offensive Wins - 5/8 (62.5%)

Conclusion:

In 4 of our best offensive games Kearse was targeted only 8 times compared to the 26 targets in our 4 losses. Although at times Wilson still puts up a good Passer Rating when we lose it seems that when our Offense is so focused on Kearse bad things happen to us.

With Kearse out tomorrow I expect Wilson to put up another huge game offensively and the evidence will continue to mount that Kearse should have a smaller role in this offense when he does return, we have better options and he's too inconsistent.

It seems like Bevell at times is putting too much emphasis on Kearse as Wilson's primary target and it results in a lot of really ugly, sloppy, inefficient plays where Wilson is just waiting and waiting for him to get open and has to throw it away. Often times even when Kearse does get open he will still drop great throws or fail to fight for the ball and gain position on his defender... it's just not worth it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Maybe he gets targeted a lot in some games because the other options for Russ are well covered. In limited action, I like what I've seen from Richardson, but I'm not so sure he's ready for a starting role. We'll see. Maybe Norwood will see action as well. Truthfully, I'm more worried about special teams because of Matthew's status.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Correlation, Causation, or Coincidence?

Hmmm...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I like Kearse and think a lot of people are too hard on him. He's made huge strides since first being an UDFA.. and has had a couple big catches for us recently (NFC Title Game).

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm torn, his TD in the Super Bowl was one of the best Seahawk plays I've ever seen and he has made some huge catches. He seems to struggle with drops in crucial situations. I'm excited to see if Richardson or someone else steps up in his absence. Someone has a chance to earn a much larger role going forward. If not Kearse will go back to his role in the starting lineup. I seriously doubt he starts next year though.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
For me Kearse is a supremely clutch player who struggles with the routine. I hear your gripes, but add to the discussion his role as a core ST player and I think there is a place for him on the team going forward, certainly more than a player like Walters.

kearly

Reaction score
Kearse is a pretty good blocker, and he's easily our best deep threat. He has a long history of clutch play. He's not a star, but a nice piece of the puzzle.

Seattle has functioned just fine without him, one of the benefits of having 'pedestrian' WRs is that you never end up missing any of them too much when they miss games.

It'd be nice if we saw more of Norwood. Norwood is a lot like Kearse. He doesn't always make it look easy but he will usually make the play.

rideaducati

Reaction score
If less Kearse means more Walters it's really gonna suck. I hope to see a lot more channel 83 with Kearse being out.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
With Kearse sidelined, I'm looking forward to seeing more from Richardson, Norwood, and maybe Matthews. This next game will be a good test for them against that defense.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":z6hlx5xx said:
With Kearse sidelined, I'm looking forward to seeing more from Richardson, Norwood, and maybe Matthews. This next game will be a good test for them against that defense.

It's great that Richardson is getting time, but why has Norwood dropped off the face of the Earth? Kind of weird.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I think it has to do with how many players are active on game day. Most of our guys are back and we need depth in certain places more than in certain areas, but at the same time it is weird that Norwood hasn't received much mention. He is 2nd in the depth chart after Kearse. Richardson has earned more playing time though. Chris Matthews I don't know why he would leap ahead of Norwood unless it's a favorably matchup they want.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1j63syk0 said:
I like Kearse and think a lot of people are too hard on him. He's made huge strides since first being an UDFA.. and has had a couple big catches for us recently (NFC Title Game).

I like Kearse too and he should forever go down in Seahawks lore for playing such a crucial role in our first Superbowl season. He is capable of spectacular plays and he made them when they mattered most last season. For an UDFA he is pretty dang impressive.

bigDhawk":1j63syk0 said:
For me Kearse is a supremely clutch player who struggles with the routine. I hear your gripes, but add to the discussion his role as a core ST player and I think there is a place for him on the team going forward, certainly more than a player like Walters.

I agree Kearse is pretty solid on special teams which adds to his value.

Walters should not be on the team, it's sad that we can't find anyone else to fair catch or run for minimal yards...

I do think there's a place for Kearse on the team and he HAS EARNED IT (just not for a lot of money I hope). But I just think we are focusing on him a little too much and it's hurting the growth and development of some of our players not to mention the overall success of our Offense.

Kearse should never lead the team in targets for ANY Game, if he does something is wrong in my opinion. Kearse had the most targets against Dallas (where he went 3/7), and he also had the most targets against Oakland (he went 1/7 for 4 yards... that might explain why that game was "close"). Kearse also had 4-5 games this season where he was tied for the most targets or he had just 1 less... I just think that's too many targets for Kearse plain and simple.

I'd like to see some of Kearse's targets going to Richardson, Norwood, Lockette, and Luke Willson (if he keeps playing well he's been suffering from the drops too). Heck, I wouldn't mind more targets for all our RB's since defenses apparently can't defend that VS the Hawks.

Not including last weeks game Kearse has had 66 targets in 14 games (4.71 targets/game). 5 targets a game might not sound like much but when Wilson is only throwing the ball 28 times a game... that's not leaving him much to work with for the other guys.

For 28 passes a game in a perfect world I think the distribution should look like this:

Baldwin = 6
TE's combined = 6
Paul Richardson = 4
Norwood = 4
Kearse = 3
Lockette = 2
Lynch = 2
Turbin/CMike = 1

Obviously the numbers can shift a little on any given day and I'm giving Norwood 4 based on my perceived potential for him since he's kinda mysteriously disappeared. When you try to spread just 28 passes throughout the whole team you can see how there's just not much to go around for any one guy. In any case I don't like how Kearse has gotten 7-8 targets 5 times this season, that's just simply too much for him and I think it's hurting the offense.

kearly":1j63syk0 said:
Kearse is a pretty good blocker, and he's easily our best deep threat. He has a long history of clutch play. He's not a star, but a nice piece of the puzzle.

Seattle has functioned just fine without him, one of the benefits of having 'pedestrian' WRs is that you never end up missing any of them too much when they miss games.

It'd be nice if we saw more of Norwood. Norwood is a lot like Kearse. He doesn't always make it look easy but he will usually make the play.

I just haven't seen it with Kearse's blocking. It seems like there have been so many plays where Baldwin or Harvin were getting some quick passes to the edge of the field and Kearse just completely whiffed on his block going for their legs or he can't contain them and they blow right past him. I can't think of one play where Kearse did a good job blocking except a few where he was just holding their shirts and it could of been a penalty so that doesn't really count. I have NFL Rewind though so if anyone remembers a play where Kearse was better than I'm giving him credit for I'll check that out.

I think one of the main reasons we started using Kearse on those passes to the edge is that he couldn't block properly for them so Baldwin and even Harvin were completely ineffective with him up front. Kearse does have some nice athleticism as the receiver for those kind of plays with his stiff arms and potential spin moves but it seems like we could gain even more yards on some huge plays from Baldwin or a speedster like CMike or even Lockette/Paul Richardson if Kearse could effectively block.

Agree Kearse has been our best deep threat but I am not convinced that's just not a product of bad coaching from Bevell. We couldn't get Harvin deep, we never get Paul Richardson deep, only tried Norwood once and the defender made an excellent play, and we very rarely use Lockette or Luke Willson deep either. It seems to me that Kearse might not even be our best deep threat even though Bevell is forcing him to be that guy.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3ui0skuz said:
Maybe he gets targeted a lot in some games because the other options for Russ are well covered. In limited action, I like what I've seen from Richardson, but I'm not so sure he's ready for a starting role. We'll see. Maybe Norwood will see action as well. Truthfully, I'm more worried about special teams because of Matthew's status.

I think it's pretty much this.

When the other team locks down our other receivers, esp. Baldwin, Kearse is the option not locked down that Russell knows where he'll be, and knows how he rolls (speed, catch radius, etc.) and knows where to put the ball to give him a shot.

Kearse is actually decent at coming up with deep balls, or at least not letting them get picked, when Russell puts it up for him 1v1.

But yeah, Kearse has played like a #4 receiver this year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I liked your other thread about Lockette, too. Maybe Rocket will get some of Kearse's targets.
It was kinda funny, I kept expecting you to say knee-jerk reaction stuff about Lockette, Bevell, etc., and you sort of did, except this time, pretty much every damn little piece of your arguments made good sense. You were arguing for developing Lockette more, giving him a chance and being a little patient, when usually you're expounding on how much a given player sucks and should be immediately benched/cut, so it caught me off guard. But you had legit points, especially when considering how Kearse has performed as the player in front of Lockette.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Kearse is not good but he's been our only deep threat. Maybe this will give Richardson a chance to go deep. Want to see that speed on display.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Tokadub":2n5ykerw said:
I'm actually kinda glad that Kearse is out this game since I think we've been using him way too much this season. I hope Kearse is healthy for the playoffs so we have better depth, but I really think our Offense might be better without him or if he only has limited targets.

Kearse is not a very good blocker he seems pretty weak and lazy in that regard. Which is why he is now the receiver running behind the blocks on those short passes out wide.. whenever Kearse has to block for those kinds of passes he fails and so does the play.

Whenever Kearse seems to be Wilson's primary target for many plays you know our Offense is in big trouble lacking creativity and stability/intelligence.

Kearse just simply isn't that good he should be a #4 receiver but sometimes we use him like he's our #1 and target him the most. I like Kearse's athleticism but that's about it, he doesn't seem to have the hands or the killer instinct to ever be a top receiver, he never seems to fight for the ball and unless it hits him right between the numbers he makes seemingly every single catch look circus like in how he bobbles the ball around like a wet bar of soap.

Kearse has consistently had one of the lowest reception/target rates on our team (56.7% this season), simply put he hasn't earned getting so many targets.

Kearse also only has 1 Touchdown on 67 targets (1.5%), which is by far the lowest rate on the team. Everyone on our team with at least 12 targets has 1 Touchdown (other than Percy Harvin who had none after 26 targets).

I don't think it's a coincidence that we set a Franchise record for offensive yards and Wilson sets his regular season passing record on a day Kearse gets hurt early and only has 1 target. But that's just 1 game lets look at Kearses receptions/targets for our losses compared to a few of our best offensive wins.

Kearse in Losses:

VS San Diego - Kearse is 4/5 - Wilson 119.1 Passer Rating
VS Dallas - Kearse is 3/7 (most targets on the team) - Wilson 47.6 Passer Rating
VS St. Louis - Kearse is 3/6 - Wilson 110.1 Passer Rating
VS Kansas City - Kearse is 5/8 - Wilson 98.2 Passer Rating

Kearse in 4 losses - 15/26 (57.7%)

Kearse in best Offensive Wins:

VS Green Bay - Kearse is 1/3 - Wilson 110.9 Passer Rating
VS Denver - Kearse is 2/2 - Wilson 99.9 Passer Rating
VS Redskins - Kearse is 1/2 - Wilson 127.3 Passer Rating
VS Cardinals - Kearse is 1/1 - Wilson 122.9 Passer Rating

Kearse in 4 best Offensive Wins - 5/8 (62.5%)

Conclusion:

In 4 of our best offensive games Kearse was targeted only 8 times compared to the 26 targets in our 4 losses. Although at times Wilson still puts up a good Passer Rating when we lose it seems that when our Offense is so focused on Kearse bad things happen to us.

With Kearse out tomorrow I expect Wilson to put up another huge game offensively and the evidence will continue to mount that Kearse should have a smaller role in this offense when he does return, we have better options and he's too inconsistent.

It seems like Bevell at times is putting too much emphasis on Kearse as Wilson's primary target and it results in a lot of really ugly, sloppy, inefficient plays where Wilson is just waiting and waiting for him to get open and has to throw it away. Often times even when Kearse does get open he will still drop great throws or fail to fight for the ball and gain position on his defender... it's just not worth it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Outstanding game from Kearse tonight. Hopefully he continues to string games like tonight together.

hawk45

Reaction score
Wilson seems to really trust Kearse. Multiple times this week he just let it fly deep and said if Kearse can get it, profit, if not, nothing bad will happen.

He tried it once with Prich also.

I also think with the young Panther secondary the game plan was to test them deep if you can get a guy single covered, even without a ton of separation. If so, good game plan.