Read option today

endzorn

Reaction score
I thought we had a lot more than 132 yards rushing today because we seemed to be so successful with the read option handoff. The Rams were committed to stopping Wilson so they had the backside defensive end commit to wilson on every read so Lynch and Turbin kept planting a foot and hitting the backside cutback for 5-8 yards per carry it seemed. I hope teams decide thats the way to attack because it leaves such a huge backside lane.

We are the only team that continues to be dangerous with that read and it stems solely from Wilson's ability to gash teams if they crash the backside defender on our running back.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the scoop. Live in KC so I could not watch the game. Hope the RO continues to work well for us.

Go Hawks!!

pehawk

Reaction score
Read option is everything to this Seattle offense. If it's not working, the offense aint working...

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think a lot of people confuse success with the read option. If Wilson isn't taking off for big runs they assume its off. At times teams commit to stopping Wilson which makes life easier for Lynch. I don't care who gets the yards as long as teams commit to stopping one the other should be there. Seattle has been masterful with the read option.

pehawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1le209qh said:
I think a lot of people confuse success with the read option. If Wilson isn't taking off for big runs they assume its off. At times teams commit to stopping Wilson which makes life easier for Lynch. I don't care who gets the yards as long as teams commit to stopping one the other should be there. Seattle has been masterful with the read option.

Yup.

It also gives the defense one more responsibility and/or thing to gameplan for. Real time, that helps an OLine and WR groups which may forever need such mental advantages.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
The main thing today was that the Rams took the read away from Wilson by just coming at him every time so the running back knew he had the backside every time. Give our backs credit for making that happen over and over. I get why the Rams did it, but showing their hand on every play was odd. Gregg Williams basically left the second level of his defense in a position to have to make open field tackles against Lynch and Turbin.

pehawk

Reaction score
endzorn":3u0zk4mu said:
The main thing today was that the Rams took the read away from Wilson by just coming at him every time so the running back knew he had the backside every time. Give our backs credit for making that happen over and over. I get why the Rams did it, but showing their hand on every play was odd. Gregg Williams basically left the second level of his defense in a position to have to make open field tackles against Lynch and Turbin.

Williams maybe the worst DC I've personally watched this year. He's bad...like really bad. I have no idea what happened to him, because I used to respect the hell out of him. But he blitzes randomly and devises really, really, really bad gameplans.

I've watched probably 6 Rams games this year and he's been as bad a coordinator I've seen. He makes Mel Tucker say "yo, that dudes retarded..."

idahohawk

Reaction score
The turnovers in the 1st half really made the STL D seem much more effective. Especially Lynch's fumble. That was a good play call & would have opened up some other stuff but the bad break snowball just kept getting bigger. Thankfully the D came to play again.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
pehawk":3fxmq3j9 said:
endzorn":3fxmq3j9 said:

Williams maybe the worst DC I've personally watched this year. He's bad...like really bad. I have no idea what happened to him, because I used to respect the hell out of him. But he blitzes randomly and devises really, really, really bad gameplans.

I've watched probably 6 Rams games this year and he's been as bad a coordinator I've seen. He makes Mel Tucker say "yo, that dudes retarded..."
I am so glad Fisher is one of those coaches who drags his pals around, like mora with Greg Knapp. If Fisher ever hired a defensive coordinator with an actual understanding of today's offenses the Rams would be unGodly good.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Listening to Fisher's pressers prior to the game, it seem like his obsession with Wilson being our 'extra man on the field' had an influence on the defense game plan.

It's like they were willing to take their chances with our RB's as long as Wilson's running was neutralized.

Seafan

Reaction score
The pass may also become more available with the RO depending on match ups. That's another angle this team could exploit.