Will We Lose Irvin To Free Agency When His Contract Expires?

dopeboy206

Reaction score
What are the odds of us re-signing this athletically gifted beast we call Bruce Irvin when his contract expires? I know Wilson is due for a big paycheck and Wagner is a huge priority but I'm also worried we might not have enough for Irvin. I love Irvin's game he does so many different things well and just don't wanna see him go.

smerfy01

Reaction score
I really hope we don't lose him. He's REALLY stepped up his game this whole season and IMHO has become a truly integral part of our defense.

sutz

Reaction score
Gotta trust JS to find a way. Irvin has been criticized a lot around here (unfairly, IMHO) but he's turned into the kind of stud some thought he'd be. He's a tremendous athlete and I think he's smarter than many people give him credit for, so I'd hate to lose him.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Irvin went from a bust to a suitable situational player to a legitimate pass down threat. I do think we lose him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
So far, he hasn't put up the kind of season that will cost us a ton to keep him. If we can lock him up a bit early, I think we can get him for a fair contract.

I'm giddy about this kid's ceiling. This is only his 2nd season at OLB and he's starting to show flashes of dominance.

drdiags

Reaction score
As a 1st round pick, I think he will be in the same boat as Aldon Smith was with the 9ers. They can offer him a 5th year or extend him sometime next year or not. Just like they did with Carpenter.

The team probably wants to take care of Wilson and Wagner first and don't have to do anything with any of these players before the end of next season (Wagner and Wilson could be tag candidates and Irvin can be offered a 5th year extension as a 1st round player).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Extremely raw players like Bruce Irvin that nobody believed in usually develop a strong link to the team that drafted them and took a chance on them.

Seahawks took a tremendous risk in taking Irvin, he knows that, and handed him a contract worth $9.432 million.

I think a guy like Irvin will choose loyalty over maximizing his money. I could definitely be wrong but its just a vibe I get from the guy. Like he cares tremendously about being accepted and now that he's found a home and he's thriving as a man and complete football player, he's not going to cash out and chase the money... he's going to stay around the people who helped make him successful, his brothers on the field and his coaches who helped developed him.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Hawks46":1nrc569t said:
So far, he hasn't put up the kind of season that will cost us a ton to keep him. If we can lock him up a bit early, I think we can get him for a fair contract.

I'm giddy about this kid's ceiling. This is only his 2nd season at OLB and he's starting to show flashes of dominance.

This is what I'm hoping maybe a 3/$15m extension.

endzorn

Reaction score
This is why you have to draft well to keep winning. Guys like Irvin find their way into free agency and you have to draft well to replace that production. We cant pay everyone.

Anthony!

Reaction score
drdiags":3ni1slgu said:
As a 1st round pick, I think he will be in the same boat as Aldon Smith was with the 9ers. They can offer him a 5th year or extend him sometime next year or not. Just like they did with Carpenter.

The team probably wants to take care of Wilson and Wagner first and don't have to do anything with any of these players before the end of next season (Wagner and Wilson could be tag candidates and Irvin can be offered a 5th year extension as a 1st round player).

good points but really bad message to send if you wait to resign your franchise QB. Also a bad game to play. Our best bet of keeping Wilson is signing him this off season, same with Wagner but Wilson has more leverage.

No I do not think we will lose Irvin, I think they will be able to resign him, Everyone needs to remember resigning Wilson this off season to an extension will still leave a boat load of money, as most of his new contract will be after next year and with the cap going up we will be fine to resign Wagner and Irvin and others.

pehawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":23wfatki said:
drdiags":23wfatki said:

good points but really bad message to send if you wait to resign your franchise QB. Also a bad game to play. Our best bet of keeping Wilson is signing him this off season, same with Wagner but Wilson has more leverage.

No I do not think we will lose Irvin, I think they will be able to resign him, Everyone needs to remember resigning Wilson this off season to an extension will still leave a boat load of money, as most of his new contract will be after next year and with the cap going up we will be fine to resign Wagner and Irvin and others.

Quoting for awesomeness...

Ozzy

Reaction score
They get a 5th year option on Irvin and I doubt we lose him. He is severely underrated on this forum but I'm guessing the front office knows exactly what they have in him. He has been a monster this year. His speed allows other guys to do things and they feed off of him. It's taken him a while but he is really one of our best defensive players right now.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
The fifth year option would be at the average salary paid to the third-highest paid defensive end, through the 25th for the 2016 season. For reference, that was $7 million this year. It would likely be cheaper to extend him than pick up his option, unless he absolutely crushes next season.

drdiags

Reaction score
Anthony!":2p6iw3fs said:

Since the OP is all conjecture, just thought adding corner conditions helps when discussing all possible outcomes. No one likes to see the FO and player come to a head, but we did just see the whole Marshawn Lynch contract issue. Bad message and bad game to play aside, it is an option that one shouldn't have to blind themselves to when thinking all potential scenarios. I have been on record that Wilson will get paid, more than $18M/yr at the time of the prior discussion and trending up.

Not all examples of saying how something could play out means our Franchise QB is getting dissed. If I had a problem with paying Wilson, I would have said so a long time ago. Other teams have pushed the limit on getting a contract done. Seahawks are not above having to do the same. Flacco and Smith may not be as good in our eyes, but they did go pass the end of their contract before getting a new one. Sure, the Seahawks need to pay Wilson because of the enormous benefit they got from him but it isn't an obligation.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I would hate for us to lose a player like Irvin...simply because he's still learning the nuances of the game and IMO he's good for at least a couple nice plays a game. I can only imagine his progress with more NFL coaching especially under this regime

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The problem we now have is keeping any of our FA players as losing teams will pay top dollar for players off a Super Bowl team. Many of us will have tearful farewells with many of our outstanding players.

drdiags

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2pl2jy9g said:
The problem we now have is keeping any of our FA players as losing teams will pay top dollar for players off a Super Bowl team. Many of us will have tearful farewells with many of our outstanding players.

Check out that little conversation the Rams DC Williams was having with Maxwell as they walked off the field. Also, B Max with the Eagles is another spot that makes sense as far as B Max getting paid.

Latest posts