Do we lose Quinn? Cable? or both?

kjreid

Reaction score
no less than 5 openings this off season I can't see the Hawks keeping the full staff together. I think we lose both Quinn and Cable this year.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawk assistants can start interviewing today. They have this one week window due to the bye.

Quinn is gone. I wonder if Bevell gets an interview. Cable will get interviewed. I hope we don't have to replace all of them.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Quinn I will miss Cable not at all. Cable is supposed to be the O-line whisperer or something but it isn't working. If Cable is gone maybe we will quit throwing late picks at the line and getting Russ hammered like today.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hopefully we keep our Quinn and the Rams lose theirs. Cable?? I'm pretty sure we are wireless. Pete would decapitate himself otherwise.

RiverDog

Reaction score
homerun1970":10fr8vbw said:
Quinn I will miss Cable not at all. Cable is supposed to be the O-line whisperer or something but it isn't working. If Cable is gone maybe we will quit throwing late picks at the line and getting Russ hammered like today.

Agreed. If he thought James Carpenter had the tools to play OT in this league, then he isn't any kind of O-line whisperer.

One of the things I blame Cable for is the number of false starts we draw. It is a coachable attribute that can be conditioned by repetition and not enough emphasis is placed on it IMO. Russell Okung has played under Cable for 4 years and he's still drawing false starts as if he were a rookie.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Cable also has done some good things. Lynch has said cable was the one who helped him become a better runner in the zone scheme. Look at the way he runs now compared to when he was in buffalo. Also he has a good eye on guys who played def in college to play on the line.

homerun1970

Reaction score
To me that is part of the problem why cant we pick guys who played offense in college to play on offense. We have a awesome team right now except the O line and we keep picking projects. I worry we are going to get Russell hurt if we keep letting free runs at him.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I think Cable's the hardest coach (aside from Pete) to replace, given the complexity of our blocking system. But with that said, I wouldn't be particularly worried about his departure. Russell Wilson's the future of this franchise, and I think someone else could do a better job of protecting him. Our running game has always been destined for some kind of drop-off whenever Lynch leaves, meaning our passing game will have to go up a notch. We tried to do that with the help of Percy this year but he was the wrong guy, hopefully we try and find the right guys in the draft.

I'd be disappointed to see Quinn go, I prefer this defense to Bradley's.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If we're going to lose Quinn, better earlier than later because I expect Todd Bowles to get a HC job (@ NYJets?) and therefore Arizona will be shopping for a DC as well (if Quinn leaves).

Question to ponder... would Pete possibly hire Rex for his DC?

blkhwk

Reaction score
Hard to say, so far the experts are saying.......

49ers: If they hire an assistant, they probably stay in house
Bears: Shanahan sounds like the front runner
Atlanta: Could see Quinn going there, probably going for a defensive mind if its not McDaniels
Jets: Want to hire a "personality"
Raiders: possibility, doubt it would be Cable

Other jobs may potentially come open: (Washington, New Orleans, Rams, Giants)

Some candidates: Bowles, Quinn, Gase, Rex, Shanahan, Smith, McDaniels, Hue Jackson, Del Rio, college guys? other re-treads?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Quinn is probably second on the list of defensive minded candidates behind Bowles. I don't see too many of those teams getting defensive guys though. I like Quinn a lot, but it really is Pete's defense and I see no reason to expect a drop-off with another guy holding the title.

I don't think Cable is going anywhere. How many teams are looking for a heavy focus on the running game at the expense of pass protection? With the title and salary he gets from us the only upgrade would be a full head coaching position.

Bevell may be a very attractive target to anybody looking to build around a mobile QB. Not many of those teams fit that bill.

I can understand the mixed feelings regarding Bevell and Cable. People here undervalue significantly what they have been able to do in the running game and we just won a Superbowl with a very good chance to repeat with that focus on the running game. It can look ugly at times and Wilson has to scramble a lot but it is demonstrably a winning formula. On the other hand, we are about to pay a franchise QB a lot of money and so I can understand why some would feel more comfortable with a more typical passing offense.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
homerun1970":3ihno0rd said:
To me that is part of the problem why cant we pick guys who played offense in college to play on offense. We have a awesome team right now except the O line and we keep picking projects. I worry we are going to get Russell hurt if we keep letting free runs at him.

I can understand the thinking - the best athletes are on the defensive side of the ball so drafting offensive lineman to play OL will leave you with lesser athletes. But in Sweezy's case it has taken three seasons to get a player that is only league average or slightly above, so maybe athleticism is overrate on the OL. Apart from their LT, no one would accuse the Dallas OL of being exceedingly athletic but they are excellent at both run and pass blocking, proving one does not have to come at the expense of the other.

Brithawk":3ihno0rd said:
If Bevell goes, can we get Trestman in as OC

ugh...Trestman is not exactly run-first in his offensive philosophy. No thanks.

ImTheScientist":3ihno0rd said:
If we go to the superbowl we lose none of them.

This.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3m6tu6oe said:
If we go to the superbowl we lose none of them.

Why do you say this?

Lots of coordinators have been picked off SB teams. That's why coordinators interview during this bye week (and the bye week inbetween the conference championship games and SB)...........to put a contract in place so they're ready to roll after the SB.

dradee

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1mxqs316 said:
Rex can get another HC job if he wants to. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try for the Atlanta job.

Would any team really keep giving that turd chances over and over? Ya I guess they will never learn.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dradee":2j380yp3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2j380yp3 said:
Rex can get another HC job if he wants to. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try for the Atlanta job.

Would any team really keep giving that turd chances over and over? Ya I guess they will never learn.

Ryan's a good coach, a very good coach. The Jets have stunk because they have no talent on offense, yet their D is top 10 every year and they never quit on games, even late in the season. Those are signs of a good coach.

If I was Oakland or Atlanta, I'd go hard after Ryan. He may be a blowhard with a foot fetish, but his players play hard for him, and that's 75% of the battle in the NFL.