Division Dominance in the NFC West

gmo

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but it's been a remarkable run the Seahawks have been on in the NFC West since moving over.

The Hawks have won 7 of the past 11 NFC West titles. Here's to back to back Superb Owls to go with the 7 of 11. That would be damn impressive.

2014 Seattle Seahawks 12-4-0
2013 Seattle Seahawks 13-3-0
2012 San Francisco 49ers 11-4-1
2011 San Francisco 49ers 13-3-0
2010 Seattle Seahawks 7-9-0
2009 Arizona Cardinals 10-6-0
2008 Arizona Cardinals 9-7-0
2007 Seattle Seahawks 10-6-0
2006 Seattle Seahawks 9-7-0
2005 Seattle Seahawks 13-3-0
2004 Seattle Seahawks 9-7-0

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The realignment happened in 2002 so don't forget that St. Louis won that year and San Francisco won in 2003.

Maulbert

Reaction score
We won 2 division titles (both at 9-7) in 25 seasons in the AFC West. We made the playoffs 4 times in those 25 years.

In 13 seasons in the NFC West, we've won more division titles than our other division mates combined (7 to 6) and been to the playoffs 9 times.

It is just night and day.

(I'm not counting our first year in the NFC West in '76 in the second set of numbers, as it isn't relevant to the point.)

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Basically the Seahawks went from being another Lions/Browns/Jets franchise (that the press would cover even less than those three) to being an unquestionable top 10 franchise once Mike Holmgren took over and got his system in place. He got us five division titles and one wildcard in 10 seasons, Pete follows with three division titles and one wildcard in five years. Obviously the Mora year was a total bust, but 8 division titles and two wildcards for a total of 10 playoff appearances in 16 years is amazing sustained success after the awful Erickson/Flores years. 9+ playoff wins in that span too, obviously not counting whatever wins there will be this year, but very much counting two NFC Titles and a world title.

I grew up finding Seahawk fandom to be miserable yet strangely addicting, but the day that Holmgren took over, things got a lot better.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It's been a tough division to play in, no doubt. Here are the total wins for each division this year

AFC
East – 33
North – 38 (and 1 tie)
South – 25
West – 33

NFC
East – 32
North – 35
South – 22 LOL! (and 1 tie)
West - 37

Granted, we added wins to our division, but toughest in the NFC, and second only to AFC North by 1 game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Barthawk":3g7c71sv said:
MizzouHawkGal":3g7c71sv said:
The realignment happened in 2002 so don't forget that St. Louis won that year and San Francisco won in 2003.

Niners won it in 02, Rams did in 03.
I thought I had them switched but didn't care because they're not the Seahawks so details like that don't matter. :D

pehawk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1vewq63d said:
Basically the Seahawks went from being another Lions/Browns/Jets franchise (that the press would cover even less than those three) to being an unquestionable top 10 franchise once Mike Holmgren took over and got his system in place. He got us five division titles and one wildcard in 10 seasons, Pete follows with three division titles and one wildcard in five years. Obviously the Mora year was a total bust, but 8 division titles and two wildcards for a total of 10 playoff appearances in 16 years is amazing sustained success after the awful Erickson/Flores years. 9+ playoff wins in that span too, obviously not counting whatever wins there will be this year, but very much counting two NFC Titles and a world title.

I grew up finding Seahawk fandom to be miserable yet strangely addicting, but the day that Holmgren took over, things got a lot better.

It doesn't hurt that the Seahawks landed in a division where the other three teams are habitually poorly-ran, from a owners box perspective. Until/if the Rams move to LA, York an Bidwell sell, the Seahawks have an advantage.

kearly

Reaction score
I remember being so stoked for the Holmgren hire, a guy that was considered to be the best up and coming coach in the league, and probably the best coach not named Parcells at the time. At that point, I had been a fan for almost 10 years and hadn't seen the Hawks make the playoffs. It was a lot like what the Rams and Bills are going through right now.

For as much as we like to bitch about Peyton Manning handing the baton to Andrew Luck in Indy, we've experience something similar, something better, really. One great coach handing the baton to a generational coach, with only one miserable Jim Mora season of dues paying inbetween. That's damn lucky.

Maulbert

Reaction score
pehawk":wv9ayxw0 said:
MidwestHawker":wv9ayxw0 said:

It doesn't hurt that the Seahawks landed in a division where the other three teams are habitually poorly-ran, from a owners box perspective. Until/if the Rams move to LA, York an Bidwell sell, the Seahawks have an advantage.

That's certainly true of the Bidwill family and Fontiere (who COMPLETELY lucked her way into Kurt Warner). The Rams hadn't really been relevant since Carroll Rosenbloom died, and the Bidwill's have always been penny pinchers on a Mike Brown scale. I think we lucked out that Eddie D-Bag had to relinquish control of the 49ers right before we joined the NFC West to his sister and incompetent brother in law and their spoiled brat of a son, who apparently fancies himself Eddie D-Bag II even without the hardware to back it up. Plus, gaining in '97 Paul Allen, who I think is a top 5 owner. Hires people to do their jobs and won't meddle unless it's a truly toxic situation.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":x7zy57cg said:
I remember being so stoked for the Holmgren hire, a guy that was considered to be the best up and coming coach in the league, and probably the best coach not named Parcells at the time. At that point, I had been a fan for almost 10 years and hadn't seen the Hawks make the playoffs. It was a lot like what the Rams and Bills are going through right now.

For as much as we like to bitch about Peyton Manning handing the baton to Andrew Luck in Indy, we've experience something similar, something better, really. One great coach handing the baton to a generational coach, with only one miserable Jim Mora season of dues paying inbetween. That's damn lucky.

It's kinda like we sucked for top picks without trying to, lol. That crappy year got us Earl Thomas and Okung. I'd take one crappy year for those results.

halps80

Reaction score
We won 2 division titles (both at 9-7) in 25 seasons in the AFC West. We made the playoffs 4 times in those 25 years.

In 13 seasons in the NFC West, we've won more division titles than our other division mates combined (7 to 6) and been to the playoffs 9 times.

Minor correction, we made the playoffs five times in the AFCW ('83,'84,'87,'88,'99)

Your point is well taken though. What's also impressive is our playoff records:

AFCW: 3-5, including 3 one and dones.
NFCW: 9-7, 9-4 since '05