Does Russ Throw the Ball Just a Little Too High?

Sac

Reaction score
Overall, he's pretty accurate. But sometimes he seems like he makes the receivers stretch out for them when it's not necessary.

I'd like to see him hit more guys in stride, so they can maximize the YAC, and save the jump balls for corner and end zone post routes.

pehawk

Reaction score
Missing high is usually a newcomer thing. Its what you see when a player jumps up a level; college to pro for example. It can also be a familiarity thing: getting timing down in a new offense or with new players. I think its the latter.

(PING...PING...Anthony! checks google alert).

Largent80

Reaction score
That ball to Willson was a rocket. Would have been very hard to hand catch it. There was no arc on that puppy, it was a lazer.

I still see Russell as ever evolving, and amazing.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Not really. Sometimes. Low sometimes. Outside or inside other times. Just right someimes. Yep, he's an NFL QB.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Not really easy to be entirely accurate when your on the run, or anticipating being drilled as soon as you release the ball. Seems like either if not both of these things happen on every pass play.

CHawks4L

Reaction score
Regarding the high throw on the interception... he threw high because he couldn't step and follow all the way through with the ball due to defender in his face. If QB can't step into the throw, the ball typically goes high.

Evaluate his high throws from a clean pocket and you'll likely see better accuracy.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Save yourself Anthony!, I got this.

On the interception he was clearly pressing/throwing one in anger. He normally throws that away but he must be getting fed up with the amount of times he's throwing balls out of bounds.

On Willson's later drop, sure it was high, but NFL TE's catch it nine times out of ten. Certainly didn't look to be thrown as fast as some are saying either, I just thought it was a pretty standard throw.

I also think that because it's something Russ did plenty of early in his career we're far more aware and responsive to it now. Watching other NFL games you see guys overthrowing it plenty, and nearly always under pressure. I don't think it's an issue.

Also, our receivers appear to suffer a little from Sidney Rice syndrome i.e. they'll fall to the ground when there might be a chance to stay on their feet and get some YAC. Doug Baldwin's done this a couple of times in recent weeks. We miss Golden Tate's YAC ability, he'd often pluck the ball out of the air and stay on his feet for some extra yardage.

StoneCold

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":11k738po said:
Not really. Sometimes. Low sometimes. Outside or inside other times. Just right someimes. Yep, he's an NFL QB.

I was going to say the same thing. On the interception yesterday he definitely was too high. Not hard to do when running for your life. From the stands I never noticed that Richardson was wide open and Russ just over threw him. At the time I was just a really bad decision, but in the replay it was just a little bit too high. Later it occurred to me that most QB's never throw that int because they already got tackled for a loss. I'll take Russ.

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":38ckrp6r said:
I'd like to see him hit more guys in stride, so they can maximize the YAC, and save the jump balls for corner and end zone post routes.

Wilson is #20 in completion percentage, and #10 in QBR...........but he's also EXTREMELY accurate out of the pocket and on the run. Arguably the MOST accurate.

I just don't see this as an issue with Russell. If he overthrows someone, it's rare.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1r70ut63 said:
That ball to Willson was a rocket. Would have been very hard to hand catch it. There was no arc on that puppy, it was a lazer.

It looked like a bullet to me, also.

Throwing high is usually a sign of being too pumped up, trying too hard.

But, hey, the guy isn't perfect....yet. As long as he keeps growing as a player I'm happy. Touch, feel, confidence, and knowing receivers, comes with time and practice; as does playing within yourself. Two cents.

pehawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":mwkd33ks said:
Save yourself Anthony!, I got this.

On the interception he was clearly pressing/throwing one in anger. He normally throws that away but he must be getting fed up with the amount of times he's throwing balls out of bounds.

On Willson's later drop, sure it was high, but NFL TE's catch it nine times out of ten. Certainly didn't look to be thrown as fast as some are saying either, I just thought it was a pretty standard throw.

I also think that because it's something Russ did plenty of early in his career we're far more aware and responsive to it now. Watching other NFL games you see guys overthrowing it plenty, and nearly always under pressure. I don't think it's an issue.

Also, our receivers appear to suffer a little from Sidney Rice syndrome i.e. they'll fall to the ground when there might be a chance to stay on their feet and get some YAC. Doug Baldwin's done this a couple of times in recent weeks. We miss Golden Tate's YAC ability, he'd often pluck the ball out of the air and stay on his feet for some extra yardage.

I have to think Pete coaches this. Catch and cradle over all else. It's too frequent and common for it not to be.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80":2tro1e0g said:

I have to disagree. It went through his hands and hit him in the facemask. That was a catch a professional TE should make. Not a super easy catch but not all that difficult by NFL standards. I will look at it again though and admit I could be wrong.

When he misses it does seem to be high more often than not though. The throw to Richardson across the middle was high but it was also a tough throw to make scrambling and I think he got it.

edit: I literally added nothing to this thread, carry on. :D

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2ylvt19r said:
I have to think Pete coaches this. Catch and cradle over all else. It's too frequent and common for it not to be.

Yep, I was going to suggest that might be the case. Pete's paranoid about ball security, probably asks our guys to judge the situation. With Baldwin it's been over the middle stuff where he's faced oncoming traffic, so it kind of makes sense to protect both himself and the ball.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
It did seem that he was missing wide open guys high earlier in the season and earlier in games... seemed to be mostly those throws around 10 to 15 yards. Maybe the adrenalin was pumping a bit more. Hasn't seemed to be a problem lately though.

Hawks46

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3a2g978m said:
Largent80":3a2g978m said:

It looked like a bullet to me, also.

Throwing high is usually a sign of being too pumped up, trying too hard.

But, hey, the guy isn't perfect....yet. As long as he keeps growing as a player I'm happy. Touch, feel, confidence, and knowing receivers, comes with time and practice; as does playing within yourself. Two cents.

This is what I see. Someone might want to evaluate Wilson and say he throws high as he's short and trying to get it over the DL. That pass in particular had little arc on it, and would've been deflected.

I've seen Wilson throw consistently high early in big games when he's a little too hyped up. He'll then calm down and start to slice and dice. Other than that, it's situational and not consistent. The good thing is, Wilson takes accountability and won't blame Willson for the first one. He's always working to get better.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1nisjvgj said:

It's especially difficult when the receiver's hands are 2 feet apart trying to catch, what a 6" ball? It was a rocket, but Luke gave himself no chance to catch it.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1ipberd5 said:
Largent80":1ipberd5 said:

It's especially difficult when the receiver's hands are 2 feet apart trying to catch, what a 6" ball? It was a rocket, but Luke gave himself no chance to catch it.

Luke obviously misjudged the speed of the ball. That can happen to any TE early in his career.....he'll get better. Just ask Pete.

canfan

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":21x4tx6f said:
Overall, he's pretty accurate. But sometimes he seems like he makes the receivers stretch out for them when it's not necessary.

Does anybody else remember one of the "talking heads" (Jaws perhaps?) evaluate RW when he was in his draft year. He said that RW has a very "over the top" delivery that would allow him to throw on the same trajectory as a taller QB. What I found interesting was that he said a downside to that delivery would be the likelyhood that when he missed, the tendency would be to miss high.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
canfan":oae74qzp said:
SacHawk2.0":oae74qzp said:

Does anybody else remember one of the "talking heads" (Jaws perhaps?) evaluate RW when he was in his draft year. He said that RW has a very "over the top" delivery that would allow him to throw on the same trajectory as a taller QB. What I found interesting was that he said a downside to that delivery would be the likelyhood that when he missed, the tendency would be to miss high.

Jaws is old and senile, so that makes perfect sense.

I'm just fine with Russell's accuracy, everything else is just nitpicking on particular throws. One overthrow and now we have to make a thread about it? Russell sure as hell was accurate last week throwing dimes to Willson..........on the run.

minormillikin

Reaction score
He misses high a lot, and I don't get why anyone is denying it. It doesn't mean he's not a great QB. But if he has one repeated shortcoming, it's the high throws all three seasons. And it's specific to high throws.

He misses high a lot, but also makes completions with high thrown balls a lot. There have been completions this season where the receiver was wide open, Russ threw high, so the receiver had to stop momentum to jump to make the catch. Not game killing plays, but the difference between decent plays and great plays.

Pinpoint accuracy has never been his greatest strength. The high throws though... I bet I know one guy who is aware of the problem and who will continue to work on it.