Interesting Bruce comment.

nolachawks

Reaction score
Did anybody else hear his interview on Bob and Groz when he said would trade his 2 TD's this year for 2 extra sacks? I think that's crazy but listening to the interview you could tell how much he loves his sacks but really?

BullHawk33

Reaction score
He asked which he preferred, sacks or pick 6. Bruce indicated he preferred sacks.

From a personal pride standpoint, the QB has to make a mistake to get an interception, so while it has more impact for the team, it is more about taking advantage of 1 person's mistake. A sack however, you have to beat the lineman standing in front of you and then go and beat the QB and drop him. You beat 2 people to make it happen, a much more physical accomplishment, which would appeal more to some people.

I don't fault him for the answer and I don't think it says anything about his mentality other than he prefers sacks. He also stated that it is all about the wins in another discussion, so it isn't like he's going to trade one for the other, he's going to take the opportunities as they present themselves.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While he's playing LB and very versatile...he's still a pass rusher and DE at heart. That's all he's saying. That's his comfort zone. Most DEs (not named Watt) don't get pick 6s.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawkfan68":18xelb8x said:
While he's playing LB and very versatile...he's still a pass rusher and DE at heart. That's all he's saying. That's his comfort zone. Most DEs (not named Watt) don't get pick 6s.

Yep, every time anyone ever interviews Bruce, pretty much the first thing Bruce says is "I want more sacks." Every time.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Yep, I remember when he said it after his first pick six this season. Except in that game swapping it out for a sack would have meant we lost. I wonder what the FO make of these comments. Loving his play at the moment, but he's a bit of a bonehead.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I'm sure he believes that he's paid to get sacks and INTs are typically a DB's job. When he talks about trading the two I'm assuming he's saying he'd prefer to have a DB get the pick instead vs nobody getting the pick.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
His contract probably has pay escalation clauses/incentives for sacks, rather than interceptions. So having more sacks likely makes him more money.

OP
OP
nolachawks

nolachawks

Reaction score
I just listened to it again and Bob and Groz are telling him his stats on the year, they say that he's had 2 picks with 2 TDs and Bruce says he'd rather have 2 extra sacks on the year and end up the year at 8.5 sacks than those, I don't think and didn't mean to imply that he would have taken away wins or anything like that but I would think running a pick back for a TD would be a lot more exciting and fun than a sack and it's much more difficult. I think the Seahawks had 37 sacks this year and 2 defensive TD's, 3 teams had no defensive touchdowns (saints, jets, skins). A sack is going to happen, even David King got one but running back a fumble or in t is much more difficult.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wouldn't call him a bonehead, maybe he has a Deacon-Jones heart? As a defensive player I would think you get enjoyment in defeating the offense but maybe he is like a Dennis Rodman-type, just wants to play defense and get rebounds and leave the scoring to the prima-donnas?

Though I do suspect he is a meat-head ... LOL!

Rat

Reaction score
Pass rushers are paid for sacks. TDs are nice, but unless you have a sick number of them, you're unlikely to stand out for them if you're a defensive front 7 guy.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ekdqg8j said:
We're the #1 seed and we're talking about this? Awesome
My computer lets me talk about multiple subjects. You might want to unclick the option that circumscribes your message board topics.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Rat":j77siuii said:
Pass rushers are paid for sacks. TDs are nice, but unless you have a sick number of them, you're unlikely to stand out for them if you're a defensive front 7 guy.
That's it man.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was trying to say that THIS is how good the team is. Talking about something minor like this, instead of freaking out about upcoming games etc. Forgot the sarcasm thing :)

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3mazzvsp said:
Rat":3mazzvsp said:
That's it man.

^^^

He also mentioned the league sack leaders totals and how his 6.5 sacks seemed like "almost nuthin"...

Treghc

Reaction score
People mkaing a big deal about Bruce's comments need to realize that, despite what he's said, he still did intercept those balls (though one was swatted out to him) and returned them for TDs anyways.

The guy is going to make plays on the field, whether they're his preference or not.

themunn

Reaction score
from Irvin's perspective the ball just bounced into his hands for the second pick 6 - no skill whatsoever, just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

Look at the sack/fumble after that though, he blows right past Robinson, he's held on the way and he still forces the fumble on 3rd down - if not for the hold he probably recovers it too (not that it mattered in the end, since the Rams failed to convert 4th down). That's the kind of thing to be proud of.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Not that the comment means anything, but that's a weird preference. Pick 6's are about as nice as it gets on the defensive side. Sacks are nice, but they are more common, and are less gamechanging than pick 6's.

Probably just doesn't like to sprint the field lol. Either that or it has something to do with his contract?