6 inch punch

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Media joked with PC in his presser the other day about the 6 inch punch, after listening to his replies I wondered if he may actually be trying to teach the technique. Any thought to the idea?
[youtube]pC6vRJsBZEg[/youtube]

Pete is asked about it at the 18:55 mark, at first it sounds like a joke, but his answer sounded like they are actually practicing at it.

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9981526&p=1013&n=Wyman, Mike and Moore

Maybe someone could make a gif of the Wagner hit Pete referenced in the presser, I couldn't find a good angle.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
He did mention it and I figure it is a practiced technique. And the hit at the endzone last weekend is indicative of that style. It is on one of our post strings. I am too lazy to go look for it tho.

Barakas

Reaction score
The reference was to Wagner and his statement to Pete about six inch pinch. They were not talking about the Thomas karate chop. This was about the punch Wagner did on the receiver to cause the ball to end up with Irvin for the pick six.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Barakas":3o8efblx said:
The reference was to Wagner and his statement to Pete about six inch pinch. They were not talking about the Thomas karate chop. This was about the punch Wagner did on the receiver to cause the ball to end up with Irvin for the pick six.

I recall now. Beg pardon. Go Hawks.
meow.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, it's all about the ball. Keeping in in control on O and knocking it loose and taking it away on D.

Whatever techniques they practice to do that, I'm down with. :)

netskier

Reaction score
Interestingly, Bruce used to teach this in Seattle. First near the UW HUB, later in China Town, at 7th and King, under the restaurant on the NE corner. I remember him telling us that the one inch punch power came from the hips.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Here's a good video explaining the science behind the power of a punch, I recommend just skipping to 5:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYMX_3K_xE

Not really what Bobby is showing, but I think you can see him kind of harness his entire torso into the punch and not just a wild wind up swing. Which probably is the difference between punching the ball out and having your hand kind of bounce of the ball.

That being said I wonder if there are similar techniques the Seahawks (and other physical teams) teach with their tackling. Because it's probably one thing to just bull rush into someone, it's another thing to bullrush and twist some torso shoulder into it to increase the impact and hopefully wear down the other guy throughout the game. Just speculation but it could be a factor in that whole Seahawks being a second half team as they wear down opposing teams.

OP
OP

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Stumbled on a relevant article today, thought i would share.

"One of the biggest techniques Pete, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and our staff teach is punching the ball out with a six-inch punch," defensive passing game coordinator Rocky Seto told USA TODAY Sports. "We show clips of Bruce Lee striking that six-inch punch against a guy holding a cushion who goes flying."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-gets-most-out-of-seattle-seahawks/21720999/

hawknation2015

Reaction score
12thManHawkFan":1f5alne2 said:
Stumbled on a relevant article today, thought i would share.

"One of the biggest techniques Pete, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and our staff teach is punching the ball out with a six-inch punch," defensive passing game coordinator Rocky Seto told USA TODAY Sports. "We show clips of Bruce Lee striking that six-inch punch against a guy holding a cushion who goes flying."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-gets-most-out-of-seattle-seahawks/21720999/

That's awesome. Bruce Lee's martial arts style, Jeet Kune Do, is literally translated as "Way of the Intercepting Fist."

Rocky Seto is one hell of a coach. He's been coaching with Carroll since 2001.