Michael Bennett: Defensive linemen not treated fairly

hawknation2014

Reaction score
"This is a fantasy football league,'' Bennett said Wednesday. "That's how it's set up now. You take the play that Suh did. He did step on somebody's foot, but he gets fined because it's the quarterback. As a defensive lineman, people are always stepping on you. People always are hitting you in the head. There's always something happening to you, but nobody cares because we're defensive linemen.

"You can't touch a quarterback here, can't put your hand on a receiver there,'' he said. "You have to let them run free.

"But if I get knocked to the ground, the referee just steps over me and says, 'That's part of the game.' If Peyton Manning falls to the ground, the referee helps him get up. I thought everybody was equal, but that's a lie."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104 ... -situation

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Did he forget that Dominic Raiola's suspension was upheld for stepping on a defensive lineman?

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3swz5q6n said:
Did he forget that Dominic Raiola's suspension was upheld for stepping on a defensive lineman?

There is some truth to what Bennett is saying when it comes to protecting offensive players more than defensive players. But you're right that he is ignoring two critical facts in this particular situation: Suh has a long history of unnecessarily jeopardizing player safety and his offensive lineman teammate was recently suspended for intentionally stepping on a defensive lineman's ankle.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I rarely use this one but...

Giphy

He is so incredibly right. It's quickly becoming all about stats. I think that's why our team is so great, we're a team through and through. Only stats that matter are points.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1zvn7j2i said:
Seanhawk":1zvn7j2i said:

There is some truth to what Bennett is saying when it comes to protecting offensive players more than defensive players. But you're right that he is ignoring two critical facts in this particular situation: Suh has a long history of unnecessarily jeopardizing player safety and his offensive lineman teammate was recently suspended for intentionally stepping on a defensive lineman's ankle.

I agree 100% with everything else he said, but my comment was directed specifically at his comments on the Suh situation. You verbalized it better than I did.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Omg, that little step on Erin's foot is so blown out of proportion. The guys in the trenches get stepped on, or punched, or scratched or poked in the eye EVERY DAMN PLAY. Only reason it was a suspension or a fine is because it happened to Erica Rodgers, who is quickly pulling away from Tom Brady in the "I'm a giant pussy" dept.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Bennett has a real complaint. He's been getting mugged all year - but that strikes me as much as refereeing bias against Seattle as anything else.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He's right. I've seen people grab Bennett, tackle him from behind, dive at his knees from behind, all kinds of crap.

I've seen the same thing with Irvin, the only difference is that Bennett is 20 lbs heavier than Irvin and strong as an ox, so you can't always tell how egregioius it is with Bennett as with Irvin.

The two things in common are they play for the Seahawks and they're both on the DL. There's no way the NFL gives a crap about player safety, yet lets these plays go on continually.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Evidently Bennett does no know the difference between intentional and un-intentional. He is an idiot for trying to protect a dirty player.

kearly

Reaction score
I get what Bennett is trying to say, but if you stomp on a guy or do something with malicious intent and it's plain to see on camera, it doesn't really matter who the target is. It could be a guard or it could be a golden boy QB, it will still get the offender a suspension. The reaction has been consistent in both college and the pros. It's not tolerated- when it's caught.

Where I agree with Bennett is that there is a lot of ugly stuff that happens around the LOS that isn't caught on camera. There was an anecdote last week on the radio about Bill Romanowski breaking people's fingers while in dog piles. You hear stuff like this all the time about unspeakable things going on in the trenches, so I think that's where Bennett's perspective is coming from.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
v1rotv2":2e4auny9 said:
Evidently Bennett does no know the difference between intentional and un-intentional. He is an idiot for trying to protect a dirty player.

Bennett is talking about the intentional dirty stuff that goes on in piles or away from the camera. He's not trying to protect Suh here, either. He's talking about how referees and the league protect QBs far more than they do D-Linemen. Do you disagree with either of those points Bennett made? If so, why?

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Found this:

“. … It’s a Fantasy Football league and it’s driven like that statistically the way that they make it, the yards that they do. You can’t tough the quarterback here, you can’t put a hand on the receiver, you have to let them run free. But we (the Seahawks) have figured a way out and just continued to play at a high level.”

Asked what happens when a defensive lineman steps on a quarterback, Bennett said: “They usually get suspended or something like that. They do it to us. If I get knocked on the ground, the referee just steps over me and just says ‘that’s part of the game.’ But if Peyton Manning falls on the ground, the referee helps him off the ground. I thought everybody was equal But that’s a lie.”

You can watch some of what Bennett had to say to the media today below:
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seaha...bennett-on-the-fantasy-football-nfl-and-more/

I like when he called out Faulk
[youtube]wMG_8dxEMxs[/youtube]

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2l5iura5 said:
v1rotv2":2l5iura5 said:

Bennett is talking about the intentional dirty stuff that goes on in piles or away from the camera. He's not trying to protect Suh here, either. He's talking about how referees and the league protect QBs far more than they do D-Linemen. Do you disagree with either of those points Bennett made? If so, why?

I have made the point before, but I think it bears repeating:

$$$$

Particularly where advertising revenue is concerned. QBs are by far the most recognizable players and the NFL must believe they need extra protection in order to protect the 'investment'.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2807157h said:
Seanhawk":2807157h said:

Let's not forget that Bennett is goofy, and that most everything he says has an element of humor, straight face or not. :th2thumbs:

pmedic920

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3k37hmq2 said:
hawknation2014":3k37hmq2 said:
Seanhawk":3k37hmq2 said:

Let's not forget that Bennett is goofy, and that most everything he says has an element of humor, straight face or not. :th2thumbs:

Xact lee why I linked the video above.
IMHO he said it very tongue in cheek, and I think he was being humorous with a touch of serious. Not the other way around.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":b0ux0ydm said:
Smelly McUgly":b0ux0ydm said:
v1rotv2":b0ux0ydm said:

I have made the point before, but I think it bears repeating:

$$$$

Particularly where advertising revenue is concerned. QBs are by far the most recognizable players and the NFL must believe they need extra protection in order to protect the 'investment'.

They don't care about any Seahawks players inluding QB, he's been getting hit back there like nothing all 3 years and probably got only 4-5 calls his way since.

pehawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":1mvjoczv said:
https://twitter.com/birvin_wvu11/status/538390492724355072

No flag or fine on this dirty play against Irvin. Playing the dline has to be incredibly frustrating.

Bruce gets SCREWED...bad...more than any player I can recall. I honestly think he'd be a double digit sack guy if things are equal.

Plays like above make me sick to my stomach.