Pete a "Secondary Whisperer"?

Mick063

Reaction score
No ones develops a secondary better, perhaps in the history of the game. Carroll churns them out like a factory production line.

Seattle will become the db farm team for the NFL. Browner and Thurmond so far. The list will grow.

Every time Seattle claims or trades for a defensive back from another team, the first thing that goes through their fans head is "Did we make a mistake?"

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
^ Yes. Just ask the Jaguars, Eagles, Rams, and Colts about Marcus Burley.

And conversely, whomever picks up Byron Maxwell in the offseason once he fails to live up to their 2015/2016 expectations. :twisted:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
That's basically a rhetorical question at this point. Carroll is the best defensive backs coach this league has ever seen. Carroll has been pumping out absolute studs at safety and CB since at least the 90s. The article doesn't even touch on his early development of Lawyer Milloy and Troy Polamalu (to go along with mentioned connection to the '95 Niners).

I will take it a step further to say that he is an underrated linebacker whisperer as well. Turned USC into a linebacker factory and has Wright, Wagner and Irvin playing like an elite group.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
DavidSeven":4bjpvz60 said:
That's basically a rhetorical question at this point. Carroll is the best defensive backs coach this league has ever seen. Carroll has been pumping out absolute studs at safety and CB since at least the 90s. The article doesn't even touch on his early development of Lawyer Milloy and Troy Polamalu (to go along with mentioned connection to the '95 Niners).

I will take it a step further to say that he is an underrated linebacker whisperer as well. Turned USC into a linebacker factory and has Wright, Wagner and Irvin playing like an elite group.
Ken Norton gets most of the credit for the LBs I'd say, though I give Pete credit for giving Ken a chance at coaching and helping Ken develop his own style.

Mick063

Reaction score
Just waiting for that no name safety Carroll drafted from San Diego State, with the intent of converting to cornerback, to get "developed." A year behind Tharold Simon, I expect similar type results in a year or two.

Heck, Jeron Johnson was an undrafted free agent and he uses better technique than half the safeties in the league.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
sc85sis":86zmxqqr said:
DavidSeven":86zmxqqr said:

Ken Norton gets most of the credit for the LBs I'd say, though I give Pete credit for giving Ken a chance at coaching and helping Ken develop his own style.
Does Sherman Smith get credit for Beast Mode?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Mick063":1b2iplh5 said:
Just waiting for that no name safety Carroll drafted from San Diego State, with the intent of converting to cornerback, to get "developed." A year behind Tharold Simon, I expect similar type results in a year or two.

Heck, Jeron Johnson was an undrafted free agent and he uses better technique than half the safeties in the league.

Actually, Jeron Johnson was pretty good at Boise St. I'm surprised he went undrafted, and I was pretty stoked when we picked him up. You could see it from his rookie preseason. He doesn't have the intimidation of Chancellor, but when Kam goes out, we don't lose much with Johnson back there.

I'm also intrigued by that CB from San Diego St. No one has mentioned Shead yet, who can play Safety and CB in a pinch.

Jefferson also looked good at the beginning of this year. I'm interested to see how well he'll do this next year.

Outside of QB, I'd argue that your secondary is the most important position group in the NFL. If you have a bad secondary, even average QBs can light you up. Pete is the best at developing the secondary, so it stands to reason we're going to be great as long as Pete coaches here.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The main shout out belongs to Pete, but Kris Richard and Rocky Seto should definitely get honorable mentions.

Pete is so good at coaching and developing DBs that I was on the fence about paying my favorite secondary ever big bucks. I would have hated them playing on another team, but seeing how Pete can get great results out of late round prospects it seemed like a waste to put so much of our salary cap into that area. Thankfully they are all great in the locker room and are earning their money and then some so far.