Bye week topic...favorite pre-Pete Hawk squad

endzorn

Reaction score
What was your favorite Hawk team prior to Pete?

I've been a Hawks fan since 80, but because of location I could only watch prime time games and playoff games. I admittedly wasn't able to see all the games until 95 when a Hooters in Fayetteville, NC could steal the Seattle game feed and I haven't missed a game since. Anyway...

I thought the 97 Seahawks were the most fun team to watch prior to Pete. IIRC they had the #3 offense and #8 defense, but the worst special teams unit I've ever seen. It was the first time I felt Seattle could come back from any deficit, but thanks to Ronnie Harris and horrible coverage units Seattle finished 8-8.

el capitan

Reaction score
Favourite squad, I would say probably the '86 Hawks. Krieg, Largent, Warner, John L Williams, Easley, Green, Skansi, Nash etc...so many great players, and kind of reminds me of the current Hawks minus the success.

grizbob

Reaction score
Kinda like picking your favorite child :? But if I gotta, I'd go with Zorn/Krieg and Largent era :th2thumbs:

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Either the 2003 or 2005 Holmgren teams. The 2005 squad obviously reached a greater height, but the 2003 Seahawks were the first team in my time as a fan that felt like a really good team; I had been a fan since 1990, and the only other playoff squad was the one that started 8-2 and then finished 9-7. The 2003 team marked the arrival of some good years under Holmgren.

pehawk

Reaction score
I kind of dug Erickson's squads. I liked what he was building and often wonder "what if" on his tenure.

He was manning the ship during the Behring and LA Seahawks fiasco. He got personnel control for going along with it, and did an underrated job in his drafts. He also had to roll with Mirer as part of the gig, that obviously stunted his growth a bit. We'll never know what could've been, but I liked his overall philosophy; speed everywhere. Erickson was one of the first to prefer his better athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

Specifically, I liked the team that got screwed out of the playoffs by Vinnie's helmet.

I also liked Kriegs last team, that 9-7 division winner.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
el capitan":1lfyafi7 said:
Favourite squad, I would say probably the '86 Hawks. Krieg, Largent, Warner, John L Williams, Easley, Green, Skansi, Nash etc...so many great players, and kind of reminds me of the current Hawks minus the success.
This for me too. Best Hawks team prior to last year or the year before (yes, better than '05 IMO). Without the mid-season slump this team makes the playoffs and wins Seattle's first Owl. They were utterly dominant by season's end.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Chuck Knox years..Dave Kreg,Largent,Curt Warner,Kenny Easley and Joe Nash..It was a lot of fun to see such good teams after going through the Zorny era...I loved that new show bacl then"Inside the NFL"They seemed to love the Hawks on there so it was a bonus...

justafan

Reaction score
I loved the Patera era.It was new,exciting they weren't supposed to beat teams and the team won on heart.The old sprint draw is still one of my favorite plays.

Northhawk

Reaction score
I have followed this team since the beginning. I used to count myself among the most sentimental fans. Knox, Largent, Zorn, Walt, Tez. Kenny, Hutch, etc. ... The thought of them always made me smile. Usually, followed by if only this that or the other thing happened.

However, Pete and this current crew wrecked all that for me. I know, it's a cold thing to say but this team is in a different stratosphere, nothing compares.

Sorry, may be just me but it's how I feel.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I've got to go with the early to mid-80's, too. All the aforementioned players along with Dr. Dan, Mike Tice, Jacob Green, Norm Johnson, Manu Tuiasosopo, and of course Ground Chuck. I was a teenager at the time so I may be remembering it all mixed in with the halcyon days of youth in general...but it really was compelling viewing.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
grizbob":j800jc19 said:
Kinda like picking your favorite child :? But if I gotta, I'd go with Zorn/Krieg and Largent era :th2thumbs:
This!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tough call. The largent, Warner, kreig, Easley teams were the reason I originally became a seahawk. But the kitna, tez, Chris warren teams have a special place in my heart. Some of those teams sucked do bad it made every win feel amazing. Then of course there's the hasselbeck, Shaun, tatupu team which started us into the national conversation. And of course the current team.

I guess obviously I can't choose just one.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
el capitan":19mpqiny said:

The '86 team was a buzz saw that no team wanted to take on. That's what made '87 such a disappointment. Never followed the injuries or roster very closely in those days, so I never knew, and still don't know, the specifics of why they couldn't recapture what they had in '86. Can anyone who paid better attention explain what changed?

RunTheBall

Reaction score
2005 team, that team deserved to have a chance to win it all... sad we will never know what would have happened if the refs called the Super Bowl evenly.

evergreen

Reaction score
it's tough to choose between the '03 and 0'5 Hawks which in case you forgot were awesome. Refs f@cked up both seasons. ('03 had 4 timeouts for Baltimore and a ref taking out asure reception for a td for us against St. Louis) or the '83 and '86 teams. Remember when we almost got Warren Moon in '85? Now that would've been some super bowls....
I guess that '83 Orange Bowl game was better than anything the '05 team did...

Hawkfan77

Reaction score

NFL MVP, Hass, that OL, Lofa and Leroy, Sugar Bear Shake. That was a fun team to watch

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
While I have some awful love for the early Seahawks teams, especially the mid-'80s teams, it's gotta be the '05 'Hawks. They were the first team that just kept on winning and winning and accomplishing the improbable and then what seemed like the impossible. They were the first team to post a 13-3 record, and the first team to make it to the big dance, no matter the outcome. By the end of that season, you just felt they'd win the game. Always before, you got this sinking feeling that they'd find a way to piss it all away, but not the '05 team. They were the first team to give you that confidence, that feeling that we were gonna win the game. The wheels came off with the great ref job of '05, but they were the first team to really make us believe.